Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IC-745 Slowly Comming To Life

Banned

IC-745 Slowly Comming To Life

This is a project I have been looking forward to for some time now. I have two ICOM IC-745s one in reasonable condition and one in very used condition. The one in very used condition I have owned for over 25 years. I bought it back when I was going to get my license the Third Time, it's relegated to being the hanger queen.

The above radio arrived in non working condition, which was the expected condition. The first order of business was to obtain a PIEXX memory module.
    With the module installed troubleshooting could begin.
    As one might guess the main PLL was unlocked, the sub loop functioned properly and since I had placed an earlier order with Mouser for my 820 I went ahead and ordered some trimmer caps for the four VCOs on both PLL boards. (this unit and the hanger queen.)

Both boards were powered up and some basic tests were conducted before installing the board back in the radio. All the VCOs could be adjusted and steered over the required frequency ranges. Each VCO covers 8MHZ of the total range of the PLL.

Upon troubleshooting the hanger queen's PLL board in the unit it was discovered that the PLL chip was bad.
    All the correct serial data and control signals from the logic board were present, as well as the proper input signals from the main loop prescalier and reference divider. I ordered a PLL chip and prescalier chis from ICOM (OUCH) I should have bought the PLL chip from RF Parts.

The parts arrived and I proceeded to repair both boards. One board (the original board in the above radio) worked after replacing the trimmers and some adjustment of L8 (which is not documented in the service manual). L8 is the output transformer for the sub loop filter amplifier. The hanger queen PLL didn't work after repair and it was discovered that I had unsoldered a jumper wire that supplies power to the fourth VCO and the first buffer stage. The bottom shield was removed and the joint repaired. This board has yet to be tested. I may go ahead and test it after I deal with what is left to repair.

Bringing us up to date;
    I have a numb and weak (outpur RF) 745 along with the usual dirty pots, switches, relays, and connectors.
    As frequency increases both power and sensitivity decrease. This is acting like possible first mixer or first LO buffer (located on the RF board)
    Receiver sensitivity is 20DB down.
    Transmitter power (RTTY mode) starts out at 100W+ on 160M and ends up around 10W on 10M.
    I can hear the low pass filters switching when bands are changed. There are a few other checks that need to be made before jumping to conclusions though.

I also have to investigate why the metering circuits are not functioning properly, but first the above issue needs rectification.

More to follow, I will have some time today to work on sensitivity / power problem.

Re: IC-745 Slowly Comming To Life

Good deal. Which trimmer caps did you go with? I'm go to have to re-cap a pair of R-71As sometime soon. :-?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX
    Good deal. Which trimmer caps did you go with? I'm go to have to re-cap a pair of R-71As sometime soon. :-?
    http://www.mouser.com/Xicon/Passive-...-5g94Z1z0zls8/

i went with XICON
    2.8-12pf for the low freq. VCOs
    1.8-6pf for the hi freq. VCOs.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/24aa.pdf

Banned

Well this morning saw the failure of my desk lamp (a thrift store special) and the continuation of my PLL boards saga. The original PLL board has me scratching my head a little. VCO-1 & 2 work fine VCO three and four appear to be low in power output. With VCO-3 being the worse. I am wondering if i don't have a leaky switching diode or two, the transistors that turn on the VOCs work just fine and all they do is provide a DC return for the selected VCO. It might be time to pick up some IN5711's and replace them.

The second PLL board, the one from the hanger queen appears have a bad mixer, the one that mixes the up-converted sub-loop output with the VCO sample signal completing the main loop.

There are more tests I can do that will confirm this conclusion, however that involves more un-soldering and re-soldering of components than I really want to do at this time.

I'll just put in a parts order and wait and see regarding both boards.

This would be more fun if my desk lamp had not died this morning. :wall

How's the Icom project coming?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned

I was busy today and haven't had time to get to my work table.
    Tomorrow will bring more progress, I should have somrthing to report tomorrow evening. :)

Quote Originally Posted by AF6LJ
    Tomorrow will bring more progress, I should have somrthing to report tomorrow evening. :)
    Cool.

My table is now piled high with parts boxes - we started remodeling a spare bedroom/storage room and as a result, I lost my bench for a few days.

A spare counter for my other '901 is inbound and I've been working with Sara Gore of ICM (one of the Best People on Earth!) to get another timebase crystal for the failed counter unit.

I am half-tempted to design my own counter unit and do away with the OEM part altogether. Blue VFD graphics module as a readout....how cool would that be?

Banned

Cool.

My table is now piled high with parts boxes - we started remodeling a spare bedroom/storage room and as a result, I lost my bench for a few days.

A spare counter for my other '901 is inbound and I've been working with Sara Gore of ICM (one of the Best People on Earth!) to get another timebase crystal for the failed counter unit.

I am half-tempted to design my own counter unit and do away with the OEM part altogether. Blue VFD graphics module as a readout....how cool would that be?
    I like that idea Blue graphics :)

I am going to have to fix my HP-5245 in the garage, the oven power supply went belly up. It's just a 24VDC power supply and all it needs are diodes and a fliter cap. I like those nixie tubes.

We have a fence to repair in a couple of weeks, now that it's cool and before it rains :rofl: :rofl:
    Rain what is that :think

We have a fence to repair in a couple of weeks, now that it's cool and before it rains :rofl: :rofl:
    Rain is what stopped me from winterizing another of my motorcycles this afternoon. We got two of them done and were getting ready to wash a third when the sprinkles started.

Nixies...remember the NCX-5? I had a friend who owned one of those.

Banned

Rain is what stopped me from winterizing another of my motorcycles this afternoon. We got two of them done and were getting ready to wash a third when the sprinkles started.

Nixies...remember the NCX-5? I had a friend who owned one of those.
    I've seen pictures of the NCX-5 I have never seen one in real life.
    That was back when radios had personality, that was a sharp looking radio that and the NCL-2000 (which I have seen in real life)
    Everything now is ether black, gray or silver.