Thread: Flash Player in Ubuntu 9.10....do it successfully yet?

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Flash Player in Ubuntu 9.10....do it successfully yet?

I haven't. I wound up with a nasty Synaptic Package Manager corruption that took a while to fix. Link below...

If you've been able to get flash to work in firefox 3.5.5, could you please tell me how? Thanx...

Package Manager fix....

The symptom was that whenever I tried to run the Package Manager, I got an error that said something about "flash player needs to be installed, but there's no archive."

The fix is at this link...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305829&page=3

Scroll down to #23, and read the corrections in the posts following.

Comment: I believe there's a misplaced Save/Close in the procedure. I assumed that it should be beyond that big block of quoted text & that made it work. It was good to have the Package Manager back!

Good luck.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Re: Flash Player in Ubuntu 9.10....do it successfully yet?

I''ve never run into such a problem. I usually first try to install packages via the package manager, i.e. yum. If that fails (and it never has for Flash) I will usually download and install the package manually. If all the above fail I might resort to downloading the package as a tarball and compiling and installing it myself.

Usually one of those 3 approaches works.

Just for the record I am not on Ubuntu, I'm on Fedora.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH
    I haven't. I wound up with a nasty Synaptic Package Manager corruption that took a while to fix. Link below...

If you've been able to get flash to work in firefox 3.5.5, could you please tell me how? Thanx...
    I'm running 9.10, Paul, and this is how I did it in the package manager:

[attachment=0:1oi6taao]flashplugin.png[/attachment:1oi6taao]
    I chose only the installer (highlighted). That forced the download of the player from the Adobe site. Although the installation went without a hitch, the performance, speed-wise, is disappointing compared to the Flash Player in Firefox running in Windoze.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize
    I''ve never run into such a problem. I usually first try to install packages via the package manager, i.e. yum. If that fails (and it never has for Flash) I will usually download and install the package manually. If all the above fail I might resort to downloading the package as a tarball and compiling and installing it myself.

Usually one of those 3 approaches works.

Just for the record I am not on Ubuntu, I'm on Fedora.
    "Just for the record I am not on Ubuntu, I'm on Fedora."

I believe this is unique to Ubuntu 9.10...but thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg
    Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH

I'm running 9.10, Paul, and this is how I did it in the package manager:

[attachment=0:1s19t8yx]flashplugin.png[/attachment:1s19t8yx]
    I chose only the installer (highlighted). That forced the download of the player from the Adobe site. Although the installation went without a hitch, the performance, speed-wise, is disappointing compared to the Flash Player in Firefox running in Windoze.
    Thanks...I'll try that a little later. I'd been looking for that in the Manager, but was waiting to find out if it, too would result in that fix I outlined. Really don't want to do THAT again1