Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW Question

CW Question

I hope this question doesn't start one of those code/no code slamfests. Anyway, I do not know code. I've tried some of the programs but I always lose interest. However, I do have an interest in working some CW. So, I have been thinking about getting one of those keyboard CW setups. It will translate what I type into CW and also decode what I receive. I realize this is cheating in a big way, but I don't see why it should be a big problem. As long as the program decodes like it should, I should be able to get by without actually knowing code. I think I would eventually learn code this way too. So, what do you guys think? Do any of you use a coding/decoding program? If so, has it worked well for you? The one I am looking at getting is $199 and offered by MFJ. Don't hurt me too bad, mmmmkay? LOL!

Echolink Node #401099

Re: CW Question

I would probably go with a sound card-based software solution. Then go find some slow, clean (properly spaced) CW on 40M and use your decoder to read it, all the while becoming familiar with the characters. Copy them on a piece of paper as you go and see how well your copy matches the decoder's.

Disclaimer: Unless you're dealing with a perfect "fist", there are going to be discrepancies.

W1AW's slow-speed practice bulletins are also another good way to practice and learn.

What kind of rig are you planning on using with the decoder? Filter(s) installed?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX
    I would probably go with a sound card-based software solution. Then go find some slow, clean (properly spaced) CW on 40M and use your decoder to read it, all the while becoming familiar with the characters. Copy them on a piece of paper as you go and see how well your copy matches the decoder's.

Disclaimer: Unless you're dealing with a perfect "fist", there are going to be discrepancies.

W1AW's slow-speed practice bulletins are also another good way to practice and learn.

What kind of rig are you planning on using with the decoder? Filter(s) installed?
    I haven't decided yet on the rig. I have been bidding on some on Ebay. So far I have lost two auctions this weekend, both of which were for the Kenwood TS-430. Right now I am bidding on an Icom 735. Capital One raised my credit limit, so I am going to go ahead and get a radio, antenna, tuner, and something to help me with CW before they figure out their mistake and change their minds!

Echolink Node #401099

Quote Originally Posted by KC9MUK
    I haven't decided yet on the rig. I have been bidding on some on Ebay. So far I have lost two auctions this weekend, both of which were for the Kenwood TS-430. Right now I am bidding on an Icom 735. Capital One raised my credit limit, so I am going to go ahead and get a radio, antenna, tuner, and something to help me with CW before they figure out their mistake and change their minds!
    Filter it up, especially if you're going to go with a hardware solution.

I have some older InfoTech, Drake and Yaesu hardware-based RTTY/CW readers in the shack. They've got some pretty good audio filtering built into them, but in the presence of a signal which is strong and slightly adjacent to the one you're trying to copy they'll often lose 'lock'.

SW-based solutions are a bit better in this regard. DSP can do wonders at tracking a weak, wavering signal.

If the radio you're looking at obtaining supports the installation of multiple CW filters, get hold of and install a 500hz-bandwidth unit first. It'll be a little easier to tune for "center" than a filter with narrower bandwidth.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Filter it up, especially if you're going to go with a hardware solution.

I have some older InfoTech, Drake and Yaesu hardware-based RTTY/CW readers in the shack. They've got some pretty good audio filtering built into them, but in the presence of a signal which is strong and slightly adjacent to the one you're trying to copy they'll often lose 'lock'.

SW-based solutions are a bit better in this regard. DSP can do wonders at tracking a weak, wavering signal.

If the radio you're looking at obtaining supports the installation of multiple CW filters, get hold of and install a 500hz-bandwidth unit first. It'll be a little easier to tune for "center" than a filter with narrower bandwidth.
    I've been wondering on these filters. Are they hard to get for these older rigs? I've noticed that most sellers will mention it if the radio has a CW or SSB filter installed.

Echolink Node #401099

I've been wondering on these filters. Are they hard to get for these older rigs? I've noticed that most sellers will mention it if the radio has a CW or SSB filter installed.
    Not at all:

http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=8

Depending on what you buy, you can also find them used on line at the various Classified site.

If a seller "doesn't know" whether or not accessory filters have been installed, I would probably walk away from said auction.

Not at all:

http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=8

Depending on what you buy, you can also find them used on line at the various Classified site.

If a seller "doesn't know" whether or not accessory filters have been installed, I would probably walk away from said auction.
    Well. a lot of times people are selling equipment that belonged to their father, uncle, brother, etc., who is now a SK, so they don't really know much about the radio. It's tough to figure out who is telling the truth and who is lying on those auctions. I have made sure to bid on items only from people with 98% or higher ratings. The auctions I stay away from are the ones that are held by hams who claim to not have powered the radio up or claim to have no way of hooking it up. Most of know at least one other ham that does HF work who can take a closer look at a radio.

Echolink Node #401099

Thanks for that INRAD link. I am going to go out on a limb and say that those filters don't look all that hard to install.

Echolink Node #401099

Well. a lot of times people are selling equipment that belonged to their father, uncle, brother, etc., who is now a SK, so they don't really know much about the radio. It's tough to figure out who is telling the truth and who is lying on those auctions. I have made sure to bid on items only from people with 98% or higher ratings. The auctions I stay away from are the ones that are held by hams who claim to not have powered the radio up or claim to have no way of hooking it up. Most of know at least one other ham that does HF work who can take a closer look at a radio.
    Caveat Emptor. Spend absolutely no more on something that you are willing to invest in addition to the potential cost of putting said gear back into proper repair.

Take a buddy who's knowledgeable with you to a hamfest and inspect the various offerings.

That said: If you're good with a soldering iron, have access to test gear and replacement parts, you can get some absolutely wonderful online deals on 'DOA' equipment which often times requires a simple fix to get it running again.

Thanks for that INRAD link. I am going to go out on a limb and say that those filters don't look all that hard to install.
    1) Remove top or bottom cover of rig;
    2) Remove shielding over IF/filter board (some rigs);
    3) Remove IF/filter board;
    4) Re-position or remove filter jumpers (some rigs);
    5) Affix filter to IF/filter board with supplied hardware;
    6) Solder filter pins to board with low-heat (25w) iron and 63/37 or 60/40 rosin-core solder;
    7) Reassemble to point of installing case;
    8 ) Check filter for correct operation;
    9) Install cover.

That procedure addresses 99% of the rigs currently in circulation.

Before you spend any money, check out the CWGet and CWType programs:

http://www.dxsoft.com/micwget.htm
    http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/cwtype/

The CWGet program works with your soundcard and all you need is a simple audio cable from your radio to your soundcard. To send, you will have to build/buy an interface to hook up between your computer and radio. I built the one that uses the LPT printer port, but unfortunately computers do not come with LPT or COM ports any more. I have an older PC running Windows98 in the shack for just this reason.

There may be USB interfaces, but I am not sure what would work with this program. There is a DXSoft group on Yahoo where you can probably find out the best way to hook it up to a "modern" computer.

Good Luck!
    Scott - NĜIU
    http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/iub.jpg
    President - National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support!"