Thread: Fluke 87 III

Fluke 87 III

Won't stop beeping. Changed battery, tested fuses.
    What gives?

Re: Fluke 87 III

I use those at work. It will beep if the lead is plugged into the Amps terminal side and the switch is set for V/Ohms measurements... i.e. plugged into the wrong jack. And the front jacks can do that if messed up.

Without any leads plugged in, does it do it? Set the switch to Amps, does it stop?

The circuit might be fried too, but I doubt it. The jacks are actually split, and testing the fuses is done by measuring on one half of the split jack. So if the Amps jack is shorted... as if something is plugged in and shorting the two halves, it will put up a fuss.

May Your Fluke be With You!

Input Terminals
    Water, dirt, or other contamination in the A or mA mA input terminals may activate the
    Input Alert beeper even though test leads are not inserted. Such contamination might be
    dislodged by turning the Meter over and, with all test leads removed, gently tapping on
    the case.

To clean the input terminals more effectively, do the following:
    1. Turn the Meter off and remove all test leads from the terminals.
    2. Use a clean swab in each of the four terminals to dislodge and clean out the
    contamination.

http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/8xiii___sieng0200.pdf
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Re: Fluke 87 III

Thank you, the basic cleaning didn't work so I will dig deeper now.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX
    I use those at work. It will beep if the lead is plugged into the Amps terminal side and the switch is set for V/Ohms measurements... i.e. plugged into the wrong jack. And the front jacks can do that if messed up.

Without any leads plugged in, does it do it? Set the switch to Amps, does it stop?

The circuit might be fried too, but I doubt it. The jacks are actually split, and testing the fuses is done by measuring on one half of the split jack. So if the Amps jack is shorted... as if something is plugged in and shorting the two halves, it will put up a fuss.

May Your Fluke be With You!

Input Terminals
    Water, dirt, or other contamination in the A or mA mA input terminals may activate the
    Input Alert beeper even though test leads are not inserted. Such contamination might be
    dislodged by turning the Meter over and, with all test leads removed, gently tapping on
    the case.

To clean the input terminals more effectively, do the following:
    1. Turn the Meter off and remove all test leads from the terminals.
    2. Use a clean swab in each of the four terminals to dislodge and clean out the
    contamination.

http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/8xiii___sieng0200.pdf