Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio Mods.

Banned

Radio Mods.

Hello.

How about a place for all of the radio mods?
    A classic example is the VX-3R.
    This thing has 3 levels of mods.
    The first being the MARS/CAP mod, remove the jumper and reset or firmware settings.
    The second level is primarily firmware and is the "Freeband" mod.
    The third level "Owned", where the firmware now has a bit-bang interface and can transmit pretty much everywhere it can hear, and this comes in 2 flavors, the first being no physical mods, it is all done in firmware, and hardware hacker.

But, be this as it may, there is a lot of information out there.
    If you have never programmed an older Motorola radio with a RIB, and understand how easy it is to "brick" a radio, do not do level 3, you will be sorry!
    Everything must be just so, as once the transfer begins the radio no longer has valid code, it must compile from the new code or it is invalid.
    One of the reasons that a RIB has a battery backup, and an AC adaptor, and the bench supply, and the laptop power,,,,,,,,,.
    http://www.batlabs.com/2wayrib.html
    And, to answer the question, the VX-3R will do from 56 to 556MHz transmit with no gaps but the ones where the tuned circuits fall out, adjustable in softpots.

I can modify my little VX-2 either with the programming software or by soldering a couple of jumpers in the battery compartment. And, lest I forget:

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Why would we wish to condone "freeband" or other illegal operation?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Hello.

If operated under part 15 it is not illegal.
    If operated under part 97 it is not illegal.
    If operated under NTIA redbook it is not illegal.
    True, this is not a type accepted use, but operation can be done legally as this is no longer a commercial manufacture unit but a home built under the rules.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_47_CFR_Part_15
    And, the primary reason? it can be done. ;)
    The FCC could care less what I do with radio, I bother no one.
    For the most part, if you detect my transmissions I have done something wrong!
    If I am transmitting it is rare.
    In fact, I was in Dallas just a few hours ago and was informed that several repeaters were "closed".
    I was at the FEMA center and did the usual test transmissions, gave up on ham radio and went to federal frequencies.
    Now, this morning, the day after the last Friday of the month, the ham clubs are trying to save face.
    So, this morning I decided to revisit the idea of a dual use radio, Amateur and Federal.
    Note that I have lots of federal radios that can do Amateur Radio, just another option.

Bravo Sierra

This is why we can't have nice things.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    And why not BUY A REAL radio. Take your handheld RECIEVER and throw it in the trash.

Radio "mods" or butch it up's can be found anywhere on the net, mostly opening up radio's...

I personally only touch the innards for cleaning up, or if i found a good mod, or thought myself one out, improve the radio, mostly because the design can be improved for personal taste or newer electronic parts improve the behaviour of said radio, but then you need the allignment tools and knowledge too if you do that, and sadly i saw too much botched up radio's pass my repair station to know most "mods" are a certain way to degrade your radio, or make it on it's way to the repair shop.

On my FT 847 i put in a new referrence Xtal, an Xtal oven ( new Xtal needs to be suited for 40.8 degrees C ) and a re allignment to get back to specs.
    Schottky diodes replaced the band switch el cheapo diodes lowering the noise.
    Te audio chain had too much low roll off, so i redone that section.
    FM modulation too much low roll off, reworked that.
    The 2 fans for cooling were changed from full blast or 1/2 speed ( Send/recieve) to a temperature controled state with my own schematic thought out.
    Put in the Collins 2.5 KHz filters.

These changes are partly on their way to the new spare backup FT 847.
    The mobile FT 100 just had the extra AM Xfilter added, and the problems with grounding and fans done.

The Heathkit SB-1000 new tune 3-500ZG, complete overhaul, new C's new relais tx/rx and soft start installed.

Those were the only "mods" i did, no tx/rx expansion or other useless stuff.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Banned
    Hello.

Here in the US we have part 15, a section of the rules that allows very low power operation across a very broad part of the spectrum.
    And, real radio? this is for short range license free communications as well as a bit higher powered but still short range radio.
    The VX-3R is the most popular hacker radio by far, the firmware has been reworked to allow frequency hopping as well as several other functions not legit on an Amateur Radio.
    But, people are doing unusual mods, and in the interest of experimenting I like to see what is happening.

The -3R exceeds Part 15 levels even on its lowest-power setting and it is definitely not certificated for use in other services which require such gear.

How much does a bubble-pack pair of FRS/GMRS radios cost? MURS rigs? Besides Class D CB, those are the only "license-free" allocations available and the -3R isn't type-accepted for use on them. Put your modded Yaesu on any other frequency - at milliwatt power or not - and you're technically in violation of certain sections of 47 CFR.

Do it on a public safety/service frequency and bad things can happen (should happen) to the violator.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."