So, one of my credit card bills is due today, and as usual, I went online to the bank's site and paid it.

Funny thing, though... I noticed a $35.13 charge from OnStar the beginning of this month. Unauthorized. So I went and looked, and discovered that this had been going on for months.

Well, that is partially my own fault. Usually, there are a few transactions between the OnStar charge and when I go to pay, on this card, so I hadn't caught it before.

So how did OnStar get my CC number? Back in September 2018, the Boss and I traded in my 2008 Chevy Trailblazer (which was going to require $$$$ to pass inspection) for a 2018 Chevy Equinox. At that time, we signed up for the "free for the first 90 days" service. I THOUGHT I had cancelled it before the 'trial period' was done...

...besides, last summer, my CC had expired. The bank issued me a new one a month before, standard procedure. Since I thought I had cancelled, I never gave the new expiration date or CSC (security) code to OnStar; why would I? So, why did the charges start up again? We'd even gotten emails that basically said "hey! your card information on file is out of date, please update it!" Again, the account was allegedly cancelled, so why would I?

Turned out that they hadn't actually cancelled it. Reason was that the OnStar account was in my wife's name (it was her car, and her name was first on the title); they claim that she never verified the cancellation. Right. (*cough**BS**BS**BS**BS**BS**cough*). Trust me, she did, but I digress.

You may have noted that I refer to the Equinox in the past tense. Some folks here on the Island know this, most don't... back last October 24th, the Boss was in a bad car accident. Her right leg was badly broken; not to worry, she has healed pretty well, and is almost back to walking normally again. The Equinox? Gave it's 'life' to save her. Engine compartment was demolished. I have pictures.

So, OnStar was charging us a monthly fee, for the last 9 months, for a vehicle that no longer exists.

I opened a dispute through the bank. They told me to contact OnStar while they investigate, it will take about 10 days, but I'll get a provisional credit. The agent couldn't guarantee it, but was pretty sure I'd win the dispute. Well, disputes, 9 of them, one for each month.

Then I called OnStar. Took forever to get a hold of someone, but I explained everything... then verified my identity.. four times. THEN they wanted to talk with my wife. THEN she had to talk with a supervisor.

50 minutes from start to finish. But, they agreed, finally, to credit me back to the date of the accident. $324 and change. Should have it in 3 - 5 days. Once it's processed, I'll call the bank back and cancel the disputes... once it's processed.

I know, I know. TL:DR. Bottom line is... check your statements. You never know what's lurking in there.