Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox keeps telling me I have a virus

Banned

Firefox keeps telling me I have a virus

But IE works fine. I ran Spybot and Avast and am supposedly clean. What gives?

Re: Firefox keeps telling me I have a virus

Uhh, does it happen when you open Firefox and you are not on the network?

Unplug it (modem, network, whatever) and restart Firefox. What happens then?

Screenshot of the error would help a lot, as the Alphabet Soup might mean something.

Oh, and is this on SSB or CW? ;)
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Banned

how do I do a screenshot?

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty
    how do I do a screenshot?
    Get FireShot. It's an add-on for FireFox. LINK

It's free and no other program - no notepad, no paint, nothing else is needed.
    Save or edit in Fireshot then save where you like and it's already a JPEG (.jpg).
    Click on the "S" in the toolbar and then save. Period. Link above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty
    But IE works fine. I ran Spybot and Avast and am supposedly clean. What gives?
    Bill, if you haven't already, download and run Malwarebytes. It routinely finds stuff that other programs don't:

Download Malwarebytes Free Version
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

malewarebytes is a great program. i use it along with spybot and avg and the combination works well.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Simple method for screen shots... does not require any other add-on program.

There are several ways -

1. Open (Microsoft) wordpad or paint.

2. Hit [Print Screen] keyboard button.

3. Click into Wordpad or Paint, hold down the [Ctrl] key and tap [C] key, right click on mouse and select "Paste"

4. In Wordpad, save as .rtf file, and from paint, save as .jpg file

If you use paint, and save as .jpg file, you can easily attach here for viewing and troubleshooting

Banned

I'll download malwarebytes.
    When I open Firefox it trys to load then the page immediately goes to thealertlite.com which looks like it has the windows castle icon and it tells me I have an assortment of viruses in 3 different areas on my pc. There are buttons to remove the viruses on that page buy they don't work.
    I'm going to run IE for a while then maybe remove Firefox then reload it.

There were 2 viruses Avast found and I sent them into the virus vault. Everything checks fine now but I will run the malwarebytes.

It sounds like you are reaching or being redirected to a bogus site that is fooling you and trying to tell you that you have a computer virus. Those sham sites try to simulate real time scanning and function execution to fool the user into thinking its the real thing and thus coercing them into installing some virus, spyware, malware, or trojan.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize
    It sounds like you are reaching or being redirected to a bogus site that is fooling you and trying to tell you that you have a computer virus. Those sham sites try to simulate real time scanning and function execution to fool the user into thinking its the real thing and thus coercing them into installing some virus, spyware, malware, or trojan.
    ZDNet was warning that this was going to be a problem this Halloween.

Seems that an advertiser put one of these on the Fox site both in March and May,
    Then the NY Times site last month...
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick