Been having a helluva time trying to install a 2m antenna on my Freightliner Cascadia. I know we got a few current/retired drivers here hopefully can help

What I have is basically a plastic truck. It's all composite materials or outright plastic. As it is a company truck, I cannot make holes or modify the truck in any way. There are no West Coast mirror frames so I am using a Wilson mount to attach to the plastic foldover mirror frame. This frame is all plastic and has no bonded connections in it anywhere to help make an antenna work right. there is nothing to bond to inside the frame and the rest of the door is composite material. This poses a problem.

What can I do to mount a 2m antenna? So far, I've tried Hustler SF2 5/8w antenna with no luck. Tried a Half Wave with no luck. Both failed due to needing grounding/bonding to the truck, which I can't do

I have been trying to look into "no groundplane 2m antennas" but can't find any info on whether they will work on a plastic truck. I know the theory but can't find any sort of explanation or construction history on how these work.

When the term Ground Plane is used, are they speaking of having a grounded bonded connection to the body/frame of the truck? or are they speaking of having an actual ground plane attached to the antenna? Will a "No groundplane" antenna actually need no groundplane or any sort of grounding/boding to the truck to work? If not, then what is the idea on how they work? To me, the term "No Groundplane Antenna" is an antenna that will work in free space without any sort of grounding, bonding or connection to any sort of metals.

As it looks like most of these type of antenna are 1 piece units, How do they balance out? Is the coax shield the other half of the antenna or is something else at work here? If so, does this mean I have to use a "tuned" piece of coax to provide the counter to the main antenna? Half wave at 146mhz is about 39 inches and thats a way short piece of coax to use in a mobile instance.

Help would be appreciated. My GoogleFU is weak today.

Thanks