PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Hams Talk For So Long?

KB3ZGV
12-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't mean long QSOs. I mean why do they go on and on talking before turning it over to their buddy? I was just listening to some guys having a QSO on 40M, and I timed them. They would talk for 5 to 10 minutes straight and then the other guy would talk just as long.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this, but it is the first time I've timed it. Not that I care how somebody else talks to his buddy, but I was just wondering why this is so common.

NQ6U
12-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Burt Jr. strikes again. Your posts are no longer worth reading so, see ya.

KJ3N
12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Burt Jr. strikes again. You're posts are no longer worth reading so, see ya.

Especially when they're recycled locked threads from QRZ. :roll:

WØTKX
12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
http://personal.erodov.com/vijayninel/images/Yoda_troll_side.jpg

KG4CGC
12-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Was it AM? The hotter you get the toobs, the better your voice sounds.
Otherwise, you can walk down any small town main street a find a collection of fossils sitting around. Time them.

WA4TM
12-12-2012, 06:19 PM
It's about the same as posting over and over on an internet forum where no one gives a shit in the first place.. on and on with nothing said.

KB3ZGV
12-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Was it AM? The hotter you get the toobs, the better your voice sounds.
Otherwise, you can walk down any small town main street a find a collection of fossils sitting around. Time them.

Today it was 40 M USB. but I notice it a lot. Maybe just an age thing I don't know.

It seems funny because it isn't the normal back and forth exchange of people talking on the street. It is more like like back in the day when people use to write letters back and forth. It was like each transmission covered like 5 subjects, and then his buddy would address those 5 subjects.

NQ6U
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
GZV's threads are sort of like Groundhog Day, only without the possibility of redemption by getting it right.

W8XLR
12-12-2012, 06:49 PM

KJ3N
12-12-2012, 06:54 PM
http://personal.erodov.com/vijayninel/images/Yoda_troll_side.jpg

:rofl:

KJ3N
12-12-2012, 06:55 PM
GZV's threads are sort of like Groundhog Day, only without the possibility of redemption by getting it right.

:snicker:

N2CHX
12-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Today it was 40 M USB. but I notice it a lot. Maybe just an age thing I don't know.

It seems funny because it isn't the normal back and forth exchange of people talking on the street. It is more like like back in the day when people use to write letters back and forth. It was like each transmission covered like 5 subjects, and then his buddy would address those 5 subjects.

Ummm yeah. That's the nature of simplex communication.

WØTKX
12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Very common in AM roundtable QSO's. On SSB, folks try to do this... But the fact is two or three SSB stations can "double", and frequently still be understood. Now, go practice by timing out your local repeaters.

kb2vxa
12-12-2012, 08:39 PM
They're called old buzzard transmissions as in Hiram W1OB the old buzzard of Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts. (Ask Timtron.) 4-400s don't put out enough heat unless they're transmitting, keeps the shack warm on a cold winter night.

That's enough troll food, too much and you'll get fat.

W8XLR
12-12-2012, 08:47 PM

KB3ZGV
12-12-2012, 10:42 PM
I was wondering if it was some kind of throw-back to their CW days or something. I was just taking notice to normal conversation with "non hams" and it seems like they go back and forth about every 5 to 10 seconds.

KA9MOT
12-13-2012, 12:21 AM
It's called a Rag Chew.... I'm starting to see the troll in you...........

Why would you notice, much less care? Turn the VFO or key the mic during a pause or a bathroom break and say hello. You might enjoy yourself.

KG4CGC
12-13-2012, 12:34 AM
My newest troll picture snagged from the web.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/bigtroll1_zps8f5f2670.png

NA4BH
12-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Actually the long QSO's date back to around the time that Amateur Radio was coming of age. The long QSO's were necessary to boil off the electrons of crude designed tubes. The impurities in the metal would cause terrible arcing, which would result in an almost garbled unrecognizable transmission, which would make the first part of the QSO's literally junk. The longer, the better. Also the microphones were almost totally carbon based and would take time for the sound waves to loosen them up enough to work properly. The operators that do this today probably were around when this took place and feel this is normal for every QSO. Later generations have repeated this much needed "cleansing" of the electronics over the years. With today's "modern" equipment there is a strong argument over the benefits of alternating electron/proton washing of the certain capacitors in the TX chain (during transmission). I haven't kept up with the latest reports on this, but it does make sense. If I remember correctly it was Ed Briley et.al. that discovered this phenomenon back in the '60s.

