Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just found an old HTX 242 I forgot I had

Just found an old HTX 242 I forgot I had

I was going through some old boxes the other day and I ran across an old Radio Shack htx 242. It looks a little old and beat up and is missing the battery side of the power cable. I dont even know if it works anymore. I was thinking of making one with some crimp connectors and some 14 gauge wire. I was also looking around online to see if I could find a replacement cord with the molded male plug on it. I can't find one anywhere. Does anyone have a resource that sells plugs for this radio?

Re: Just found an old HTX 242 I forgot I had

Post a pic of the connector, please...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

My camera ainty the best but I hopethese are clear enough.

I don't even remember if the radio works. I seem to remember picking it up 4 or 5 years ago but never got around to checking it out. I need to homebrew a 2m antenna for it to check it out. Been looking for wire coat hangers all day but they are getting harder and harder to find lol. If I find it does work, I just might install it on my truck after I come off medical leave.

Thanks.

Standard Kenwood VHF/UHF radio power cable will fit that. You may have to change polarity; I'm not sure how the RS connector is "keyed" vs the Kenwood's layout.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

OK cool Thanks! I will look around for that then. Much appreciated! The lines are clearly marked red and black so I won't have a problem correcting any issue.

Here's a pic and link to one on Universal's site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL.../28824116.html

AFAIK, Digikey and Mouser sell the connector shells if you want to 'roll your own'. There are a number of eBay sellers offering similar cables.

It says RS but it came out of an Icom factory if that helps.

Excellent guys Thanks! I did searching but couldn't fund anything. I guess I just don't know how to do a proper search...lol I checked HRO and AES but they didn't offer pictures and I had no idea what the model number was.

using the "light version" of the Island interface, I don't know how to get those smiley emoticon thingys so I'll just have to say Salute and "insert beer drinking smiley here"

I may have a spare Icom power lead or three floating around. If for some reason the Kenwood part won't work for you, let me know.

Such plugs have been used throughout the auto industry for years. You should be able to find the plug rather cheap at an auto parts store.