Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: One Is The Loneliest Number... Twice.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AF5TY View Post
    Wouldn't signing "AF5TY/DE" indicate me being in Germany or other entity with DE prefix?
    Generally, the DX location turns into the prefix - so P4/KG4NEL from the topless beach on Aruba.

Actually, wait. I wouldn't be on the radio then.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Wouldn't signing "AF5TY/DE" indicate me being in Germany or other entity with DE prefix?
    Possibly. Would you prefer to make the account AF5TY/Delaware? AF5TY/3 could be any one of 3 states.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Strictly speaking, yes.

I'd suggest signing AF5TY/3 DE or DEL -- AF5TY/3 would indicate you're in the 3rd call area
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
    Generally, the DX location turns into the prefix - so P4/KG4NEL from the topless beach on Aruba.

Actually, wait. I wouldn't be on the radio then.
    That's been accepted Amateur practice since the mid 70's or so, though you still find people signing CallSign/DX prefix.

Of course, if that's the way the license issued by the DX entity specifies it, that's what you send.

With cluster spotting these days, I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

...and this is on CW. On Phone? Just say "AF5TY Portable Delaware".
    Last edited by W3WN; 12-05-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I'm guessing honestly you'd just do your callsign /3. If you using the "average" program to log, it will ask you to specify QTH and stuff. If you create another location entry in LOTW's program, it asks for that data too.

Obviously to garner support for people to talk to you, you'd probably frequently mention the QTH as well.

But the data in the logbook would tell the tale and qualify people to be awarded that state. Its stuff in the background that you don't really notice if you use one.

I know I went to a friend's station once and, having N1MM+ linked to my HF rig, I never have to worry about logging the frequency, since when I turn the knob, it updates the frequency. Thankfully he noticed when I was writing stuff down I omitted that, and I was able to record it before I spun away. You can get into bad habits like that with some things automated for sure....
    73 to all!
    Joshua, KD6NIG
    22 year NCT (Licenced 08 Sept 1992)
    Less than a year NCG (Upgraded July, 2014)
    22+ years licensed.

Insert witty and creative sigfile stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by kd6nig View Post
    I'm guessing honestly you'd just do your callsign /3. If you using the "average" program to log, it will ask you to specify QTH and stuff. If you create another location entry in LOTW's program, it asks for that data too.

Obviously to garner support for people to talk to you, you'd probably frequently mention the QTH as well.

But the data in the logbook would tell the tale and qualify people to be awarded that state. Its stuff in the background that you don't really notice if you use one.

I know I went to a friend's station once and, having N1MM+ linked to my HF rig, I never have to worry about logging the frequency, since when I turn the knob, it updates the frequency. Thankfully he noticed when I was writing stuff down I omitted that, and I was able to record it before I spun away. You can get into bad habits like that with some things automated for sure....
    I need to find out just how to do that. I have my FT5K working on HRD but not sure how to set up N1MM to find the rig frequency.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kd6nig View Post
    You can get into bad habits like that with some things automated for sure....
    My trouble is clicking on spots for stations in DX 'tests on 40 meters that are out of the US phone band :twisted:

It may be a function of where I am, but I don't think there's been a domestic contest where I haven't worked DE. They're always on for the NAQPs, SS, WPX, etc. I can think of oddballs, like Kentucky or Idaho, that don't make as much of a presence...
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by wa6mhz View Post
    I need to find out just how to do that. I have my FT5K working on HRD but not sure how to set up N1MM to find the rig frequency.
    I have a FT-857 with a CAT interface. Run it into a COM port on the computer (I use a USB-Serial converter) and setup N1MM+ to read the interface.

There are supposedly a lot more things you can do besides that with N1MM+ but I just did it for that. You can also type in 14250 and the rig will change frequency that way as well.

I also have a packet modem and supposedly you can open a telnet window but haven't dug that far. I know there are tons of rig functions N1MM supports, but since I don't operate or contest heavy I haven't looked into those.

But having the program put all of my info into the ADIF for uploading is very handy for sure. Also came in handy for contests like CQP-just make another log and its setup to log the specific stuff for that contest. Import it to the main log when you're done for uploading, delete that other log after saving the ADIF to submit to them. Was very handy though I didn't make a ton of contacts.

I know I'm barely scraping the capabilities of the program, but not having to worry about logging the frequency does save time when doing entries for sure....

But if your rig supports outputting such data to a COM port on your computer, you should be able to interface to it in the N1MM setup. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe there is a setup window for interfaces, that is where you would put it.
    73 to all!
    Joshua, KD6NIG
    22 year NCT (Licenced 08 Sept 1992)
    Less than a year NCG (Upgraded July, 2014)
    22+ years licensed.

Insert witty and creative sigfile stuff here.

yes it does the comport thing, thats how it talks to Ham Radio Deluxe. I was unaware of a rig control module in the N1MM. gotta check it out now! never could get HRD working right.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
    It may be a function of where I am, but I don't think there's been a domestic contest where I haven't worked DE. They're always on for the NAQPs, SS, WPX, etc. I can think of oddballs, like Kentucky or Idaho, that don't make as much of a presence...
    NC isn't much of a stretch from here. I could probably work NC on 40m SSB with my IC-703 at a "staggering" 10 watts.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.