Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sears selling craftsman tool division.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Sears I suppose, has decided that it is against their policy to sell anything but the worst shit possible so just drop the one thing left that still stood for "some" thing. Quarterly profits over long term longevity. That is what caused the downward spiral into oblivion across the board.
    It's not Sears, it's Sears Holdings, the parent (ie holding) company, that made this (very bad) decision.

Sears Holdings used to be K-Mart Holdings, the parent company of K-Mart. When they bought Sears in 2005, they changed their name, but not their philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2KFC View Post
    You can't fix stupid.
    Ain't that the truth!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by KC2KFC View Post
    You can't fix stupid.
    Correct. But you can 'tune it up'.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    End of an era, and another sad chapter in the decline of the once-mighty Sears.

What I didn't know before I read the link -- I didn't realize that Stanley had absorbed Black & Decker. Explains a few things.
    Don't they also own DeWalt?

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    It's not Sears, it's Sears Holdings, the parent (ie holding) company, that made this (very bad) decision.

Sears Holdings used to be K-Mart Holdings, the parent company of K-Mart. When they bought Sears in 2005, they changed their name, but not their philosophy.

Ain't that the truth!

There is a good article on Business Insider about Sears being a dead company. Their CEO seems off his rocker, his plan was to turn Sears into a shopping club where you earned rewards and your habits, purchases and other sought after info would be sold to marketers. The guy never leaves his private island in Florida, flies off the handle and won't quit trying to turn a retailer for people who don't use the internet into an internet company.

Quote Originally Posted by AF7XM View Post
    Hell, 30 years ago it cost a fortune. I started on the tool trucks in '84 and then it was crazy expensive, but without a family to support I could justify the expense. If I had to start over again now it would be simply ridiculous. I don't know how these kids are doing it now.
    The mortgage to the house will be payed off before the snap-on man is.

Sad shit part about it is that if I needed to sell some stuff off to meet an emergency need, I wouldn't make ten cents on the dollar for it. It's a friggin scam.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Sadly, Craftsman tools have gotten so bad over the years that they could have sold out to Harbor Frieght and I don't think the quality would have suffered. It used to be that the Craftsman name meant something but......

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

Beach Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    Over the past several years , I bought a couple of their socket sets and combination wrench sets for my garage at home. The quality just isn't what it used to be.
    Not at all. Not even close to what it used to be. Craftsman quality is now at a point where generic Chinese tools were in the 80s. The generic Chinese junk is better than Craftsman. The cost of Craftsman tools has also gone up beyond reason. I've switched over to Lowe's Kobalt branded tools and have had very good luck.

I have bought some of the higher-end Harbor Freight combo wrenches and found them to be every bit as good as recent vintage Craftsman stuff.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by ka8ncr View Post
    Don't they also own DeWalt?
    Yes.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati