Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FCC To Stop Mailing Licenses

Master Navigator
    How about "pick up only unless you arrange shipping"?

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Not everyone who has a license knows that they have a ULS account, knows how to access it, and quite a few don't have (valid) e-mail addresses. I know that sounds hard to believe in this day & age, especially amongst those of us who are more-or-less computer/internet savvy, but it's true.
    Then, that, I am afraid, is their problem.

For quite some time, your official word of licensing has been ULS. If you can't be arsed to find out all the things that go into being licensed, then maybe that person would need to re-consider the hobby. There are plenty of free email services so that's not an excuse either.

ULS is not all that difficult to use, if all you're doing is working with a single license.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    ULS is not all that difficult to use, if all you're doing is working with a single license.
    LOLtW.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
    LOLtW.
    Exactly. If the ARRL expects operators to be able to use LoTW, then ULS is a fucking breeze.

Then, that, I am afraid, is their problem.

For quite some time, your official word of licensing has been ULS. If you can't be arsed to find out all the things that go into being licensed, then maybe that person would need to re-consider the hobby. There are plenty of free email services so that's not an excuse either.

Corey, with all due respect, I'm afraid I disagree with you.

There are many older amateur radio operators, in the late 50's and up, who have difficulty with computers and the Internet to varying degrees. (Actually, you could strike "amateur radio operators" and replace it with "people" -- for example, my mother-in-law -- but I digress.)

Many of these folks do not file for renewals online. They file a Form 605 through one of the VEC's -- and yes, pay the VEC fee -- every 10 years. Some pay more through a "service" like W5YI. (I think the ARRL handles this for free for members as well, although it's been a while...)

These folks will want a paper ticket. It's old fashioned... but then, so are they.

That's why I believe adding a check box to Form 605, as an alternate, is a painless way to go.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Corey, with all due respect, I'm afraid I disagree with you.

There are many older amateur radio operators, in the late 50's and up, who have difficulty with computers and the Internet to varying degrees. (Actually, you could strike "amateur radio operators" and replace it with "people" -- for example, my mother-in-law -- but I digress.)

Many of these folks do not file for renewals online. They file a Form 605 through one of the VEC's -- and yes, pay the VEC fee -- every 10 years. Some pay more through a "service" like W5YI. (I think the ARRL handles this for free for members as well, although it's been a while...)

These folks will want a paper ticket. It's old fashioned... but then, so are they.

That's why I believe adding a check box to Form 605, as an alternate, is a painless way to go.
    If someone has troubles with computers, then perhaps a technical hobby such as amateur radio isn't the right hobby for them? Why not just pay a VEC $10 to go an get a copy sent to them via ULS?

Oh stop squabbling pedants, a tick box on Form 605 and the ULS page is the way to go and you all know it.

"This aint the zoo! Let her rip!"
    You know what I'm talking about so stop trying to get me in trouble for not keeping politics in the political forum. (;->)
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Oh stop squabbling pedants, a tick box on Form 605 and the ULS page is the way to go and you all know it.

"This aint the zoo! Let her rip!"
    You know what I'm talking about so stop trying to get me in trouble for not keeping politics in the political forum. (;->)
    Personally, I think the paper 605 should go as well... VE's use a computer to generate the tests, why not use it for form submission as well?

Master Navigator
    In today's world, the concept of a paper license is somewhat antiquated. A quick check of the ULS database, using a smart phone, could verify whether a person is licensed, or not. In most situations, there is no need for a piece of paper. Still, I guess were are all accustomed to have something physical to hold in our hands, or to frame on the wall.

I agree with Ron about computer literacy. Some folks just can't get their hands around the "new" computer technology, even though they might be top-notch operators with their old, trusty Hallicrafters and be capable of constructing an entire antenna farm from a garage full of aluminum tubing.

Personally, I think the paper 605 should go as well... VE's use a computer to generate the tests, why not use it for form submission as well?
    I agree. In this day and age everything is done via computers. If some people are too incompetent to use a computer for a simple form submission then they should take up another interest, such as basket weaving. There is no excuse these days for anyone to be lacking in basic computer skills. This is not the 1950's this is the 21st century. The machines are everywhere. Learn to use them.

I was an early adopter of the ULS system when it first came on line. I remember renewing my license on ULS with an old 166 mhz Pentium + dialup connection. This is now 2 decades later and all the bugs have been ironed out and its simpler to use. If you can figure out how to operate a radio you can figure out how to renew via ULS. There is no excuse anymore. It's time they graduate to ULS. As for me I want my license in electronic form. I don't want any more hard copies sent via old fashioned mail.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.