Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new toy

new toy

just got a new toy for 2 meters

just have to program it and the maxtrac uhf for 440mhz and get the two installed in the car.
    the maratrac is a vhf unit with 100 watts out and a great receive section and will allow me to reach the repeaters i used to frequent before moving a few months ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Re: new toy

Very cool. What kind of antenna are you going to mate it with?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC
    Very cool. What kind of antenna are you going to mate it with?
    it is going to be mated to my 10 year old 5/8 wave anntron mobile antenna. i have talked to the seneca sc. machine from the northern end of greene county ga. with the kenwood running 50 watts when conditions permitted.

some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

well i had a chance to test the transmit and receive.
    the receiver is excelent. conected to the 10 meter vertical at the house i was listening to a sheriff's dept. from about 60 miles north of me and they sounded like they were next door.
    the transmit was tested into a dummy load and it also does fine.
    now i just need to get the old computer up on dos and start programing.

pawn shops are a wonderful thing.
    another new toy
    i got a motorola radius cm200 25 watt vhf hi that will work nicely on 2 meters as a base radio.
    it was dirt cheap and on the shelf with a tag that said cb radio lol

I picked up a (CB walkie talkie) at a yard sale once for $5. It was a radio shack 2 meter HT, which I still have.

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr
    I picked up a (CB walkie talkie) at a yard sale once for $5. It was a radio shack 2 meter HT, which I still have.
    Once upon a time in the early 90's, one of my friends picked up a complete TS-440S setup (including mic, PS-50 and a matching external speaker) for $25 at a yard sale. The radio was but a few years old and the people selling it didn't want anything to do with that "CB junk"... :roll:

Ditto another buddy of mine who got hold of a Drake R7 for the lofty sum of $10. Cosmetically excellent but didn't work. On AC power, that is. Two diodes fixed that.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

i may actually get these radios on the air soon. dug an old packard bell 200 mhz desktop out of the corner of the garage today and fired it up. reset the clock speed in the bios to 16 mhz and disabled the chip cache so that the computer can see the rib on the serial port. it is about as slow as slow can be now and i am waiting for the software to finish loading. this may take some time lol.

the maratrac is programed and tested. now it is time to install it in the car. then it is time to mess with the uhf maxtrac. finally a computer slow enough to work.