KB3ZGV
12-13-2012, 01:08 AM
It's called a Rag Chew.... I'm starting to see the troll in you...........

Why would you notice, much less care? Turn the VFO or key the mic during a pause or a bathroom break and say hello. You might enjoy yourself.

Where did I say it bothered me?

Truthfully, I feel like I am doing it wrong. If I transmit for 30 seconds, it's one of my longer transmissions. Maybe it's just from growing up between Philly and NYC, but quick back and forth convo, and fast talk seems normal to me.

KG4CGC
12-13-2012, 01:12 AM
As children, we are taught not to tie up the repeater.

KB3ZGV
12-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Seriously, I think people think I'm being unfriendly or something. They talk for five minutes, and they get a thirty second reply from me.

WN9HJW
12-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Deleted

KB3ZGV
12-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Not unfriendly. Just uninteresting.

Everybody is uninteresting.

Really, how interesting is stuff like the weather and what kind of power supply you are running?

Even in "real life" most people are uninteresting. That doesn't stop me from trying to be nice to them.

N8YX
12-13-2012, 07:36 AM
I can't tell you my life story in ten 30-second exchanges, that's why. :lol:

N2CHX
12-13-2012, 07:48 AM

Really, how interesting is stuff like the weather and what kind of power supply you are running?

Even in "real life" most people are uninteresting. That doesn't stop me from trying to be nice to them.

Who's not being nice to you?

KK4AMI
12-13-2012, 08:45 AM
SWLers are the worst, just gab, gab, gab. I had to take up Ham radio cuz my wife was getting so worried about me talking to myself.

KB3ZGV
12-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Who's not being nice to you?

Nobody.

It's me, I feel like I'm being kind of curt with them. But good god, I can't fill up 5 minutes of airtime with small talk, no matter how hard I try

WA4TM
12-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Nobody.

It's me, I feel like I'm being kind of curt with them. But good god, I can't fill up 5 minutes of airtime with small talk, no matter how hard I try

Just pretend you are posting here!

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Actually the long QSO's date back to around the time that Amateur Radio was coming of age. The long QSO's were necessary to boil off the electrons of crude designed tubes. The impurities in the metal would cause terrible arcing, which would result in an almost garbled unrecognizable transmission, which would make the first part of the QSO's literally junk. The longer, the better. Also the microphones were almost totally carbon based and would take time for the sound waves to loosen them up enough to work properly. The operators that do this today probably were around when this took place and feel this is normal for every QSO. Later generations have repeated this much needed "cleansing" of the electronics over the years. With today's "modern" equipment there is a strong argument over the benefits of alternating electron/proton washing of the certain capacitors in the TX chain (during transmission). I haven't kept up with the latest reports on this, but it does make sense. If I remember correctly it was Ed Briley et.al. that discovered this phenomenon back in the '60s.

Also, long QSOs allow the excess areffs to dissipate. This improves one's signal to wave ratio. A good coating of antenna wax helps the areffs to bleed off the wire.

N2CHX
12-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Also, long QSOs allow the excess areffs to dissipate. This improves one's signal to wave ratio. A good coating of antenna wax helps the areffs to bleed off the wire.

Yes, but you need to make sure your wouff hong is at resonance so it absorbs the areffs, otherwise you will have a big mess on your hands.

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes, but you need to make sure your wouff hong is at resonance so it absorbs the areffs, otherwise you will have a big mess on your hands.

This is true. It's always a good idea to have a grid leak drip pan under your wouff hong in any case.

NA4BH
12-13-2012, 10:41 AM

I've found that the higher viscosity wax will hold more heat on the antenna allowing it to send the signal farther and faster into the atmosphere.

N2CHX
12-13-2012, 10:42 AM
This is true. It's always a good idea to have a grid leak drip pan under your wouff hong in any case.

Even a towel will do, if you can't afford a pan.

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I've found that the higher viscosity wax will hold more heat on the antenna allowing it to send the signal farther and faster into the atmosphere.

Good info, Bob, thanks!

N2CHX
12-13-2012, 10:49 AM

But remember, the higher viscosity wax impedes the negatron cycle. The negatron cycle is essential for getting through cumulonimbus clouds, therefore an antenna with high viscosity wax is not very useful in bad weather conditions. This is why whackers seldom use it, as it prevents reliable communication near thunderstorms, tornadoes and hurricanes, etc.

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 10:54 AM
But remember, the higher viscosity wax impedes the negatron cycle. The negatron cycle is essential for getting through cumulonimbus clouds, therefore an antenna with high viscosity wax is not very useful in bad weather conditions.

I've heard that but don't completely agree. You must keep in mind that the outgoing positrons will ionize the hydrogen atoms in the wax and negate that effect significantly.

This is why whackers seldom use it, as it prevents reliable communication near thunderstorms, tornadoes and hurricanes, etc.

This brings up the question of why, if this is the case, do emcomm whackers spend so much time polishing their rubber duckies?

NY4Q
12-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I hate that long-winded $hit. If you have to take more than one breath, you're talking toooo f'n long!

NA4BH
12-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I've heard that but don't completely agree. You must keep in mind that the outgoing positrons will ionize the hydrogen atoms in the wax and negate that effect significantly.

This brings up the question of why, if this is the case, do emcomm whackers spend so much time polishing their rubber duckies?

Is that taking in the effect of ball energy release at 200 watts +/- (1.3%)? This is where a lot of people miss the angle trajectory limitation calculations.

N2CHX
12-13-2012, 11:07 AM

Sure, if you use a heavily hydrogenated wax, but there's a lot of talk of banning that stuff and a lot of companies have stopped making it because it's so bad for the environment.

Well, no one's going to polish it for them, so what else are they going to do?

KJ3N
12-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Well, no one's going to polish it for them, so what else are they going to do?

:rofl: :rofl:

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Is that taking in the effect of ball energy release at 200 watts +/- (1.3%)? This is where a lot of people miss the angle trajectory limitation calculations.

I was using the Feinstein/Gellar equations that calculate the energy release at .070 rather than 1.3% but otherwise, yes. The differences between the results are not generally significant.

kb2vxa
12-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Antenna wax doesn't work well on rubber duckies so they use rubber polish paying particular attention to the knob. That prevents stray electrons from getting on their hands and dribbling on the floor. Nothing works better than a well lubricated rubber.............. duckie.

NA4BH
12-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I was using the Feinstein/Gellar equations that calculate the energy release at .070 rather than 1.3% but otherwise, yes. The differences between the results are not generally significant.

Old school, I like it.

KB3ZGV
12-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Funny, I'm noticing a trend. The higher frequency bands have shorter transmission times.

The other thing is, the lower bands are whiter.

Is it the frequency? Or do white people just talk too long?

VE7DCW
12-13-2012, 12:07 PM

I just love this theory used in calculation of the exact spot for the formation of a tertiary subspace anomoly....way cool! :yes:

n2ize
12-13-2012, 12:08 PM

Those types of transmissions are quite common among the AM'ers or, at least used to be common among the AM;ers. In AM vernacular (or Timtron-ese) we call it the "Old Buzzard Transmission" or "round table" I think it might date back to the old days when many transmitters were operated manually, via a toggle switch" and didn;t have PTT or VOX, etc. You would flip the switch to turn on the plates and what you had at that point was a live mic on the air. It's a relaxed mode of operation. One guy makes a transmission talking about his thoughts, ideas, opinions, projects, etc. Then he passes it on to the next person who does the same, then the next person and it goes around in that order each time around the person who;s turn it is to talk commenting on what others have said and/or adding new material to the discussion. When a person in the round table makes a particularly long transmission, say > 10 min or where he has to ID one or more times during a single transmission we say that person made a real "Old Buzzard Transmission".

The round table has it's advantages and disadvantage. When the group becomes large it takes a long time for your turn to come around and by that time you may forget what others have said, unless you take notes. On the plus side it can be a relaxed way to have a QSO. You could be going about your business while casually listening in to the round table and then jump in when your turn comes up. Some hams love round tables others hate them and prefer break in..

Incidentally, if you think a 5 or 10 minute transmission is long, forget it. That is short. I knew a few old time AM'ers who would make transmissions closer to 30 minutes long or maybe longer,,,giving their id several times during the transmission. These says I hear AM'ers operating break-in mode more often as opposed to making old buzzards. But there are still plenty of us "Old Buzzards" out there. :)

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Old school, I like it.

Works well when calculating the inter-element meta-impedance of third level hydrogen gas-filled VLF transmit retarders.

KB3ZGV
12-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Speaking of transmissions,,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

WØTKX
12-13-2012, 01:39 PM
http://pcbunn.cacr.caltech.edu/jjb/MagicEye/animated.gif

N8YX
12-13-2012, 01:46 PM

http://gifs.gifbin.com/sw50sw8sw578.gif

KG4CGC
12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/sw50sw8sw578.gif

The YX man is correct. It does smack of racism.
Besides, I can't see the man behind the mic on amateur radio. Even if I could, voices can fool you.

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
ZGV is a troll. Don't give him any more attention.

KG4CGC
12-13-2012, 02:08 PM
ZGV is a troll. Don't give him any more attention.

You say that like you're an innocent bitch.

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Yeah, I know. I just came to the conclusion in the last few minutes.

N8YX
12-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Besides, I can't see the man behind the mic on amateur radio. Even if I could, voices can fool you.
We had a sizable 10M net in the Akron area during the late 80s.

I was the only white guy in attendance.

Charles is correct - regional dialects and accents accounted for, one voice sounds much like another given the right amount of processor.

WØTKX
12-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Especially with a D-104. ;)

KG4CGC
12-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I know. I just came to the conclusion in the last few minutes.

It's OK, sometimes we all poke ourselves in the eye. Which is why your one eyed avatar is appropriate right now.

NA4BH
12-13-2012, 02:18 PM
We had a sizable 10M net in the Akron area during the late 80s.

How big was the boat?

n2ize
12-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Seriously, I think people think I'm being unfriendly or something. They talk for five minutes, and they get a thirty second reply from me.

You are probably using the wrong kind of equipment.. Get yourself a nice boatanchor.. A Johnson Ranger, Valiant, or a Heathkit Apache, or maybe a nice BC-610, or a Globe King 500, or a Johnson 500. Or, build yourself up a homebrew 813 rig or maybe a 4-400 modulated by a pair of 572B's.. Put a Dow Key in line to switch the transmitter and receiver in and out of line. Or , use a separate receive and transmit antenna. Make sure you run it MOX all the way. Then wait for a cold winter night and tune up on 75 or 160 meters.Once you throw that switch and hear the solid click of the relays and you start watching the plates on those finals glowing orange and feel that warm air blowing from inside you won;t want to unkey. The length of your transmissions will rapidly start to increase.

KJ3N
12-13-2012, 02:25 PM

Nah, just a whinny bitch.

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Nah, just a whinny bitch.

You gotta problem widdat?

KB3ZGV
12-13-2012, 02:32 PM

You think I offended white guys by saying they are long winded?

WØTKX
12-13-2012, 02:33 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Electronic+Art_0a68ba_4277550.jpg

NY4Q
12-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Maybe I should have said, I despise that long-winded $hit on SSB. On AM, I expect it and enjoy listening to those fellows.

The AM'rs seems to be about the only place you can hear a technical discussion anymore. Although I do enjoy hearing about the "pus bus", etc...

KJ3N
12-13-2012, 02:44 PM
You gotta problem widdat?

Me and da boys is comin' over dere and gifs youse an addy-toot adjustment.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/05/23/sopranos460.jpg

N2CHX
12-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Well, this devolved into Shitsville. Oh wait....

KJ3N
12-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Well, this devolved into Shitsville. Oh wait....

It's a rude awaking when you realize where you're at, isn't it? ;)

KA9MOT
12-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Damn it! You guys are a HOOT! :rofl:

VE7DCW
12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Funny, I'm noticing a trend. The higher frequency bands have shorter transmission times.

I'm going through this thread ........and by this statement "....the lower bands are whiter" ........ i'm hoping that was a misspelling and "whiter" was supposed to be "wider" as in bandwith....if not, the alternative does not bear thinking about..:irked:

NA4BH
12-13-2012, 04:54 PM
A wider shade of pale

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm going through this thread ........and by this statement "....the lower bands are whiter" ........ i'm hoping that was a misspelling and "whiter" was supposed to be "wider" as in bandwith....

Except that they're not. All the lower HF bands (everything below 10m) add up to a total of just a hair over 2MHz (2.05MHz to be exact) in bandwidth and takes up less than half the bandwidth of the 2m band.

NA4BH
12-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Except that they're not. All the lower HF bands (everything below 10m) add up to a total of just a hair over 2MHz (2.05MHz to be exact) in bandwidth and takes up less than half the bandwidth of the 2m band.

Which Raytheon chart are you using?

VE7MGF
12-13-2012, 09:54 PM
wider as in larger size pants

NQ6U
12-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Which Raytheon chart are you using?

The one with the picture of a girl with the huge...tracts of land wearing a bikini while holding an RK-65 in a provocative manner.

n2ize
12-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Maybe I should have said, I despise that long-winded $hit on SSB. On AM, I expect it and enjoy listening to those fellows.

The AM'rs seems to be about the only place you can hear a technical discussion anymore. Although I do enjoy hearing about the "pus bus", etc...

It's more about content than mode. Long transmissions are fine in any mode if the person making them is saying something interesting. But if it's just mundane stuff like "I woke up, went to the toilet, shaved, took the dog for a walk, took out the garbage, made pancakes, etc..." I would rather listen to a long transmission with interesting content and relevant information than a short transmission with trivial information. And vice versa, A short transmission that is interesting and conveys useful info is preferable to a long one that conveys nothing.

And yes, I agree with you as far as the AM'ers go. I really miss AM and I am getting desperate to get back on once again. I used to have a lot of fun on there in the 80's and 90's.

N7YA
12-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Well, im the wrong guy to ask on this particular situation since im one of those cold, disconnected '5NNTU' assholes who has been ruining the hobby for...oh...i'd say about 100 years now.

Funny thing, if we're so bad, then why do both parties involved in a rapid-fire exchange enjoy it so much? I dunno...carry on...for 10 to 15 minutes straight if you like. :lol:

N2CHX
12-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Personally, I think if two or more people are enjoying a QSO together, that's the essence of ham radio. Why is it anyone else's business WHAT they're talking about and how they say it, as long as they're not breaking any rules? If you don't like what you're hearing, find another frequency.

WA4TM
12-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Personally, I think if two or more people are enjoying a QSO together, that's the essence of ham radio. Why is it anyone else's business WHAT they're talking about and how they say it, as long as they're not breaking any rules? If you don't like what you're hearing, find another frequency.

X2....

WØTKX
12-14-2012, 08:49 PM
http://www.layabozi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/vacuum_tube_radio_hat.jpg

KG4CGC
12-14-2012, 09:26 PM
That's a girl radio! I want a boy radio!

KA9MOT
12-14-2012, 09:36 PM

YUUUUP!

KA9MOT
12-14-2012, 09:38 PM

Remember the headphones with the FM radio in them in the early 1980s (Pre Walkman)? Prototype model!

kb2vxa
12-14-2012, 10:07 PM
What prototype? I had one of those, worked rather 0.5 gluteus maximus.

n2ize
12-15-2012, 04:20 AM

Exactly right. I couldn't agree more.

KB3ZGV
12-15-2012, 05:26 AM
From my original post.

Not that I care how somebody else talks to his buddy, but I was just wondering why this is so common.

Why do I sometimes feel like I'm talking to a bunch of DB from the third reading group

N2CHX
12-15-2012, 07:52 AM

From my original post.

Why do I sometimes feel like I'm talking to a bunch of DB from the third reading group

And I was just making a point. Aside from that it obviously does bother you, despite your claims that it doesn't.

If you don't like talking for more than thirty seconds, but you find things like exchanging info on antennas, radios, signal and the local weather to be too mundane to bother with, I have to ask.... What the fuck did you get into ham radio for in the first place? I mean, you've pretty much written off everything you can do with ham radio except send nudie pics on 75 meters with SSTV. I mean, there's more, but what would be the point? Because it all involves communication, which you obviously aren't interested in doing.

Did you get your license so you'd have new frequencies to tweak up your echo mic, turn the modulation up to 150% and yell Aaaaaaaauuuuudioooooooo all day? Sure seems like it.

KB3ZGV
12-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Antennas are interesting, 25 amp power supplies are "ho hum"

Haven't owned a CB since the 70's

N7YA
12-15-2012, 09:27 AM
25 amp power supplies are "ho hum"

Sounds like you need a cleaner power supply.

n2ize
12-16-2012, 03:58 AM
From my original post.

Perhaps you have poor reading skills as it was explained to you by myself and several others here. Some hams operate "break-in" at random and make short transmissions. Others operate in a "round table" fashion and tend to make long or (olde buzzard) transmissions covering what others in the group have said before passing it on to the next member in the group rotation. . There is no moderator as it is more like a round robin and the group can be anywhere >= 2 persons in size. Both styles of operating have their advantages and disadvantages. Some hams prefer one over the other and some do both.

n2ize
12-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Did you get your license so you'd have new frequencies to tweak up your echo mic, turn the modulation up to 150% and yell Aaaaaaaauuuuudioooooooo all day? Sure seems like it.

And not asymmetrical either. Gotta get those nice negative "peaks".

kb2vxa
12-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Methinks you mean positive peaks but anyway there's an easier way to get more than 100% modulation than asymmetrical audio shaping, it's done with RF. W3 Drink Up Quick came up with a novel bit of engineering, the upside down tube modulator. The grids are fed push pull while the plates are parallel so over modulation is inverted in the positive direction. It's not very efficient so for a strapping signal it's ideal for driving an amp. Yeah, I know the clamp is connected wrong but you get the idea.

K7SGJ
12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Sounds like you need a cleaner power supply.

I thought ho hums were something you could get in Vegas. They don't do that anymore?

N7YA
12-17-2012, 01:59 AM
I know nothing of what you speak!! :whistle:

KG4CGC
12-17-2012, 02:35 AM

KA9MOT
12-17-2012, 02:41 AM
I thought ho hums were something you could get in Vegas. They don't do that anymore?

Well... They do...... but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas..... unless you catch something Ajax won't take off.....

KK4AMI
12-17-2012, 07:27 AM
"Well... They do...... but what (I did) in Vegas I've long since forgot ....."

"Did you get your license so you'd have new frequencies to tweak up your echo mic, turn the modulation up to 150% and yell Aaaaaaaauuuuudioooooooo all day? Sure seems like it."

Sorry, (Nostalgic tear) You guys are just bringing up some long forgotten fond memories of working in a Cahokia, Illinois Radio Shack in the 70s and TDY at Nellis AFB in the 80s. :sadgoodbye:

KA9MOT
12-17-2012, 07:45 AM
"Well... They do...... but what (I did) in Vegas I've long since forgot ....."

"Did you get your license so you'd have new frequencies to tweak up your echo mic, turn the modulation up to 150% and yell Aaaaaaaauuuuudioooooooo all day? Sure seems like it."

Sorry, (Nostalgic tear) You guys are just bringing up some long forgotten fond memories of working in a Cahokia, Illinois Radio Shack in the 70s and TDY at Nellis AFB in the 80s. :sadgoodbye:

Hey, I lived in Cahokia in 1970. I did the 4th grade there. A little girl named Anita broke my heart and we moved back to PA! Not because she broke my heart.... I was just summarizing.

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Hey, I lived in Cahokia in 1970. I did the 4th grade there. A little girl named Anita broke my heart and we moved back to PA! Not because she broke my heart.... I was just summarizing.

Apparently Anita's last name wasn't Mann?

KK4AMI
12-17-2012, 07:53 AM

I went to Parks College in Cahokia from 74 to 77. I worked the Radio Shack there to make extra money. That was during the CB craze. I made a fortune building briefcase CBs for company truckers.

PS- we must have passed each other on I-70 because I came from PA. :lol:

KK4AMI
12-17-2012, 07:56 AM

Gawd I'm slow. But I got it! :rofl:

NY3V
12-17-2012, 07:56 AM

You're in luck! Here is her facebook photo.

I sent her your address! ;)

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 10:48 AM

You're in luck! Here is her facebook photo.

I sent her your address! ;)

Hey, that's my little sister. You should have seen her BEFORE her facelift.

KB3ZGV
12-17-2012, 11:11 AM

Maybe it was,,,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsKzFXXlZyU

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Gawd I'm slow. But I got it! :rofl:

Not that slow. Only took you four minutes.

N7YA
12-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Hey, that's my little sister. You should have seen her BEFORE her facelift.

I think they lifted it a little too much!

KK4AMI
12-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Not that slow. Only took you four minutes.

I didn't tell you about the three minute Google search on Anita Mann before I figured out the joke. :oops:

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I didn't tell you about the three minute Google search on Anita Mann before I figured out the joke. :oops:

N7YA
12-17-2012, 09:44 PM
I respect your candor. :lol:

KK4AMI
12-17-2012, 09:45 PM

Hey! Apparently I'm not the only one, how do you think ZGV came up with the Anita Mann video so fast!

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Hey! Apparently I'm not the only one, how do you think ZGV came up with the Anita Mann video so fast!

I'm just pickin' on you. I was gonna say I love you but I don't want you gettin' the wrong idea.

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm just pickin' on you. I was gonna say I love you but I don't want you gettin' the wrong idea.

:popcorn:

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 09:57 PM
:popcorn:

Don't worry, there's plenty of love for you too.

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Don't worry, there's plenty of love for you too.

Love me long time? ;) :lol:

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 10:02 PM
I respect your candor. :lol:

I thought that was a bird in the vulture family.

KK4AMI
12-17-2012, 10:05 PM

I wouldn't, I know my place and I'm on a short leash! But thanks!

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 10:06 PM
I thought that was a bird in the vulture family.

That's a condor, you bastid. :slap:

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Huh, I always get those two mixed up.

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Love me long time? ;) :lol:

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 10:08 PM
El Candor Passa?

KB3ZGV
12-17-2012, 10:11 PM
how do you think ZGV came up with the Anita Mann video so fast!

I've been to her shows

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 10:12 PM
El Candor Passa?

So, which one are you? Simon, or Garfunkel?

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Yeah, we'll its damned cramped in this POB....

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 10:15 PM
So, which one are you? Simon, or Garfunkel?

Cheech.

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah, we'll its damned cramped in this POB....

But at least you have air conditioning.

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Cheech.

I don't think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pey29CLID3I&sns=em

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't think so.

Gah! No. God, are you THAT old?

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Yep, he watched the profits write the words on the subway walls.

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 10:39 PM

I sat in front of my tv to watch the Apollo 11 moon landing, exactly one week before my 9th birthday.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 10:42 PM
I sat in front of my tv to watch the Apollo 11 moon landing, exactly one week before my 9th birthday.

Ah, you're not THAT old then. Old enough to be my father, but still :snicker:

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Ah, you're not THAT old then. Old enough to be my father, but still :snicker:

Who's your daddy? ;) :rofl:

n2ize
12-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Yeah, the NYC Transit system had some awesome graffiti artists around back in the 1960's and 70's.

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Who's your daddy? ;) :rofl:

Father Jim? Doesn't sound quite right.

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Father Jim? Doesn't sound quite right.

Check with Pope Carlo.

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Check with Pope Carlo.

He ordained you? That's kinda like having the fox watch the hen house, no?

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 10:48 PM

:whistle:

NQ6U
12-17-2012, 10:56 PM

For the right price, I'll ordain anyone. Hell, give me a bottle of Macallan 1926 (http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/13/cx_np_0614featslide.html?thisSpeed=35000) and I'll ordain everyone on the Island, male, female, Catholic or not. Any takers? Ron? Kelli?

http://images.forbes.com/media/lifestyle/2006/06/14/1_0614feat1.jpg

—Pope Carlo l

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 10:57 PM
For the right price, I'll ordain anyone. Hell, give me a bottle of Macallan 1926 (http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/13/cx_np_0614featslide.html?thisSpeed=35000) and I'll ordain everyone on the Island, male, female, Catholic or not. Any takers? Ron? Kelli?

http://images.forbes.com/media/lifestyle/2006/06/14/1_0614feat1.jpg

—Pope Carlo l

Yeah sure, I can afford that. Just put it on your tab.

N7YA
12-17-2012, 11:24 PM

related to.....

Perhaps??

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Good eye

kb2vxa
12-18-2012, 05:05 PM
In the better late than never department:

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ

IZE replies
Yeah, the NYC Transit system had some awesome graffiti artists around back in the 1960's and 70's.

Yeah, the NYC Transit system had some awesome employees around back in the 1960's and 70's posting notices of fare increase.
There, I guess John doesn't know prophets from PROFITS. (;->)

KA9MOT
12-18-2012, 05:38 PM

Jeez.... you are old! I was 8!

KA9MOT
12-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Anita Little.........
Anita Cookie?
Anita Life?

NQ6U
12-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Get off my lawn, kid.

W8XLR
12-18-2012, 07:07 PM

Old Buzzards... I was only 5, but remember that day as clear as yesterday... I bet you guys make those looooong transmissions, using the dreaded AM mode...

N8YX
12-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Anita Little.........
Anita Cookie?
Anita Life?
BeeJay.

K7SGJ
12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Old Buzzards... I was only 5, but remember that day as clear as yesterday... I bet you guys make those looooong transmissions, using the dreaded AM mode...

Hell, I can't even remember yesterday.

KJ3N
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Hell, I can't even remember yesterday.

Geezer. :neener:

KG4CGC
12-18-2012, 11:54 PM
BeeJay.

Mandalay. Anita Mandalay.

WX7P
12-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Get off my lawn, kid.

No shit. I was almost 12.

NQ6U
12-19-2012, 12:23 AM
No shit. I was almost 12.

I was already driving a car.

And, I am not shitting you, there was a name in the obits some time back: Anita Dickman.

kb2vxa
12-19-2012, 02:59 PM

KA9MOT
12-19-2012, 03:04 PM
BeeJay.

Well thanx for the offer but.... :lol:

n2ize
12-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Somebody went...Kaput. :snicker:

kb2vxa
12-23-2012, 09:17 PM
And that's not all.

WA4TM
12-23-2012, 09:25 PM

N7YA
12-24-2012, 04:37 AM
To be an ass man is one thing, to be remembered for it is solid...but to be a proud ass man and find a wife who is fine with it....thats outstanding!

My hats off to Mr Paul Assman!

kb2vxa
12-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Their escapades might have been a bit...

N7YA
12-25-2012, 09:09 PM

KA9MOT
12-26-2012, 02:43 AM

I'd certainly Puke on my Pancake is I saw Hiscock and it was a Boner.... but, that's just me......

NQ6U
12-26-2012, 12:07 PM

I hope her husband was named "Thor."

KG4CGC
12-26-2012, 04:12 PM
http://www.randomshit.com/go.php?site=EtR8Ycyvra5c95to0Y3cO7GEF4Wg0PHq
http://www.randomshit.com/go.php?site=EtR8Ycyvra5c95to0Y3cO7GEF4Wg0PHq
http://www.randomshit.com/go.php?site=7jPaty8DsRa72ZeqfcIOXPAE9zSgprBX