Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ
Quote Originally Posted by n2ize

Such is often the case. :)

If you know what the default engine is that the various apps use to play audio/video (i.e. xine, gstreamer, etc.) then you can usually just force an install of all the plugins/codecs for that engine.

For example if it's gstreamer you might be able to do a

$ apt-get install gstreamer*

adding the wildcard at the end to select the various plug-in/add-on packages that go with "gstreamer"....This is of course assuming that sound functionality and package installation bears similarity to fedora which I am pretty sure it does.

In any event I strongly suggest you look install the vlc media player. If you install "libdvdcss" (for experimental purposes) and then do a full install of vlc you should be able to play DVD's and most any audio/video format right out of the box. From my experiences when all else fails vlc usually works. In addition it plays streaming content, it serves streaming audio/video over a network and, it can be used as a converter as well.
Yea, I got it all working. Well, most everything. I am going to follow your suggestion after I get back from the drug store ( I have to pick up my meds).

Thanks again. :monkeydance:
Sounds good. Oh, and while your there please pick me up some good drugs. A bottle or two of Laudanum should get me through the rest of the week. Hi Hi.