Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Yaesu Ft-101 E and F restore

Banned

Re: Yaesu Ft-101 E and F restore

Quote Originally Posted by kc4umo
    Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC

is there any posts made on that account?
    I did a search and not one at all.
    Also in the user profile it does not show an email address. So I but mine in it so if there was one the password can not be retieved. I looked to see if there was a registered date on it. Did not see it.
    You know this is just plain weird right?

Quote Originally Posted by AF6LJ

You know this is just plain weird right?
    Very weird yes. I am just going to keep an eye on it see if it changes. If it does then I file a complaint.

Back to the 101, tonight I am going to take voltage measurments in the final are and check components. The past two nights I was not able to do anything worth while. I did put a switch box and connected one of the 101's, the 520, and te 745. This way I can switch between them quickly. The 101 seems to be right up there with the 520. Both of those are a bit better than the 745. So maybe the RX does not need much tuning.

I went through each band again last night and all bands will load up about 2 watts. Which means the rig is pretty much evened out on the driver tune.

Oh,
    As I am sitting here thinking to myself (at work), I know the 101 will not transmit when the acc plug is removed. I remember looking to see if it was there and noticed that there was a RCA jack hanging off the back of it.

Hmmmm. Just wonder.

Well,
    Interesting. I came home and swapped the acc plug. On 40 meters I am getting 160 watts out. On 80 I am getting 100. Anything above is 20 watts and below.

The S-meter works on RX. But does not show anything in PO, IC, or ALC. So I have no idea at the moment where the bias is set at.

I am going to check components and tubes now and see where we are at.

At least we know the transmiter does work.

Banned

Well,
    Interesting. I came home and swapped the acc plug. On 40 meters I am getting 160 watts out. On 80 I am getting 100. Anything above is 20 watts and below.

The S-meter works on RX. But does not show anything in PO, IC, or ALC. So I have no idea at the moment where the bias is set at.

I am going to check components and tubes now and see where we are at.

At least we know the transmiter does work.
    Cool :)

No progress this week end.
    Worked at the plant all day Friday and had a shop full of work Saturday.

Going to look at the meter circuit today and see if I can find a problem there.
    A friend of mine called yesterday and told me he just picked up a plain 101. So going to be looking at that one also.

I decided to play arounf with the E today. Pulled all the boards cleand contacts and check for bad looking components ect. Mostly just to give a good cleaning.

I noticed the the crystal in the 11 meter slot had Jan on the top of it.
    The original 11 meter crystal is 33.020. The one in the rig is a 30.520.
    I have not done the math yet but this should put the rig in the 24mhz range (12 meters) ?
    I am sure that is what it is with out doing the math.

I decided to play arounf with the E today. Pulled all the boards cleand contacts and check for bad looking components ect. Mostly just to give a good cleaning.

I noticed the the crystal in the 11 meter slot had Jan on the top of it.
    The original 11 meter crystal is 33.020. The one in the rig is a 30.520.
    I have not done the math yet but this should put the rig in the 24mhz range (12 meters) ?
    I am sure that is what it is with out doing the math.
    You are correct. I also have 30 and 17M FT101 WARC rocks floating around here somewheres if you want 'em...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I think I am going to put the 12 meter crystal in the F. Get the original 11 meter crystal for the E. I llike to get those from ya also.

Well,
    Here is a bit of good news.
    The E now transmits and receives. I thought this one was toast to start with.
    All it took was a couple of solder connections. A coplete removal of all the plug in boards. Some contact cleaner and a brass brush.

Now the RX is down from where it should be. About 300 mv. But hey, it is working. Sort of cold today so brought it in the house and tore it down on the kitchen table. I went back to the shop and grabed my IFR 1200 and just checked it out.

When I started it had no RX or TX. The VFO indicator did not light. And the RF capacitor was disconnected from the choke. The TX looks good and can get it at 60ma on SSb and about 120ma on AM.

So both 101's work with a few bugs to work out.
    This is a good day.