Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do I break a stuck screw and other questions

how do I break a stuck screw and other questions

I am having a tough time breaking a tough small screw on my ICOM IC T2H. Its the small black screw on bottom left side. it has a bit of either rust or something on it and it wont come free. I am using a jewlers screwdriver but that darn thing is way too small for my sausage fingers. I put a drop of vinegar on it to see if that might break it but so far no good. Don't have any breaking oil either. I stopped trying before totally stripping the head out whic would screw me totally

I want to look inside the radio. I won it at a hamfest back in '01 on the day I got my general ticket. It took a tumble about 6 moths later and quit working. I put it away and it got shuffled about during the several moves since then. I want to see about getting it open to see if I caan figure out if its a broken board or something else. I doubt I will get it working again but I figure I might as well take a look to see if it's something obvious.

Any advice?

thanks

Re: how do I break a stuck screw and other questions

You'll need a fatter screwdriver that fits, is about all I can offer. Jeweler's screwdrivers are hard on the hands.

Honestly, and I know from experience, a top dollar screwdriver will bite harder and is less likely to strip the head out. A Snap-On phillips-head of the proper size should do the trick, especially if you have a buddy who has the complete set of Snap-On Precision screwdrivers. I have a set, and they've saved my bacon many times.

And, if you can find a can of "PB Blaster" penetrating oil:

That stuff is the real deal ...
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg
    Honestly, and I know from experience, a top dollar screwdriver will bite harder and is less likely to strip the head out. A Snap-On phillips-head of the proper size should do the trick, especially if you have a buddy who has the complete set of Snap-On Precision screwdrivers. I have a set, and they've saved my bacon many times.

And, if you can find a can of "PB Blaster" penetrating oil:

That stuff is the real deal ...
    Works on frozen (I mean literally) carabiners.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Do you prefer your carabiners anodized, or polished? :rofl:
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Frosted and knurled.

Knobbly!
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

OK Cool thanks guys. I willl try to find a bigger screwdriver. Only problem is the screw is sunk in the fram so I dont know if a standard size screwdriver will fit. Them screws is itty bitty things! I'll see if I can find some of that breaker stuff. gotta be careful though, I'm out of work and dont have a lot of disposable income anymore..lol

I don't get it.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Drill a tiny hole in it if your sausage fingers will allow, using a mini-drill. Some of these tiny screws are case-hardened but I shouldn't think it will apply here.