Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hams on Facebook

Island Regular

Hams on Facebook

Any hams here that are on Facebook?

Re: Hams on Facebook

Gulp. Yes. Recently. It's an interesting place, isn't it?

I have found some very dear old friends that I thought I would never talk to again.

Emails fly beneath the surface. Freaking amazing.

Wasting time in Farmville, growing Pineapples with a purple Mohawk.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Banned

I am but I'm keeping that a secret.

Island Regular

Im not ashamed to admit im on there. Even if i am a ham i enjoy talking to old friends both on Facebook and Myspace. .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by K9FON
    Im not ashamed to admit im on there. Even if i am a ham i enjoy talking to old friends both on Facebook and Myspace. .
    I'm not ashamed to be on it either. It's just that up until now I've kept Facebook and ham radio separate.

i had this stupid idea that i would use facebook like i use linkedin--as a means to make and maintain professional contacts. well, that totally lasted for about a week. i don't really use most of the "applications," though ...

at the moment, i have more than 500 "friends," but i actually know (for "know" = "having met face to face at least once") a fair number of these people ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Lynne (XYL) put up a Facebook page last year and we had lost friends falling out of the sky on us. People we haven't seen or heard from in 25 yrs. or more... some that we'd been really wondering about, and some...well, they obviously think they share a background with us.
    I decided not to put a page up. I'll just use Lynne's as a filter instead.
    Too much information.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Yes, it's a slippery slope. I have not been there very long, and keep a "low profile".

Some of the reconnection is difficult, because the stories from people you cared about long ago can be heart wrenching and scary. Finding humor and compassion in spite of it all is astounding and humbling.

The power of social networking on such a large scale is pretty amazing and I'm an insufferable optimist...

Time Travel is very weird. It's all good (very). But, like wow, is all I got to say.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX
    Some of the reconnection is difficult, because the stories from people you cared about long ago can be heart wrenching and scary. Finding humor and compassion in spite of it all is astounding and humbling.
    I'll say.
    Finding out just how many of us aren't with the living anymore was a real shocker.

But, by far the biggest twilight zone moment I've had in years was calling a very close friend after he sent me his cell number through the Lynne/Facebook experiment;

We shared houses together, partied relentlessly, and played in RNR/Heavy metal bands together for years...YEARS. The last time I saw him was when we stopped by his new house in Tupelo, MS in 1997. Then he fell off the face of the earth.

I call him up at his request and ask what he was doing now. Baptist preacher was the answer, oh, and singing in gospel groups.
    He made it clear we had little in common, the past did not exist to him at all and I found it a most uncomfortable conversation. I'm glad he came out the other side alive, but man...I could have used some prior warning. :rofl:

It was really freaky. No more Facebook for me thanks.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

i am also on facebook and myspace although i have not checked my myspace account in over a month. it is interesting how many people come out of the woodwork on there..

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.