Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bread Pudding

Bread Pudding

Anyone else out there besides me love bread pudding ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I do. My Grandmother on mom's side was from south of New Orleans and she made the best bread pudding. Sometimes she would put fruit/raisins in.

I've found some good out there but never close to Grand Ma Jacquet!
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    I do. My Grandmother on mom's side was from south of New Orleans and she made the best bread pudding. Sometimes she would put fruit/raisins in.

I've found some good out there but never close to Grand Ma Jacquet!
    You probably never will. Just like my grandmas lasagna. In over 60 years I never had better, and finally quit looking. When I want lasagna, I make a double batch using her recipe. It is close to hers, but not quite right on. I always knew that crazy lady left some little something off the recipe she gave me. I only hope that some day I can get even.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I'm glad you asked. Ours has a little butter, dried fruit and a sprinkling of nutmeg or cinnamon. It tolerates a little jam or marmalade and it's perfect for invalids as well.
    We used to have this at school, principally to use up unused bread, cost-cutting obviously. Cook was a bit sly, often an unbitten slice with jam would turn up, OK but one day I found a slice with Marmite (yeast extract) on, yuck!

Bread pudding has always been a true love of mine.

After moving back to New England 2 years ago, I have come face to face with my childhood foods again. This was one of them. I also grew up on brown bread in a can (sailor food from the old rigger days) and B&M beans. The old plant is still in operation down in Portland going on 150 years. Now i want some bread pudding with a big pile of whipped cream on it!
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

I can remember the old B&M commercials. However, out here, they were called B&M Hydro. I guess it must have had water added. We used to eat a lot of cheap stuff. We were so poor the neighbor lady had to have me.

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    Bread pudding has always been a true love of mine.

After moving back to New England 2 years ago, I have come face to face with my childhood foods again. This was one of them. I also grew up on brown bread in a can (sailor food from the old rigger days) and B&M beans. The old plant is still in operation down in Portland going on 150 years. Now i want some bread pudding with a big pile of whipped cream on it!
    I was just there at that plant about 3 weeks ago. Such a small plant for such a huge brand! Technically, the plant is in S. Portland not far off the water. The docks are out back and it's peaceful watching the scenery waiting for them to load.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I can remember the old B&M commercials. However, out here, they were called B&M Hydro. I guess it must have had water added. We used to eat a lot of cheap stuff. We were so poor the neighbor lady had to have me.
    Devi and I always say Bowel and Movement...but their stuff is far from that, we are just being immature.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    Devi and I always say Bowel and Movement...but their stuff is far from that, we are just being immature.
    I don't know about youse guys, Adam, but for me, immature is a huge step forward.