Thread: another stupid question defrag this time

Banned

another stupid question defrag this time

Should I change to Auslogics defragmenter for windows 7 , and how do I put it or Windows defrag on the desktop for a shortcut?
    tnx

Re: another stupid question defrag this time

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty
    Should I change to Auslogics defragmenter for windows 7 , and how do I put it or Windows defrag on the desktop for a shortcut?
    tnx
    Auslogics has a brand new version of defrag out ... it's pretty impressive! I would suggest installing it.

I haven't toyed with Win 7 yet, but I would think you could still right-click any shortcut (even in the programs list), and select to send it to the desktop as a shortcut.

I will be doing 2 Windows 7 installations this week, Bill, and I will have a chance to figure it out at that time. I'll be sure to let you know of the old method no longer works.

I just stumbled on a solution offered by one of the MS dudes for doing this in Vista ... he is talking about sending a shortcut for the Paint program to the desktop:
    Click Start > All Programs > Accessories . Click Paint with the right mouse button, hold the button down, drag it to the desktop, drop it there, and click Create Shortcuts Here .Steve Winograd, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)
    Found here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...1-b7fa61351b95

That's actually for Vista, but 7 is probably the same.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Just checked it on Win 7 here, Luke & Bill-

The right-click / send to desktop trick still works fine.

Orca Whisperer

Um, last I checked, NTFS2 doesn't benefit from Defrag.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV
    Um, last I checked, NTFS2 doesn't benefit from Defrag.
    Huh, MS must have looked at the ext3 and ext4 file systems to figure that out. Neither of those benefit from defragmentation, either.

Free space fragmentation still occurs on any file system, although it's effect on disk access speeds is minimal.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

That's the second time today that I've read in a forum that defragging a disk will speed things up. It was also suggested that a defragged disk will do fewer seeks, and that'll extend disk life. Except, of course for all the seeks that happen during a defrag. I'm close to thinking that defragging just isn't worth the trouble.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH
    I'm close to thinking that defragging just isn't worth the trouble.
    this is the conclusion i came to with data at the office. took some time to demonstrate it to a cow-orker who was sold on the value of defragging. i think that if you have a small enough disk and a slow enough disk then defragging might matter, but contemporary media and connectivity make defragging difficult and pointless. (*you* try to defrag a 2TB volume holding a compressed file system ... pointless!)
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg
    Found here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...1-b7fa61351b95

That's actually for Vista, but 7 is probably the same.
    it worked, tnx Luke