Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updates

Updates

The owner (a former Pro Baseball player) of the premier Citizen's Band station recently went SK and all of his equipment hit the market, RCI Ranger 29xx 10 -12 meter radio, a mint condition Swan DX 2000 Amplifier and, an expertly constructed 6 tuber 3-500Z amplifier with 3 brand new-in-the-box spare tubes and a assortment of Bird watt meters.

It was shown to have an output of 8 kw at the time of sale; price was $3,000 cash.

My close friend who, just received a large settlement purchased it.

He invited me over to see it and, informed me that it was a "Ham Radio Station" and the since I had "Ham License", I could operate it at any time.

He was not aware that the FCC licenses the STATION and not the operator and that my Amateur Radio license covers my fixed location or, me operating mobile on the Amateur Radio bands; I had to tell him that.

What I didn't tell him was, as pretty as his stuff was, I wasn't gonna touch it with a 10 foot insulated screwdriver; wouldn't be prudent.

Last edited by koØm; 04-02-2018 at 05:00 PM.

My license says both; station and operator.

But you are correct in being prudent.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

8kw?!?!?

I don't get it.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    8kw?!?!?

I don't get it.
    Of course you know Mike....... 8 killer watts of cloud warming special to conduct HAARP-like research by blasting out modulation of "Hello Mello Jello" "Duck Plucker" and "Pill'er up"
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    Of course you know Mike....... 8 killer watts of cloud warming special to conduct HAARP-like research by blasting out modulation of "Hello Mello Jello" "Duck Plucker" and "Pill'er up"
    Nope.. don't get that either. When I was on CB I had a license :) KKZ-9634
    --

8kw?!?!?

I don't get it.
    8,000 watts dead key RF power to communicate over top of others with less power to operators with power equal to or greater than yours 8,000 watts.

He's gonna use those six "big-legged girls" to generate 8Kw and drop the hammer on the heads of some Mud-Ducks on 27.025 Mhz.

Nope.. don't get that either. When I was on CB I had a license :) KKZ-9634
    When I was in CB, I had a license but that didn't stop me although, my neighbors in the Cul-de-sac would stop me cold by screaming out the window, that, "I was coming through the telephone" or, "I'm trying to watch the news!"

One day, my neighbor came across the street and asked me to stop transmitting; I invited him in and pointed out that my station was not powered on. He then replied, "Yeah, and that didn't sound like your voice either". It was another radio operator a block away who had turned his 8 element Yagi on our direction.

"Everybody" who was "somebody" ran power levels like that if you operated on a certain frequency. My radio neighbor a block away received a personal visit from James Bridgewater and, because of the complaints, the phone company disconnected his service and removed the lines from the pole to his house; this was late 1980's

I was "Somebody" then but, while other around me received letters and inspection visits, never happened to me.

Fast forward to today, I have a 11 meter receiver to notify me of propagation on 10 meters, that's all they are good for.

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    When I was in CB, I had a license but that didn't stop me although, my neighbors in the Cul-de-sac would stop me cold by screaming out the window, that, "I was coming through the telephone" or, "I'm trying to watch the news!"

One day, my neighbor came across the street and asked me to stop transmitting; I invited him in and pointed out that my station was not powered on. He then replied, "Yeah, and that didn't sound like your voice either". It was another radio operator a block away who had turned his 8 element Yagi on our direction.

"Everybody" who was "somebody" ran power levels like that if you operated on a certain frequency. My radio neighbor a block away received a personal visit from James Bridgewater and, because of the complaints, the phone company disconnected his service and removed the lines from the pole to his house; this was late 1980's

I was "Somebody" then but, while other around me received letters and inspection visits, never happened to me.

Fast forward to today, I have a 11 meter receiver to notify me of propagation on 10 meters, that's all they are good for.

Well back in the day I was nobody just like today :)

So I never ran more than 5 watts or 12 watts pep. I used to hear about enforcement around Chicago and guys losing their entire station. That made me nervous as heck.
    Even as a ham I only run 500w max. My guess was if I did the full kw I would become a pest to my neighbors.

8kw?

That just seems stupid on several levels of stupid.
    --

When CB was "da thing" I spent all my free time fixing the damned things, and had no time to play on the air with them. On those rare occasions I did get on the air, it was either 40 or 80 cw. I wish I had a nickle for every reverse polarity diode across the 12 volt line that I replaced, every audio output device(s), and every RF out transistor and usually the driver, too. Those were the money making days. I was reasonable price wise, and would not let any rig leave that did not meet specifications or FCC requirements. I did lose a certain amount of business because of this, but still, I had more work than I could handle with a decent turn around time. I was able to buy all the state of the art test equipment of the day that I used to fix consumer electronic devices, commercial two way radio, and all the stuff i needed to fix/maintain commercial broadcast equipment.

One piece of test equipment that was specifically built to service and maintain CB equipment was the B&K Dynascan 1040 and 2040. All you needed to do was add a scope and you could generate, receive, or analyze any signal needed to troubleshoot or verify FCC compliance. I still have a set or two of those out in one of my trains. I always figured that they could be expanded and modified to be useful when working on ham gear. I'm sue Dave remembers those units. As time went by, I was forced to buy some Marconi and Areoflex station monitors plus some specialized stuff when I did some civil aircraft electronics on the side for a place in Phoenix. I really miss working on all that stuff down to component level. It was a challenge to track down the part(s) that were faulty, and I got a lot of satisfaction when I finally fixed that "dog" that was on the bench trying my patience and knowledge of how actual components worked together and made everything work. There wasn't time to be a parts changer and then try to charge the customer for parts that didn't fix the problem, and that were just left inside. These days it's either replace a board or the entire equipment. People with no actual electronic knowledge are fixing or 86ing the equipment that was once fixable.

Those were the days my friend......
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 04-09-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL