PDA

View Full Version : A Month and a Half Until Christmas...

N2NH
11-11-2012, 12:37 AM
What, if anything, would you like to give under the tree?

What, if anything, would you like to see under the tree?

Maybe, just maybe, we'll get an HF rig w/ antenna...

If I have a tree this year, I'm going to try and stick a train under it...

KG4CGC
11-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Mah friend in Wisconsin used to run a train under a tree every year.

PA5COR
11-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Already gave myself aa present, bought a other car, ditched the van, now driving the Hyundai atoz with auto transmission, good for 40 miles per gallon and very low road tax.
;)
Doss't fit under the tree though...

N8YX
11-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Already gave myself aa present, bought a other car, ditched the van, now driving the Hyundai atoz with auto transmission, good for 40 miles per gallon and very low road tax.
;)
Doss't fit under the tree though...
You just need a bigger tree. :mrgreen:

PA5COR
11-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Bigger tree won't fit in the house, i know, get a bigger house.....:bowdown: already have 4 bedrooms for 2 persons...

suddenseer
11-11-2012, 10:50 AM
The rail road under the tree brings back wonderful memories. Thanks for priming the pump.

kb2vxa
11-11-2012, 06:15 PM
"If I have a tree this year, I'm going to try and stick a train under it..."

Nachurlee, we expect nothing less of you. An EP-3 reminds me of an EMD "baby-face" Diesel with a pantograph. Down this way on the Pennsy we had GG-1s, MP-54s, E-43s and E-44s and an assortment of Baldwin and EMD Diesels operating south of South Amboy. There was a 10 minute engine change and everybody ran across the street to the bar.

Me? All I want for Christmas is my two frontnt tee<whistle>fff.

N7YA
11-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Nothing under the tree for me this year...all i want is to try and build up our savings and get the hell outta here by next year. We wont be buying anything for a while.

KG4CGC
11-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Whirled Peas. However, in order to achieve such a feat, the few must succumb to the many.

N2NH
11-12-2012, 03:35 AM
"If I have a tree this year, I'm going to try and stick a train under it..."

Nachurlee, we expect nothing less of you. An EP-3 reminds me of an EMD "baby-face" Diesel with a pantograph. Down this way on the Pennsy we had GG-1s, MP-54s, E-43s and E-44s and an assortment of Baldwin and EMD Diesels operating south of South Amboy. There was a 10 minute engine change and everybody ran across the street to the bar.

Me? All I want for Christmas is my two frontnt tee<whistle>fff.

They had similar change-overs at Croton-Harmon, NY on the New York Central Mainline (now Metro North's Hudson Line) and at New Haven, CT on the New Haven RR. As far as I know, nobody had the foresight to put a bar at the change over stations on those lines. They DID have the famous (or infamous) bar cars on both lines back then though.

The train I used to run under the tree was an N-scale New Haven "Cranberry" which was a nice Cranberry Red (bright Crimson for non New Haven fans). My dogs and cats would watch it go around for hours and if it derailed, they'd come and get me to fix it. Miss them, miss the Cranberry and miss all those Christmases. Well, hope to get a tree and a train and start it up all over again. Maybe a cat and dog by next year? (How's about it Santa?)
:yes:

http://i49.tinypic.com/1z70w1v.jpg

N7YA
11-12-2012, 05:06 AM
I did have a cool old Lionel set when i was a kid. My mom put it under the tree for me, I loved the fact that it had a little headlamp and smoke that would come out of the stack in little puffs.

kb2vxa
11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
My friend across the street had one of those and a PRR GG-1 electric that made me turn green with envy. I had a cheesy Marx tin can set that turned into a sought after classic, a Lionel O-27 freight set with a steam engine and a USATC gas turbine switcher and a Lionel O gauge passenger set that had the heaviest model steam loco I've ever seen. It had two lighted coaches and an OB car in an odd blue and white livery as opposed to the usual Tuscan Red Pullmans. The couplers were weird, instead of the usual knuckles it had hooks that fitted into a magnetically controlled thingamabob just above the hook. That set was from the 1930s which predates the 1950s Wabash merger with the Pennsylvania and its classic Bluebird, must have been a special train of some sort but darn if I can find any info on it.

Those models went long unused due to housing circumstances but they found a home when I got my ham license. Turned out that Gene Niemiec K2KJI owner of KJI Electronics is a model railroad enthusiast as well as a dealer so I traded them for my first ham station.

K7SGJ
11-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I did have a cool old Lionel set when i was a kid. My mom put it under the tree for me, I loved the fact that it had a little headlamp and smoke that would come out of the stack in little puffs.

Me, too. I later discovered it made a great little lighted, whistling bong. If I timed it just right, I could take a nice hit every time it came through the station. Kept me on the right track I'll betcha.

kb2vxa
11-13-2012, 09:33 PM
You would. (;->)

N7YA
11-13-2012, 10:43 PM
At that time, i know my mom would have. She was a true blue 60's hippie.

N2NH
11-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Wow never thought of that one. I'm sorry I didn't. :yes:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J8USxxLYm5g/TjHvgqOZdsI/AAAAAAAADwA/cwp6TfoSpng/s1600/New+Haven+Railroad+Alco+FA-1+Train+1958+View+Postcard.JPG

W3WN
11-14-2012, 08:42 AM
What, if anything, would you like to give under the tree?

What, if anything, would you like to see under the tree?

Maybe, just maybe, we'll get an HF rig w/ antenna...

If I have a tree this year, I'm going to try and stick a train under it...What tree?

... no, just kidding, I do put one up every year for the wife & family. That's what I get for marrying a shiksa... again (didn't learn the first time, did I?)

What I'd love to see: A Ten Tec Eagle or Omni VII, or a nice 500 W linear.
What I normally get: Socks, a trivia book, and chocolate candies I can no longer eat.
What I might get this year: Well, my old Sears circular saw just died on me on Sunday (literally in mid-cut, just stopped). Knowing the boss, I'll get a new one. Probably a piece of Ryobi junk.

(The saw is over 25 years old, close to 30. It came with a "lifetime warranty". Know what the young snot at Sears told me? I need a receipt for the purchase & a copy of the warranty... who keeps that stuff for 25+ years, through multiple moves, a divorce & a remarriage?)

N7YA
11-14-2012, 09:03 AM
If i could have a tree big enough, these are the things my wife and I would like to have.

Sell our house, get rid of most of our excess possessions.
An F-250 Crew Cab with a 29' Keystone Vantage trailer and hit the road for as long as we can.
A K-3 (mostly for me on that one).
All the tools my wife needs to start her natural soap business.
A new Canon with an assortment of quality lenses.
A condo income property with an increasing value to sell off at a later date for a higher premium to a speculator, while renting it out in the meantime to offset the costs until we can leave this shithole forever.
A modest homestead in Maine with a photo studio/office/shack for me and a lab/soap factory for my wife, about 10 acres for growing natural foods and my antenna farm, solar and wind equipped and paid off.
Enough return income to travel the world after we've gone coast to coast exploring our own beautiful country for a couple of years.

These are things we are trying to make a reality by playing the game smartly as much as we can, but if one or two of them ends up under our proverbial tree in time for this years holiday, im all for it! :)

kb2vxa
11-14-2012, 07:24 PM
"That's what I get for marrying a shiksa... again"

Put a menorah on it and tell her it's a Chanukah bush. She should know about the 8 presents.

kf0rt
11-14-2012, 10:30 PM
If i could have a tree big enough, these are the things my wife and I would like to have.

Sell our house, get rid of most of our excess possessions.
An F-250 Crew Cab with a 29' Keystone Vantage trailer and hit the road for as long as we can.
A K-3 (mostly for me on that one).
All the tools my wife needs to start her natural soap business.
A new Canon with an assortment of quality lenses.
A condo income property with an increasing value to sell off at a later date for a higher premium to a speculator, while renting it out in the meantime to offset the costs until we can leave this shithole forever.
A modest homestead in Maine with a photo studio/office/shack for me and a lab/soap factory for my wife, about 10 acres for growing natural foods and my antenna farm, solar and wind equipped and paid off.
Enough return income to travel the world after we've gone coast to coast exploring our own beautiful country for a couple of years.

These are things we are trying to make a reality by playing the game smartly as much as we can, but if one or two of them ends up under our proverbial tree in time for this years holiday, im all for it! :)

Hell, I'd settle for a simple day without hassles. Kind of a zen deal, i guess.

N7YA
11-14-2012, 10:48 PM
More Zen than most would know, yes. But since we were asked for a list, i just figured.....

Going down that list, the reality sets in.

Selling the house and dumping all our excess shit...done deal, that WILL happen. Were sick of it all.
The 250 and the Vantage....sure, eventually. Need to do a bunch of other things first.
K-3? Not going to happen soon....but ill clear a spot, just in case. :)
My wife is already getting her things together for her soap making gig. Im excited too because its all cheap and inexpensive. And for the first time in years, shes really excited about a project...and natural soaps really seem to sell well!
The new camera?....same with the K-3. Ill get it when i get it. Im getting decent shots with my Rebel for now, its all good.
The condo really should happen. Its dependent on a few things as well, but it would be a solid idea for extra income, especially since the Vegas RE market is starting to show signs of life again.
The homestead in Maine is only daydreaming right now, but eventually...
The travel plan is only a plan, but i never stop planning.

Not expecting anything from this list to happen this year, but ill keep writing to Santa. :)

N2NH
11-15-2012, 06:19 AM
What tree?...

Or Hannukah Bush...
;)