Thread: My little project....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    These guys work so hard, I get tired just watching. I do so much half assed thiings, and see others who give it a professional edge. I am glad to read these posts.
    It's been a long evolution. My first attempts at building a station were pretty marginal. Now that I've made some big mistakes.... the little ones are easier to detect before the project is complete.

If it looks professional... I've simply gotten good at hiding the bad stuff :)
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    It's been a long evolution. My first attempts at building a station were pretty marginal. Now that I've made some big mistakes.... the little ones are easier to detect before the project is complete.

If it looks professional... I've simply gotten good at hiding the bad stuff :)
    You're not claiming "fake it till you make it" are you?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    You're not claiming "fake it till you make it" are you?
    Absolutely.

Often I hear brand new hams asking longer term hams to "come and set up my station for me". I think that is a mistake. Build it yourself- screw it up Reeeeal goood.

Then get an experienced guy to show you every mistake you made. Backtrack through what you know and learn more.

There's such a difference between theory and practice. I knew theory. I learned practice.

My first field day I jumped in with both feet and did 2m weak signal, and 220 repeater access for talk in. I accomplished nothing. But... I learned so much that the second field day was a success.

Rules for technology success:

1. Build it.

2. Screw it up beyond belief.

3. Get someone who knows to show you everything you did wrong (includes being laughed at).

4. Learn!

I my case I have a short list of talented guys, one who is an EE, who bat be around the ears when I screw up.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...