Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Island needs our help! Please take a moment ...

The Island needs our help! Please take a moment ...

On January 19, 2007, the "Island of Misfit Hams" was born on a dare from a moderator on the "other" amateur radio site. At that time, it was never anticipated that the site would literally explode on the amateur radio scene as it has. We began by being hosted on the free phpBB server, which allowed only the most basic features of the software to be used.

Later that year, Tony, KR4UQ, graciously offered space on the server that hosts his company's web site. We remained there until Tony informed me that we should prepare for a move to another server, as he was looking forward to selling his business, and a well deserved retirement. This is when Jeff, W4GPL, and his company, "The Linux Technology Group", graciously offered to host the Island forums and our companion web site.

Now, reality of the severity of the global recession has hit close to home. Without going into the details, Jeff has notified me that his business is suffering from the same poor economic times that has affected many of us here, and he is asking the amateur radio sites he hosts for help offsetting the costs of running his servers. Yes, Jeff is currently hosting other amateur sites in addition to the Island, all previously at no cost to any of them.

We enjoy a very prolific group in regards to the amount of activity generated by a mere 400+ members, and we do use a significant amount of bandwidth. Jeff and I spent several hours yesterday discussing the realities of the matter, and have ruled out moving to one of the "el-cheapo" web hosting sites as a possibility. The number one issue that came up is in regards to having root access at the server level, which allows us to do many creative things not otherwise possible. As an example of the bandwidth used, consider just our "emoticons". Each and every time one of us makes a post or reply, all of them (nearly 100k) are displayed. Multiply that by the number of posts and replies made each day, and consider that this is only the little smilies we all enjoy. We have custom themes, huge PM mailboxes, and a vast readership, all requiring bandwidth.

Now, the Island needs our help to stay on the excellent server on which we reside, the server that allows us so many customizations, with no downtime logged from the day we arrived.

We are offering the following paypal link for those who wish to offer something to help offset the costs of hosting our forums. You do not have to be a member of paypal to use the service. I have investigated the service, and in a one time situation, the paypal system will allow you to use a credit card to make a donation, and when the transaction is complete, none of your account information is retained, unless you opt to join the service as a member. Here is the link for offering a contribution to help keep our forums running:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=7444970

It should open in a new tab or window, depending on your choice of browser.

Reaching the decision to make this request was difficult for all of us involved. We had always hoped that we could operate the site totally free for all of our members. Sadly, the current economic conditions have dictated otherwise.

In order to avoid the complications of having "groups", dividing our membership into "paying", and "non-paying" as is done on other sites, all donations will be anonymous as far as our staff and members are concerned. We understand that not everyone will be willing or able to make a contribution, and we accept that without question.

We have chosen to approach only the immediate need for assistance, but we will leave the link active for future donations. If the situation changes, we will notify everyone of those changes. We considered all sorts of solutions, including ad banners (ugh!), and have decided to table these until the situation demands their reconsideration.

Please consider what our forums mean to you as an individual, and act accordingly. If anyone wishes to offer any creative solutions for offsetting the costs associated with running the site, please offer them, all will be considered. Please do not use this thread as an opportunity to express what you believe is wrong or right with our forums. If you are compelled to do so, we invite you to start another thread elsewhere for such discussion. We are receptive to such opinion, but just not here. We wish to remain focused on this immediate need, and distractions of that sort aren't going to help us provide you these forums in which to share your opinions with others.

On behalf of the entire staff, allow me to thank each and every one of you for being a contributor to our forums and web site.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wishes to offer help in keeping our forums alive.

Respectfully offered on behalf of our entire staff.

Best 73,
    Luke - ad4mg
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA

Re: The Island needs our help! Please take a moment ...

What is reasonably needed to not bankrupt Jeff and keep the Island alive per month?
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Yea... how about a gas gauge or donations thermometer. So we know what's needed.

I'd sell band candy for this place...
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by nx6d
    What is reasonably needed to not bankrupt Jeff and keep the Island alive per month?
    A very valid question, Dave. I asked Jeff the same question yesterday. Matter of fact, it was my first in a series of many questions.

Lacking a detailed analysis to go from, and to retain solutions to the specific needs of our site, Jeff estimated hosting costs for a site such as this on a fast, reliable server would run approximately $30 per month. He offered this as a low end estimate based on our needs.

We're certainly not looking to profit in any manner, we only wish to keep the site going without placing the burden upon any one person.

Certainly, cheaper solutions are available ... I had researched this before we moved from Tony's server, and hosting is available for as little as $5 per month, but sacrifices would have to be made.

Please let me stress that we don't expect anyone to place additional burden upon themselves in order to make a contribution, and large contributions, while welcomed, are not expected.

If 30 or 40 of us offer $10 - $20 each, we will have covered our share of the expenses quite nicely for about a year. This is only my personal observation. We haven't set any particular goal, and will graciously accept whatever we get. Jeff has assured me that we are welcome to remain on his server for some time to come, irregardless of what we are able to contribute.

Since I volunteered to head up this effort, I will gladly address any reasonable questions or concerns. Just allow me the time to keep up ... you guys have me vastly outnumbered! :D
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX
    Yea... how about a gas gauge or donations thermometer. So we know what's needed.

I'd sell band candy for this place...

You're the man, Dave!

I will gladly provide updates on contributions received a little later. Like I mentioned in the post above, we were unable to come to terms on a specific goal other than to use a year to gauge what we believe will be necessary.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Yes, please, Luke, give us an idea of what's needed. I'm more than happy and eager to help out.

[edit] Oh, well, it's already there. Thanks, Luke.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

I see a future in Merchandi$e...
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

No paypal.
    Do you mind if i send a donation (cash) to an adress of your choice?

You can PM mee about that, have lotsa dollars extra here for good causes

Looks like this is one.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I like this place...consider it done. I wish i could pay for the entire year, but i sent what i could.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.