Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chit Snack 25 Amp Switching Supply

Banned

Chit Snack 25 Amp Switching Supply

Radio Shack was selling a 25 amp switching supply specifically made for ham radio use. It got good reviews and was quite affordable, so of course they discontinued it without warning. Anyone know of a similar supply available elsewhere at a decent price? I need a good high output regulated supply for my station, as I don't plan on doing mobile any longer, but I don't want to spend a lot of $$. If I have to I'll just build one but I'm not quite feeling up to doing that sort of thing right now.

Banned

Re: Chit Snack 25 Amp Switching Supply

Gee, does anyone read posts in the ham radio section anymore? lol

I run a Workman 25 amp regulated supply for my 706, have never had a problem with it. And if I did I could drive to their shop and get it taken care of heheh.

They run around $125.00
    73 de Keith
    'Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself.'
    --Mark Twain

How much did that RS25A switcher sell for back in the day?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC
    How much did that RS25A switcher sell for back in the day?
    I think it was about $60.

Interesting because they used to sell their 10A conventional $100 which sucked at that price.
    I picked up an MFJ 4035MV last year for $135 new. I think they've gone up now but it's built like a tank and runs 24/7. Adj V but the meters are not lighted. That would have been a nice touch.
    Sorry I can't help with the RS But I'm sure they could sell you a cell phone. :rofl:

The Astron SS-25, a quality switcher, is about $120 on Universal Radio. I think the SS-25M is $160.

Personally, I'd get a linear supply. I have a RS-35 that I bought in 1992. It still powers a 2 meter rig and a 170 watt amplifier, but I did mount a cooling fan on the heat sink.

I picked up a RS-20M from a guy on QRZ for $55 + shipping. That one powers a Kenwood TMD-700A.

Oh, yeah ... I bought a 15 amp RS switcher a few years ago, $89. It's a POS ... had to put toroids on both the 115v and 12v cables to keep the RF from a dual bander from shutting it off, even though I have Belden 9913 all the way to the pigtail on the radio.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Estate sales are your friends.

I picked a sh!t-ton of Astron linear supplies (35, 50, 70A) up from the widow of a buddy of mine for a very low price. She just wanted the things out of the house.

My 12v power needs have been met for a long way into the future.

As is the case with Luke, I would rather not put a switching-type supply in the shack.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg
    Oh, yeah ... I bought a 15 amp RS switcher a few years ago, $89. It's a POS ... had to put toroids on both the 115v and 12v cables to keep the RF from a dual bander from shutting it off, even though I have Belden 9913 all the way to the pigtail on the radio.
    I've had that problem with my Astron SS-20, too. Fortunately, just moving the power supply to a different location "fixed" it.

Ok, so I'm a little behind and this post is aging rapidly but....

If you don't need anything fancy such as meters or anything try the Jetstream JTPS28 from R&L at around $85.00. 28 Amp surge and 25 Amp continuous.

http://www.rlham.com/cgi-bin/shop/model ... DEL=JTPS28

Three pages of reviews on eHam http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5204
    and carrying a 5/5 rating.

I have never owned a Jetstream and have no experience with them but they were a serious contender when I was looking for a lightweight supply to keep handy for the FT-817. I may still get one of their smaller models to carry along but picked up a RS 15 amp to play backyard radio as soon as I get a crash problem taken care of between the radio and the laptop.