Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn Your PlayStation 3 Into a Linux PC

Banned

Re: Turn Your PlayStation 3 Into a Linux PC

Now if you could reverse that process, my son would be forever grateful. He loves video games and my three twitterbugs each have a Linux machine in their bedrooms. This 3,000 square foot three story house has three access points. I think he'd much rather have the PS3...

There was Linux for the PS2 as well. Officially sanctioned by Sony too:

http://playstation2-linux.com/

Someday one of you are going to have to teach me the ways of linux. I have played with it unsuccessfully several times.

I never seem to be able to get it to install properly. Well, I did on the one desktop but my laptops told me to piss off. Having at least one windows PC is a must for me as I like my games. :D

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

I wish I knew more about linux too but I guess I'm too lazy to understand it well enough to make most general software run on it. I'd really like to know what crap on XP I can shut off in the Task Manager. I don't understand why I need 40 to 52 processes running in the background if I'm just using PhotoShop or whatever.
    There are some things that I recognize that I already shutdown but then there's the things in the OS that are running that are not needed that I don't know if it's OK to turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC
    I wish I knew more about linux too but I guess I'm too lazy to understand it well enough to make most general software run on it. I'd really like to know what crap on XP I can shut off in the Task Manager. I don't understand why I need 40 to 52 processes running in the background if I'm just using PhotoShop or whatever.
    There are some things that I recognize that I already shutdown but then there's the things in the OS that are running that are not needed that I don't know if it's OK to turn off.
    If it does not say .exe then it is turned off on mine and even a few of those are gone. I have a few System processes, local, and host as well. What used to be 40 is now 15. Dropped my total CP usage from 25% to 2%.

I also have things such a prefect shedding on auto.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

There are some things that are just there to bloat the system and are unnecessary. Surely there is a list somewhere of what you can turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC
    There are some things that are just there to bloat the system and are unnecessary. Surely there is a list somewhere of what you can turn off.
    Yes there is but I don't remember where RCL found it. He gave me a list of other changes to make as well and my PC's run so much smoother and faster. I will get with him and ask where he got the lists from and get back to you.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Gotta try this soon. Has anyone done this & did things go smoothly? If linux can tap the full power of the PS3 engine, that could be a very powerful workstation.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH
    Gotta try this soon. Has anyone done this & did things go smoothly? If linux can tap the full power of the PS3 engine, that could be a very powerful workstation.
    I have heard some people who have done it and claimed that it worked out quite well. But as for me I have never tried it. I never owned a PS2 or PS3. I do like my PDP-11 though.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.