Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the Heck is with eHam?

What the Heck is with eHam?

I haven't been able to load up eHam for nearly a week now. Is someone doing a denial of service to them? WTF is going on? I keep looking to find some reviews there, but I can't even get the home page to load up.

Maybe it's me, or maybe it's something in this area, but I've never seen it so hard to get them for more than a day or so.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Re: What the Heck is with eHam?

It's like they just ain't there.
    This reeks of Frank!

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.eham.net.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Yeh, I came across a comparison between the Drake twins and the Kenwood twins. Looked very interesting (I've always had the hots for the Kenwood twins - R-499 and T-499) but it looks like no twins tonight.

*SIGH.*

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Loads right up. Must be fixed.

Works here, too.

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH
    Yeh, I came across a comparison between the Drake twins and the Kenwood twins. Looked very interesting (I've always had the hots for the Kenwood twins - R-499 and T-499) but it looks like no twins tonight.

*SIGH.*

R-599 and T-599.

In short:

Hot receiver; no WARC bands and no way to add them. Minimal controls - no notch filter, PBT and so forth. Options for 6 and 2M VHF receive converters; make sure you get them and the transceive cable if buying a set.

The R-599 has a "CB" position on the bandswitch. Yaesu also did this with their FR-101 series receivers, which were produced during the same time frame.

Modes are AM, FM, SSB and CW. Filters are available for AM and CW. The squelch control along with the band-select and selectivity switches have a chintzy paddle arrangement on the knob that's been known to come apart.

Having used a set, I would give them a 4 out of 5. They're nice but they're not a "B" or "C" line.

Get the "A" or "D" twins or a "D" transmitter/"S" receiver combination if possible. The standard "T-599" lacks features of the later transmitters.

That said...if money permits and high-performance is paramount:

Look into a TS-820S/R-820 or TR7/R7 "pair". Or you can get crafty like I did and slave a Kenwood TS-440S to an R-5000...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

By the way - there's a very nice "complete" set on eBay at the moment. If you're in the market for a pair of "twins" I would grab it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-NICE-KENWOO...d=p3286.c0.m14

Charlie doesn't sell junk, from what I understand. These should be in proper order.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I'd check with ELF. They may have tried to crash the site. Frank is their leader.