Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Love Baseball, Example 42,876

Quote Originally Posted by koŘm View Post
    Over four decades ago when, I was doing field service for "The Copier Company", one helpful hint that I was given by my manager was, if things got tense, a good "Ice-breaker/Conversation starter" was, "Hows about 'Dem Reds"?

If, the conversation went negative about the Reds performance on the field, you went with it and, if the person had something positive to say about the Cincinnati Reds baseball team, then, you went along with that line of conversation.

So, "Hows about them Cincinnati Reds?"

ETA: If I were going to follow a baseball team, it would be the New York Yankees.
    Raise the Jolly Roger!

My second favorite team... except when the Pirate fanatics (ie the Boss and Little Miss Field Day) are in the room, of course.

My favorite team? The one I grew up rooting for in NNJ, and it sure as heck wasn’t the Muckiing Fets.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Tiki Bearer
    Latest game ended in 3 days. We were top of standings for around an hour until another game also finishing today ended, so back to 2nd.

At a meeting with club managment during the lunch interval yesterday. We were advised that a NFL type strength of schedule may be introduced for the Championship. As the previous three seasons may be 1st, 3rd and 2nd, we could be the No 1 seed.

Tiki Bearer
    No doubt you are all aware as the news has knocked what President Trump has said off the front pages. England are the new World Champions of Cricket. They beat New Zealand on a tie breaker in the final. There is a discussion whether a run should have counted in the England Innings or not. Once the Umpires and Scorers have confirmed the score it is too late to review. Tough.

Cricket? I thought this was a thread about Baseball!

Changing the subject, well, dare I say it... (“Dare! Dare!” — Gene Wilder) ... isn’t cricket!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

Look at it this way, if they can play soccer and call it football they can play cricket and call it baseball. Well, it IS played with a bat and ball, so much easier to score a hit when the bat is flat and wide like a paddle as opposed to a skinny round one. Biesbol been berry berry good to me. Oh, speaking from experience don't play soccer/football with women! When you're going for the ball they're going for your shins, so if you do, wear shin guards, preferably with spikes.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Tiki Bearer
    Having played the game, if you think batting and bowling in Cricket is easy you very much mistaken.

I have found with this thread when posters start talking about their Baseball team they have to stop and go into therapy.

The Championship has stopped for a few weeks and thanks to a win and a heavy defeat for another team. 1st and 2nd have now changed places.

The short T20 match league is starting. I do not attend as a large amount of crowd forget it is a sporting event and think it is a Beer drinking contest.

Quote Originally Posted by G1TWS View Post
    Having played the game, if you think batting and bowling in Cricket is easy you very much mistaken.

I have found with this thread when posters start talking about their Baseball team they have to stop and go into therapy.

The Championship has stopped for a few weeks and thanks to a win and a heavy defeat for another team. 1st and 2nd have now changed places.

The short T20 match league is starting. I do not attend as a large amount of crowd forget it is a sporting event and think it is a Beer drinking contest.
    Never said that batting & bowling in Cricket wasn't easy. Nope. No way, no sir. Not sticking that one on me. Never said anything even close to it. Just wondered why you were discussing Cricket in a thread about Baseball. The two sports are related, but they are not the same sport.

Regarding therapy... I am married to a Pittsburgh Pirates fanatic. My son interned for them. My daughter works for them (well, did until she took time out for her internship). So... Of COURSE I need therapy. What’s that got to do with the price of coffee beans in Jamaica?

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

"Never said that batting & bowling in Cricket wasn't easy. Nope. No way, no sir. Not sticking that one on me."
    Not to worry, my sideways remarks don't translate to English well. This NJ Yankee in King Arthur's Court is often misunderstood, must be the odd tongue in cheek accent. Quoting myself, "Well, it IS played with a bat and ball, so much easier to score a hit when the bat is flat and wide like a paddle as opposed to a skinny round one. Biesbol been berry berry good to me." the Garrett Morris quote was supposed to be the clue, I guess early Saturday Night Live (NBC TV) didn't make it across the pond without a really big antenna pointed at New York and an NTSC TV tuned to Channel 4.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Tiki Bearer
    Now that the T20 league games have concluded. A late run and a 5-4-5 record has meant that the playoffs were crept into. Played the playoff game last Wednesday. Due to the England Cricket Board thinking ahead, not like they used to do in the past. The team that was almost certain to make to get a home game in the playoffs had to play elsewhere as their ground is being used for a test match.

Won the playoff games, thanks to a bowler having a bit of a mare. A number of catches were dropped. A man sitting 20 rows back in the crowd kept on dropping the ball when it was hit to him.

The semi finals and finals are played at the same venue on the same day. When we have been there before we have been on first and one and done. One year when it happened, the club said that the Buses providing transport would not leave before the very end despite what happened. I asked if anyone walked out and went straight to the Railway Station.

Getting back to the subject of the thread. I watched one of the MLB games at the London stadium. As the London stadium is only 40 minutes by train from here. I might go to one of the games.

Tiki Bearer
    Back to the four day Championship games. Started the penultimate round in 2nd place and thanks to a big win for us and a loss for the team in 1st place, the standings are now reversed. Both games ended in 3 days and in our game Corporate entertaining was sold out all three days. There were complaints from other executive members as myself that the Corporate people were taking over the Executive Suite. I pointed out that being 2nd in the Championship standings and in the final rounds of the 20 over playoffs leads to a sell out.

Would they prefer the bad old days when local Business owners were chased down the street outside the Stadium with a crook to drag them in. Whether they wanted to come in or not.