Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avast! Ye Scurvy Dogs

Avast! Ye Scurvy Dogs

So... I finally got off my butt yesterday afternoon, and started getting the "new" shack computer ready.

...my workplace replaced all of our Compaq XP machines last February with new Dell Vista machines. The old machines were wiped clean, had the OS reinstalled from the OEM factory CD's, and made available to employees for $50 each. Don't ask, those that didn't sell got donated to two charitable organizations. Anyway, I got 3 -- one for the XYL, one to replace my "working" computer, and one to update the Shack computer, a rebuilt Dell 500 MHz P2 machine. The new machines are all 1.8 MHz and have 512 MB of RAM, so they run much faster than the ones they're replacing...

After some trial & error on the hard drive upgrade (I replaced the 20 GB drive with an 80, the trick was in splitting it into two partitions... Compaq's setup program, on converting from FAT32 to NTFS, automatically took the whole drive. But I finally got it split as desired), I went ahead with the usual updates and installs.

I've taken quite a liking to Avast! Home Edition lately, and let's face it, the price is right. I have it on the XYL's machine at the moment, as well as my daughter's and my laptop.

But when I went to install it on this box... it wouldn't. Error message indicated that it couldn't find the server, and a directory was not found.

Anyone run into this, or anything like it, before?

(I tried from both an installation file I already had, and directly from the download site, thinking maybe something had changed since I'd last downloaded the file)

For the time being, I dug up my old NAV Corporate Edition, and that installed just fine. I'd just been hoping to phase NAV out.

I'm going to give it another try in the next evening or three, I'm hoping that there was just some minor incompatibility that an update will cure. I was a bit impatient on all the uploads.

If it weren't for the intended use of the machine, I'd probably leave NAV on. But this box is intended to not only be the shack computer (general & contest logging), but also the eventual remote host for my TS-480S for use as a remote base. So if it is going to be on & on-line most of the time... well, why look for trouble?

“Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Re: Avast! Ye Scurvy Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN
    For the time being, I dug up my old NAV Corporate Edition, and that installed just fine. I'd just been hoping to phase NAV out.
    While not a direct answer to your problem, I would have installed AVG before I'd install that POS from Norton.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Orca Whisperer

I'd hazard the NIC on the PC isn't working.

But, if it is, give AVG a whirl. Again, the price is right (Free), and works well :)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N
    While not a direct answer to your problem, I would have installed AVG before I'd install that POS from Norton.
    Thanks, but... No.

I've seen AVG in action. Suffice to say, it's not something I care for.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV
    I'd hazard the NIC on the PC isn't working.

But, if it is, give AVG a whirl. Again, the price is right (Free), and works well :)
    If the NIC wasn't working, the system wouldn't have seen my network, or connected through the gateway out into never never land. Nor would I have been able to download the latest flavor. No, that's not it.

NAV is just a stop gap until I figure out what went wrong with Avast. I'd prefer to get Avast on the machine, as the goal is to make all of the home machines on the same AV package to ease maintenance. To go to AVG, which I don't care for, means updating 6 other machines... and it still doesn't answer the question as to what went wrong.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

well at least with my linux i dont have to use crap like avg and avast
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

So... I finally got off my butt yesterday afternoon, and started getting the "new" shack computer ready.

...my workplace replaced all of our Compaq XP machines last February with new Dell Vista machines. The old machines were wiped clean, had the OS reinstalled from the OEM factory CD's, and made available to employees for $50 each. Don't ask, those that didn't sell got donated to two charitable organizations. Anyway, I got 3 -- one for the XYL, one to replace my "working" computer, and one to update the Shack computer, a rebuilt Dell 500 MHz P2 machine. The new machines are all 1.8 MHz and have 512 MB of RAM, so they run much faster than the ones they're replacing...

After some trial & error on the hard drive upgrade (I replaced the 20 GB drive with an 80, the trick was in splitting it into two partitions... Compaq's setup program, on converting from FAT32 to NTFS, automatically took the whole drive. But I finally got it split as desired), I went ahead with the usual updates and installs.

I've taken quite a liking to Avast! Home Edition lately, and let's face it, the price is right. I have it on the XYL's machine at the moment, as well as my daughter's and my laptop.

But when I went to install it on this box... it wouldn't. Error message indicated that it couldn't find the server, and a directory was not found.

(I tried from both an installation file I already had, and directly from the download site, thinking maybe something had changed since I'd last downloaded the file)

I'm going to give it another try in the next evening or three, I'm hoping that there was just some minor incompatibility that an update will cure. I was a bit impatient on all the uploads.

If it weren't for the intended use of the machine, I'd probably leave NAV on. But this box is intended to not only be the shack computer (general & contest logging), but also the eventual remote host for my TS-480S for use as a remote base. So if it is going to be on & on-line most of the time... well, why look for trouble?

Avast is excellent anti-virus, and I use it on all my Windows installations.

Try downloading the full setup file, Ron ... 34 MB, no need to let the exe initiate an internet connection:

http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe

If that link doesn't work, go to:

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

scroll down the page a bit, and download the English version of the full setup file.

Hope that works!
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg

Avast is excellent anti-virus, and I use it on all my Windows installations.

Try downloading the full setup file, Ron ... 34 MB, no need to let the exe initiate an internet connection:

http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe

If that link doesn't work, go to:

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

scroll down the page a bit, and download the English version of the full setup file.

Hope that works!
    Thanks Luke, I'll try that link when I get home tonight.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N
    Thanks, but... No.

I've seen [strike:15rio71j]AVG[/strike:15rio71j] NAV in action. Suffice to say, it's not something I care for.
    Fixed that for you. ;) :rofl:

When she retired from Verizon, I replace NAV on her home machine with AVG. Time from power on to usability went from 20+ minutes to about 5.

YMMV
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC
    well at least with my linux i dont have to use crap like avg and avast
    Enjoy it while you can.

Sooner or later, the malicious maverick mavens of mischief & malware (and the crooks too) will decide that the various Linux distributions installed have reached critical mass & will be worth their time to try and exploit.

Remember: The first "in the wild" computer virus attaced the Apple -- Apple DOS 3.3 at the time -- in 1981. It was another 5 years or so before that breed of malware spread to the PC ranks. Today there are few Apple/Mac viruses, but if/when the day comes that the Mac again attains critical mass... and sooner or later it will...

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!