Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OK I am stupid, but......

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    How much BIRD do ya get outta all them pills ?
    bird watts totally better then dosy watts.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

I knew a country dancer that wanted one of those meters but, he just didn't have enough........................................ Dosy Dough.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Something has to power the roger beep and echo.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    You're not stupid, just naive.

You need something like that to run your 4-pill amp.

No excuses on Da Bowl.
    Actually, it was a rhetorical question. I was a bit taken back that they are so blatant in the website advertising. This brought back mempries of when Hollingsworth took over the FCC enforcement. Agents raided one of the 14.313/75M morans (sic), and noted he was working on an amplifier that was capable of about 5KW PEP. Totally legal, but.....

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

5KW is chump change.

The former holder of K3FT (IIRC) was an FCC engineer who participated in a raid against one of the 75M "horse racers", as the old 3895 crowd was known. What they found required a Drake L4B running 2KW PEP output for drive power. All of the equipment including the antenna and grounding system was built to broadcast engineering standards.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I actually thought the title of this thread would lead me to an autobiography of Eddie's life. But I guess I'm the stupid one.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    5KW is chump change.

The former holder of K3FT (IIRC) was an FCC engineer who participated in a raid against one of the 75M "horse racers", as the old 3895 crowd was known. What they found required a Drake L4B running 2KW PEP output for drive power. All of the equipment including the antenna and grounding system was built to broadcast engineering standards.
    I did contract engineering work for a few class C stations. One was a owned by a preacher. I told him about some must have items for required maintenance, and he replied that he would "pray about it". I told him to pray for a new engineer. He sent his son, the rev. junior to one of those one week seminar schools to pass the first phone. Gawd does indeed answer prayer. Even gawd (his pronunciation) can arbitrate standards. It was often a struggle to keep things barely within the specs. Some amateur stations are better designed/built, but maybe not legal...lol.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

50A will run anything you ever have. Unless its 2.5 KW.

I run off of batteries at home, but if everything keyed at the same time-packet 2m @10W, the HF rig at 100W, and the 2m/440 at a few watts as well as the scanner, backlight for the tuner....I'd be getting fairly close. Course, that will never happen, but having the capacity there doesn't hurt if you have all of that going on.

You can get that kind of power no problem out of 2 100ah batteries like I have as well, of course.

But for the "CB" crowd....thats nothing. The guy I knew in the Bay Area who had a small forklift battery in the camper shell of his pickup with a 100A charger feeding it...so he could power a 2.5KW comes to mind, though he usually never ran it "all the way up" usually. He didn't have to. But if he ever did, that thing drew unreal amperage.

His advantage was living on a boat and having his antenna way at the top of a mast on the boat. I had a little 5W Uniden in my car and was sitting in the lot at HRO with a friend of mine (I had just bought a new Alinco HT and I was programming it real quick to test it). I forgot what he was running, but he put a call out for me and my friend. Hes up near SF, we're in Sunnyvale. He heard us no problem....with 5W. Amazing ears. He was running a bit so we could hear him, but he heard us no problem.

There were some guys out there that were pretty technical. I actually learned a lot of radio theory from him. He was a ham op too though. I couldn't believe the size of that extra power he had though. It extended about 3/4 of the bed. He kept it on a pallet. Was just unreal.

Haven't talked to him in over a year. I should email him. :)
    73 to all!
    Joshua, KD6NIG
    22 year NCT (Licenced 08 Sept 1992)
    Less than a year NCG (Upgraded July, 2014)
    22+ years licensed.

Insert witty and creative sigfile stuff here.

I still do not think most cbers, and many a few extra class ham operators to be sure understand the logarithmic nature of the decibel signal scale. I would think the term. "deci" would offer a clue, but what do I know?

cul de n8tb

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    I would think the term. "deci" would offer a clue, but what do I know?
    "One-tenth," as in 0.1 Bel.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.