Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FCC To Stop Mailing Licenses

Quote Originally Posted by wb5ydk View Post
    In today's world, the concept of a paper license is somewhat antiquated. A quick check of the ULS database, using a smart phone, could verify whether a person is licensed, or not. In most situations, there is no need for a piece of paper. Still, I guess were are all accustomed to have something physical to hold in our hands, or to frame on the wall.

I agree with Ron about computer literacy. Some folks just can't get their hands around the "new" computer technology, even though they might be top-notch operators with their old, trusty Hallicrafters and be capable of constructing an entire antenna farm from a garage full of aluminum tubing.

I think it should be entirely paperless. The ultimatum. If you can't spend five minutes to go to the FCC website and figure out how to renew then sorry, no license. A person who is so inept as to not be able to figure out how to use a simple web app shouldn't be operating a radio.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by wb5ydk View Post
    In today's world, the concept of a paper license is somewhat antiquated. A quick check of the ULS database, using a smart phone, could verify whether a person is licensed, or not. In most situations, there is no need for a piece of paper. Still, I guess were are all accustomed to have something physical to hold in our hands, or to frame on the wall.

I agree with Ron about computer literacy. Some folks just can't get their hands around the "new" computer technology, even though they might be top-notch operators with their old, trusty Hallicrafters and be capable of constructing an entire antenna farm from a garage full of aluminum tubing.

This is probably true, but try and tell that to the cop that wants to see your license and proof of insurance.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    This is probably true, but try and tell that to the cop that wants to see your license and proof of insurance.
    I got 99 problems but a Form 605 ain't one?
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    NYS accepts proof of insurance on a smart phone, as there's a "faxable" bar code, which is easy for pretty much anything to scan. License? Only a matter of time, I suppose.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Again, we are one gamma ray burst/EMP away from the stone age.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Either people have to learn how to use the ULS, or those $7 renewal places you get mail from a few months before you expire will have to up the fee to $10, and include sending you a paper copy when the renewal is done for you.

At 50 cents for postage (will probably be there soon) and a few cents per goldenrod sheet of paper, they can easily increase their profit margins by doing so.

I've offered to help a few ham friends of mine setup ULS. Some I've got it done for and renew them myself or help them, others pay the $7 to whatever VEC to have them do the mouse clicks for them.

To each their own.

As long as I can print a new copy whenever I make a change thats fine. They need to specify who they get the paper from and the order number so everyone can get that fancy paper they print it on.
    73 to all!
    Joshua, KD6NIG
    22 year NCT (Licenced 08 Sept 1992)
    Less than a year NCG (Upgraded July, 2014)
    22+ years licensed.

Insert witty and creative sigfile stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Again, we are one gamma ray burst/EMP away from the stone age.
    At that point licenses will be the least of anyone's worries. In fact there may not be anyone left to worry.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    At that point licenses will be the least of anyone's worries. In fact there may not be anyone left to worry.
    There'll be WinLink around, though.

And cockroaches.

Actually, I give the roaches a better chance, and they don't need regular nets to practice.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Mutant cockroaches... er... humanoid blattarians using WinLink.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.