Thread: Fedora 12 - Pre Release

Fedora 12 - Pre Release

Well, Fedora 12 is available in it's alpha pre-release version. For those who want to be on the very bleeding edge of a distro here's your chance. As for me I'll wait till Fedora 13, 14, or 15. I'm simply not ready to re-install/upgrade every 3-4 months.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Re: Fedora 12 - Pre Release

Not to mention the 3rd party "non-free" repos don't really support the pre releases, so you'll end up breaking MP3 support, etc.

By the way, the package 'preupgrade' makes upgrading Fedora almost completely painless. I'll definitely move up to Fedora 12 a couple days after it's released.

i never could get fedora to run on this box. for some reason this box just hates fedora or fedora hates this box lol.

had fedora 11 on the laptop checking it out. pretty good i thought just didnt care for KDE 4 so i tossed debian lenny back on it.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL
    By the way, the package 'preupgrade' makes upgrading Fedora almost completely painless. I'll definitely move up to Fedora 12 a couple days after it's released.
    Tell me more... I generally do re-installations rather than upgrades. One reason i don;t do them often is that I end up spending the next couple days reconfiging and re-installing things top get it all back to where it was.

I might upgrade more often if I can do it painlesly and keep what I have and just upgrade what needs to be upgraded. Tell me about this "preupgrade" ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PreUpgrade

"Allow users to easily download all the files needed to upgrade their distro, and then reboot into the installer without burning media."

Exactly as it sounds. Grabs the packages you need, reboots into anaconda, installs the new packages, and makes the necessary configuration changes.