Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use for GUI development in Ubuntu?

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

What do you use for GUI development in Ubuntu?

I'm looking for an IDE similar to C#.net on Windows. Specifically, I want it to:

1) Make placement and sizing of widgets easy and intuitive using a GUI designer.
    2) Automatically create callback stubs.

My main gripe about Java was that it didn't do those things. Placement an sizing of widgets was cumbersome, non-intuitive, and had to be done with code. (Puke!!!) But that was a while ago...maybe by now there are better IDE's.

I've tried the Mono C# IDE and it (puke again) was just like the Java IDE that I'd used and hated, so I guess my gripe was really with the IDE and not Java itself. ???

So....to save me the trouble of trying out multiple IDE's across multiple languages, does anyone know of one that does what I want it to do?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Orca Whisperer

Re: What do you use for GUI development in Ubuntu?

You might want to look into the QT library... I don't do much in the way of binary executable GUI design, I'm a web app kind of guy.

In fact, you might want to just start looking into shifting focus into the web app arena. Pretty much anything these days can include an embedded AMP server in case you need a local app.

Unless you're programming games. Whole new arena.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Orca Whisperer

BTW, here's a whole list of IDE's to try. Me, I only use vi or pico. Then again, like I said, I only do BASH scripting and Web app work.

Thanks for the suggestion & it seems right on to migrate to web app stuff. Been resisting that, but for no good reasons.

Yea, I saw a multitude of IDE's to try...and If I get lucky I could hit on one I like quickly...but if I'm unlucky.. groan!

And for just random stuff I'm totally command line with vi, but a lot of the other stuff I want to do are far less tedious with a WYSIWYG GUI designer. I know it's just not all that difficult to do it manually in code, but why if you don't have to? I'm all for RAD! There's also Ultra-Edit that's just now available for Linux.

You say pico? You sent me on a search. That name reminded me of TECO. Some computer folklore....

TECO had a version for CRT's call either VT or DT, it's been so long I forget which, and both were very powerful programs in their own right. Used it mostly on a PDP-10. (Sigh..I miss TOPS-10) That had a lot of features that I dearly miss on anything since, like easy macros for doing stuff automatically. In fact, there was a story about a guy who wrote a whole BASIC interpreter in editor code so you could run BASIC programs in the editor window. Yea, he had too much time on his hands!

I was hoping to find an emulator of that for linux, but so far, no such luck.

I generally use Qt.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Orca Whisperer

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH
    ... In fact, there was a story about a guy who wrote a whole BASIC interpreter in editor code so you could run BASIC programs in the editor window. Yea, he had too much time on his hands!

Sounds like Emacs :) I heard Emacs OS was coming out soon :rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH
    Thanks for the suggestion & it seems right on to migrate to web app stuff. Been resisting that, but for no good reasons.

Yea, I saw a multitude of IDE's to try...and If I get lucky I could hit on one I like quickly...but if I'm unlucky.. groan!

And for just random stuff I'm totally command line with vi, but a lot of the other stuff I want to do are far less tedious with a WYSIWYG GUI designer. I know it's just not all that difficult to do it manually in code, but why if you don't have to? I'm all for RAD! There's also Ultra-Edit that's just now available for Linux.

You say pico? You sent me on a search. That name reminded me of TECO. Some computer folklore....

TECO had a version for CRT's call either VT or DT, it's been so long I forget which, and both were very powerful programs in their own right. Used it mostly on a PDP-10. (Sigh..I miss TOPS-10) That had a lot of features that I dearly miss on anything since, like easy macros for doing stuff automatically. In fact, there was a story about a guy who wrote a whole BASIC interpreter in editor code so you could run BASIC programs in the editor window. Yea, he had too much time on his hands!

Probably your best result is to leave the antiquated and archaic langauges, like , C, C++, Perl, Lisp, etc. and the archaic editors, like vi, emacs, etc.. behind and graduate to web apps. These days just about anything you can do as a web app. Focus on things and web apps. It's faster, easier, lighter, state of the art and the way to go these days.

Orca Whisperer

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize
    Probably your best result is to leave the antiquated and archaic langauges, like , C, C++, Perl, Lisp, etc. and the archaic editors, like vi, emacs, etc.. behind and graduate to web apps. These days just about anything you can do as a web app. Focus on things and web apps. It's faster, easier, lighter, state of the art and the way to go these days.

Them are fighting words

Why would you consider Emacs and Vi to be archaic? I mean, they are very efficient when used for coding projects. Emacs even has a plugin to do code checkout, syntax highlighting, code suggesting, et al. Same with Vi(m)...

I use Vi to this day when on *nix. And, I prefer to do coding on *nix.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV

Them are fighting words

Why would you consider Emacs and Vi to be archaic? I mean, they are very efficient when used for coding projects. Emacs even has a plugin to do code checkout, syntax highlighting, code suggesting, et al. Same with Vi(m)...

I use Vi to this day when on *nix. And, I prefer to do coding on *nix.
    Because for most noobs emacs and vi are not intuitive enough. People want to dive right in and start coding. They don;t want to spend time reading and learning how to use the editor. For those (old school types) who have been into this stuff for a while and have the patience and know how, all the things I put on my "don't do list" are fine. Matter of fact they can even help make a person more productive. However, they are not always best for the noob.

My main editor these days is the pencil and paper. :) It will be a long time before they come up with anything as versatile.

I generally use Qt.
    Thanks, John....

I was about to go for that but wanted to wait to find out if it's what I'm looking for, as specified in this thread about, briefly, how much GUI code it'll write for you. Does it do that? This is a "risk reduction" effort on my part. As mentioned I'm trying to avoid the time-sink nature of "get a package...learn enough about it to try to use it...try to use it...learn more about the questions that attempt brought up...try it again"). That can sometimes feel like I'm caught in an infinite loop!

Thanks again.