Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check network traffic to/from your computer

Check network traffic to/from your computer

Checkout Wireshark! And it's free. Available for Windows, LINUX, OS X

http://www.wireshark.org/

About Wireshark

Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer, and is the de facto (and often de jure) standard across many industries and educational institutions.

Wireshark development thrives thanks to the contributions of networking experts across the globe. It is the continuation of a project that started in 1998.

Features

Wireshark has a rich feature set which includes the following:

* Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
    * Live capture and offline analysis
    * Standard three-pane packet browser
    * Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
    * Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
    * The most powerful display filters in the industry
    * Rich VoIP analysis
    * Read/write many different capture file formats: tcpdump (libpcap), Pcap NG, Catapult DCT2000, Cisco Secure IDS iplog, Microsoft Network Monitor, Network General Sniffer® (compressed and uncompressed), Sniffer® Pro, and NetXray®, Network Instruments Observer, NetScreen snoop, Novell LANalyzer, RADCOM WAN/LAN Analyzer, Shomiti/Finisar Surveyor, Tektronix K12xx, Visual Networks Visual UpTime, WildPackets EtherPeek/TokenPeek/AiroPeek, and many others
    * Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
    * Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platform)
    * Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
    * Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
    * Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text

Re: Check network traffic to/from your computer

+1

Wireshark is fun near open wireless access points too -- or so I've heard. I (in theory) would use airodump-ng to capture the data and analyse it with Wireshark. It's amazing how many people check their e-mail not using encryption over unencrypted WiFi, so I've heard.

Even better, there is a portable app for Wireshark

Very cool. I want to explore it.

Yeah, it's fun to fire up sometimes and watch the traffic bouncing around on my local network, watching stuff being sent out of the local net into the world and watch stuff coming back in. There's a whole lot of stuff going on there. The network is rarely quiet for very long.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

i have it on the BackTrack CD....

and thats all im gonna say about that
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF
    Checkout Wireshark! And it's free. Available for Windows, LINUX, OS X

http://www.wireshark.org/

About Wireshark

Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer, and is the de facto (and often de jure) standard across many industries and educational institutions.

Wireshark development thrives thanks to the contributions of networking experts across the globe. It is the continuation of a project that started in 1998.

Features

Wireshark has a rich feature set which includes the following:

* Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
    * Live capture and offline analysis
    * Standard three-pane packet browser
    * Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
    * Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
    * The most powerful display filters in the industry
    * Rich VoIP analysis
    * Read/write many different capture file formats: tcpdump (libpcap), Pcap NG, Catapult DCT2000, Cisco Secure IDS iplog, Microsoft Network Monitor, Network General Sniffer® (compressed and uncompressed), Sniffer® Pro, and NetXray®, Network Instruments Observer, NetScreen snoop, Novell LANalyzer, RADCOM WAN/LAN Analyzer, Shomiti/Finisar Surveyor, Tektronix K12xx, Visual Networks Visual UpTime, WildPackets EtherPeek/TokenPeek/AiroPeek, and many others
    * Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
    * Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platform)
    * Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
    * Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
    * Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
    Fascinating program! I installed it on 2 of my Ubuntu boxes, and have been watching the stuff fly by.

Compared to amateur radio packet (I run a JNOS BBS, uses internet protocol), it sure is busy!
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Sweet!

I've been using a different program for this for ages, can't even remember the name.

Did a quick download of wireshark today, and it appears to be solid. Possible even to add proprietary protocol decoders? Ooooh, baby. I'll be looking into this some more.

Thanks, Paul.

download back track and burn the iso to cd.

its a live cd with a ton of tools i give a 5/5
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt
    Sweet!

I've been using a different program for this for ages, can't even remember the name.

Did a quick download of wireshark today, and it appears to be solid. Possible even to add proprietary protocol decoders? Ooooh, baby. I'll be looking into this some more.

Thanks, Paul.
    There is a way to copy hex stream, and I wrote a program to decode that hexstream when pasted into the program.