Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying Something Different-KUBUNTU

Trying Something Different-KUBUNTU

I have decided to try something different. I have a Pentium 3 computer I am not using for anything, so I am going to download KUBUNTU and give it a shot. Does anyone here use KUBUNTU? What kinds of programs will and won't it run? Thanks.

Echolink Node #401099

Re: Trying Something Different-KUBUNTU

Idon'tknowbut, I'd like to try some of that brand of OS if it would run everything I like.
    PS and FF would be on the top of the list. I think the Gimp should work with it straight out of the box without the WRE software.

I have absolutely no idea what PS, FF, or those other initials mean. LOL! I have a feeling I am in for an adventure with this KUBUNTU thingamajig.

Echolink Node #401099

Orca Whisperer

I'll go on the assumption that you've never used Linux before.

What wont work:
    1) Anything written for Windows
    2) Some wireless cards
    3) Some more "exotic" graphics cards
    4) "Exotic" external hardware

Now, number one is more or less true, unless you start playing Wine (www.winehq.com).

Number two, there are some wifi cards that will take some work to get working (Linksys ones come to mind).

Same with number 3 and 4.

But, the benefit you have going is that it's a PIII comp. Older hardware = Highly likely it will "Just work"

The "K" in Kubuntu means it's running KDE desktop, very similar to Windows.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV

What wont work:
    2) Some wireless cards

Now, number one is more or less true, unless you start playing Wine (http://www.winehq.com).

Number two, there are some wifi cards that will take some work to get working (Linksys ones come to mind).

But, the benefit you have going is that it's a PIII comp. Older hardware = Highly likely it will "Just work"

I take it this means Office '07 won't work. I have Open Office on a CD, so I guess that won't be a problem. What I am wondering about are websites, like the ones my college uses.

Echolink Node #401099

Orca Whisperer

Quote Originally Posted by KC9MUK
    Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV

What wont work:
    2) Some wireless cards

Now, number one is more or less true, unless you start playing Wine (http://www.winehq.com).

I take it this means Office '07 won't work. I have Open Office on a CD, so I guess that won't be a problem. What I am wondering about are websites, like the ones my college uses.
    OpenOffice comes installed by default I believe. You might be able to get Office '07 working with some effort using Wine.

Websites: The internet was built for *nix :) They should all work fine, you might notice the occasional quirks with poorly designed sites.

And Adobe Flash, you're stuck with an older version. Netflix wont work. And Shockwave Flash is a no-go AFAIK (Shockwave Flash think gamesloth.com)

EDIT
    Office 2007 has Platinum status:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4992
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Netflix won't work with KUBUNTU? BUMMER. I am a Netflix junkie. I have other computers that I can use to get my NETFLIX FIX. LOL!

Echolink Node #401099

My plans are to completely sacrifice Windows on this P3 computer. I don't use it for anything, and have other computers with Windows on them. One question I have is whether or not this CD I am making will work similar to the Windows installation CD in that it will prompt me to reformat the C drive. I am not planning on making a partition. It is going to be a "Kubuntu only" computer. The idea is to give it a try on a computer I can afford to lose before making the switch on any of my important computers.

Echolink Node #401099

Quote Originally Posted by KC9MUK
    My plans are to completely sacrifice Windows on this P3 computer. I don't use it for anything, and have other computers with Windows on them. One question I have is whether or not this CD I am making will work similar to the Windows installation CD in that it will prompt me to reformat the C drive. I am not planning on making a partition. It is going to be a "Kubuntu only" computer. The idea is to give it a try on a computer I can afford to lose before making the switch on any of my important computers.
    Yes, the machine boots on the CD, and one of the options you will be presented with is to use the entire hard drive. It will partition and format the entire drive for you.

Open Office 3.1 comes with Ubuntu or Kubuntu 9.04 or later. Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop, Kubuntu, the KDE desktop. I personally prefer the Gnome desktop.

There are a lot of new concepts to learn ... but there is great help available online. Get accustomed to using Google! The Ubuntu forums are also a great source of information.

And, you can count on someone here being able to help you through any problems!
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

OK. I got it downloaded, made the disk, and am using KUBUNTU as I type. I booted it from the CD, rather than installing it. So far so good. I am going to play around with this thing now and see what I can do with it.

Echolink Node #401099