Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar minimum of 2008-2009: Century-class event

Solar minimum of 2008-2009: Century-class event

As most everyone knows, especially those on HF experiencing poor reception, we are in a very deep solar minimum, being described as a century-class event (Link) as confirmed by NASA (Link).

Other notable lows include:
    - 50 year low in solar pressure
    - 12 year low in solar irradiance
    - 55 year low in solar radio emmissions

So what is in the future? We may be able to see what the future brings by using hindcast of past data and observations.

We can see here that there was a huge minimum in the 1600 to 1700 known as the Maunder Minimum, just after 1800 - known as the Dalton Minimum, then in 1900 there was a dip, but not deep enough to warrant a designation. Could there be a pattern of deep minimums every 200 years (approximate 1600, 1800, 2000)?

Is this cycle periodic? Another plot based on changes in C14 levels may give us a clue.

(BP = Before Present)

We see other incidences of minimums - Sporer Minimum, Wolf Minimum, and the Oort Minimum. We also see what is referred to as the Medieval Maximum (a period of above normal temperature), and what is being referred to as the Modern Maximum.

If one tries to visually 'average' this cycle as a wave, we can see a cycle that rises to the Medieval Maximum then bottoms out the Sporer and Maunder Minimum, and then back to the Modern maximum. Notice that the deep minimums are still about 200 years apart, more or less.

By projecting from past cycle data, me may anticipate what the future may bring. Are we heading into a protracted minimum? What is the impact on Amateur Radio (HF reception)? Is this actually a good thing or bad thing?

Here is an item that discusses the possibility of a Dalton Minimum Repeat (Link)

"Still, something like the Dalton Minimum — two solar cycles in the early 1800s that peaked at about an average of 50 sunspots — lies in the realm of the possible, Dr. Hathaway said. (The minimums are named after scientists who helped identify them: Edward W. Maunder and John Dalton.)". David Hathaway, a scientist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/scien ... .html?_r=2

Re: Solar minimum of 2008-2009: Century-class event

Bummer. This indicates I'll probably be dead before we have another decent cycle.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

So...what would be the cause of the sine wave?

That's indicative of a cyclical event which would have to be somewhat local in scale...far too short in duration to be caused by extra-system influences, such as the positioning of the sun relative to the galactic plane.

Jovian gravitational influences, perhaps?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg
    Bummer. This indicates I'll probably be dead before we have another decent cycle.
    But 160-40 will continue to kick azz...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

There is a lot about the sun we do not know.

We do know that the sun is getting warmer. It was about 10% cooler 3 billion years ago, if I remember right. There could be internal cycles galactic influences, we don't know all the causes/effects, but we certainly can feel them.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX
    But 160-40 will continue to kick azz...
    I need to get my 160 meter inverted vee back up for winter. I'm already decent on 75/80 with the dipole, but it needs to go back up to it's proper height of 65' - 70'. 40 meters has left a lot to be desired the last few months.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF
    There is a lot about the sun we do not know.

We do know that the sun is getting warmer. It was about 10% cooler 3 billion years ago, if I remember right. There could be internal cycles galactic influences, we don't know all the causes/effects, but we certainly can feel them.
    Amateur radio forums. The universe can hold only so much hot air ...

Just thinking out loud again. It's been a while since I have ...

40 meters has left a lot to be desired the last few months.
    One guy operating there during the DE QSO Party was pinning my gauge at 6PM ... :shock:

Carl Reiner is like what? 150 now?

Using the published sunspot data and comparing it to 1913 minimum, it looks like this minimum will exceed that of 1913 in duration and depth. Here is a seven year comparison when both cycles dropped below 50