Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting to like the idea of getting Mac

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

I'm starting to like the idea of getting Mac

And put away my animosity for Apple that came from the Mac/Amiga battles 20 years ago. R.I.P, Amiga. :(

The information I've recently gained about Macs lately make it sound very attractive.

I understand it's PowerPC architecture (Yea!), not Intel (Boo!). I've also heard that development tools, e.g. compiler(s), are free for the Mac. True or not?

And...last night I was looking to see if Ultra-Edit (outstanding text editor...use it all the time at work) had a linux version, and the website says it's coming soon. The website also lumped Mac and LInux together, as in Mac/Linux version. Does that imply that Macs run Linux underneath their gui? If so, that'd be a huge reason to consider spending the extra bucks for one.

Bye-Bye Wintel...may you rot....
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Re: I'm starting to like the idea of getting Mac

The Macs have been Intel for quite some time now. The only real difference between PC hardware and Apple hardware is the BIOS (or lack their of). Most all the hardware is interchangeable too -- hard drives, video cards, RAM, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh# ... _Intel_era

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL
    The Macs have been Intel for quite some time now. The only real difference between PC hardware and Apple hardware is the BIOS (or lack their of). Most all the hardware is interchangeable too -- hard drives, video cards, RAM, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh# ... _Intel_era
    Oh...thanks, guess my info was old. But, "Intel" is a world better that "Wintel!".
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH
    And put away my animosity for Apple that came from the Mac/Amiga battles 20 years ago. R.I.P, Amiga. :(

The information I've recently gained about Macs lately make it sound very attractive.

I understand it's PowerPC architecture (Yea!), not Intel (Boo!). I've also heard that development tools, e.g. compiler(s), are free for the Mac. True or not?

And...last night I was looking to see if Ultra-Edit (outstanding text editor...use it all the time at work) had a linux version, and the website says it's coming soon. The website also lumped Mac and LInux together, as in Mac/Linux version. Does that imply that Macs run Linux underneath their gui? If so, that'd be a huge reason to consider spending the extra bucks for one.

Bye-Bye Wintel...may you rot....
    I see it predominantly a matter of software. Yes there are lots of free compilers and interpreters for Intel based systems. If you run Linux on Intel there is GNU C/C++, there is Fortran, Assembly, Java, Perl, Python, Lisp, countless GUI APi's, etc. On the Windows side there are also loads of free compilers/interpreters, matter of fact most of those I've mentioned above have a Windows version.

My favorite set is Lisp, Assembly, and C and sometimes Perl, Plus I use the Qt toolkit for most GUI building. I particularly like Lisp as it is the ideal tool for attacking the types of problems I occaisionally encounter in my fi. Further, many things that require 10 lines in C or Java only require 1 short line in Lisp.

From what I hear the Mac is a good system but I have yet to see any reason why I would need to migrate there. For the kind of things I do a Mac would probably serve me no better than what I am using now.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Macs these days: PC's built by Apple. :stirpot:

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt
    That about sums it up these days.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize
    Bingo. They even get viruses. The newest OS ("snow leopard") ended up losing a lot of data - none of it recoverable. Whoops!

Lost Apples LINK 1

Lost Apples LINK 2

I'll say this. My friend has a Mac and when he came over and saw how my OLD computer was working (it had hyper-threading), he was very impressed. I hate to see what he'd think of the new one which is a Quad-Core and has an upgraded cable line. Needless to say, he's going PC this time. It's cheaper and a lot easier to upgrade. One thing he wants and can't afford - a download manager. Mine cost $25. He claims he'd have to pay over 10x times that for the Mac. :naughty
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH
    Bingo. They even get viruses. The newest OS ("snow leopard") ended up losing a lot of data - none of it recoverable. Whoops!

Lost Apples LINK 1

Lost Apples LINK 2

I'll say this. My friend has a Mac and when he came over and saw how my OLD computer was working (it had hyper-threading), he was very impressed. I hate to see what he'd think of the new one which is a Quad-Core and has an upgraded cable line. Needless to say, he's going PC this time. It's cheaper and a lot easier to upgrade. One thing he wants and can't afford - a download manager. Mine cost $25. He claims he'd have to pay over 10x times that for the Mac. :naughty
    Mine still has hyperthreading. it does the job for me.

Hah ? What is he still on dialup ? What does he need a download manager for ? These days with today's inexpensive high speed broadband connections a download manager isn't really necessary. besides, a "download manager" sounds suspiciously like what we used to call an ftp program with scheduling. There are plenty of "download managers" for free. Some can even be installed as browser extensions absolutely free. paying any kind of money for a download manager these days sounds like highway robbery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH

Lost Apples LINK 1

Lost Apples LINK 2

Mine still has hyperthreading. it does the job for me.

Hah ? What is he still on dialup ? What does he need a download manager for ? These days with today's inexpensive high speed broadband connections a download manager isn't really necessary. besides, a "download manager" sounds suspiciously like what we used to call an ftp program with scheduling. There are plenty of "download managers" for free. Some can even be installed as browser extensions absolutely free. paying any kind of money for a download manager these days sounds like highway robbery to me.
    Some downloads force this on you these days. I've seen it with Microsoft and Adobe. You first get the manager, then the manager handles the download. No other way to get the download.

There are plenty of "download managers" for free. Some can even be installed as browser extensions absolutely free. paying any kind of money for a download manager these days sounds like highway robbery to me.
    Depends on what you want. There are certain features that you can't get with free download managers. The XYL tried one of those before throwing her hands up and using the one I use (I had the foresight to get 2 licenses for $5 more). The freebie was dropping downloads midstream. She hasn't had any problems since. She also says that the dl times are much faster.

You might want to check the FF site. There are a number of programs, including free download managers, that they're advising against using. Some are causing FF to freeze.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick