Thread: How DX Engineering Just Saved Me ~$200

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How DX Engineering Just Saved Me ~$200

I have an oval DX Engineering "DX" sticker on the back bumper of my Subaru. Well, most of one, pretty much the "DX" portion only.

Well, my Outback was included in the recent recall & replacement of passenger-side airbags. I'd been pretty much ignoring it, because I'd have to leave the car in the shop for a day, and at first, the local dealers were not offering a loaner. Got a call last week from the dealership, reminding me of the recall, begging me to bring the car in... and yes, they were now providing a loaner.

Car went in Tuesday night. Service Manager, guy named Matt (who looked vaguely familiar), asked if I needed anything else done, I did mention that it was due for an oil change, and he offered $10 off since it would be there anyway. Be about $60 before tax (synthetic oil). Worth it; the local oil-change places charge $75 and up.

He calls late yesterday morning. Airbag and oil change done... but they also do a "multi-point" inspection, and it turns out my ball joints are bad, and there's concern that they could fail at any time. Repair cost? $550 parts and labor. Ouch. And payday isn't until Sunday.

And then he says... "Hey, is that a DX Engineering sticker on your rear bumper? Are you a ham?"

Turns out, he's KC3FCS. His dad, whom I've known for years, is KA3KSP; his uncle WO3X; and so on. So he says don't worry, he'll do the best he can for me on the cost.

Picked up the car last night. Net cost: Just under $395 for everything. And he apologized that he couldn't do any better!

Of course, I came prepared with a club newsletter, and we chatted for a bit. He often went to hamfests with his dad, which is why he seemed familiar. (Hey, never hurts to do a little positive promotion, right?)

So, no sticker... no savings.

Not that I'm going to go out and do something wild, like buy a new antenna or anything...

(oh, almost forgot to mention... turned out the dealership called because they were a little low on service calls and trying to catch up & keep their guys busy. That they got $600 per replacement from Subaru for the labor? Purely coincidental)
    Last edited by W3WN; 01-28-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati