Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here work 10m or 6m FM?

Anyone here work 10m or 6m FM?

I have one of those neato Yaesu FT8900 quadband things, not to mention a UHV4 antenna, mounted on my white Chev van, but haven't really worked much more than the 2m around here with it. How far could I expect to get with it given conditions these days? Keep in mind, it's FM only. I'd really like to try and work a certain K2 station in and around the Fort Erie area. Is that a possibility or could I even go further?
    Breaker, breaker
    Got a picture taker
    On Smokies at 43

{Homer mode on}
    ...mmmmm....smokies!
    {/Homer mode}

Re: Anyone here work 10m or 6m FM?

I'm not set up to transmit on 10M-FM but I do listen to it on my HT and Scanner. If conditions are right, there are no terrestrial limits on range. I've heard Australia, England and Japan come in like they were locals.

If the prop is good and your antenna is tuned, you should have no problem. A lot of people listen to CB to find out what band conditions are. If it's happening on 11M, it's pretty much happening on 10 too.

The FT-8900 is a cool radio. I have the FT-857, FT-817, Alinco and Azden all which have 10M-FM. I also have a 10M h/t but the antenna on it is a joke.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

If I ever get deployed to Afghanamistan, I'm going to make sure I have a FT817 along...
    Breaker, breaker
    Got a picture taker
    On Smokies at 43

{Homer mode on}
    ...mmmmm....smokies!
    {/Homer mode}

Are there any 10M FM repeaters in your area?

We have one in the Akron-Canton vicinity (Massillon Amateur Radio Club) and another in Akron proper - WA8DBW's interlinked multi-band system. Another is located in Salem, about 35 miles east of me.

Expect a coverage area of about 50 miles or so in diameter when operating 10M mobile, and if you're operating from a fixed station and utilizing a decent antenna you can double that distance for line-of-sight to the repeated.

10M FM simplex...I have a couple of rigs in the shack which are FM-capable and will be rearranging the Yaesu lineup in the next few days to include an FT726R and FT-901DM w/ transverter. Either rig can do the simplex bit.

My friend Marty, N8XPK has a high-profile 6M repeater on 53.17; it's PLed but all are welcome on it. AFAIK, the PL frequency is 110.9. If you're near the northern shore of Lake Erie you ought to be able to hit the machine via your -8900.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX

We have one in the Akron-Canton vicinity (Massillon Amateur Radio Club) and another in Akron proper - WA8DBW's interlinked multi-band system. Another is located in Salem, about 35 miles east of me.

Expect a coverage area of about 50 miles or so in diameter when operating 10M mobile, and if you're operating from a fixed station and utilizing a decent antenna you can double that distance for line-of-sight to the repeated.

10M FM simplex...I have a couple of rigs in the shack which are FM-capable and will be rearranging the Yaesu lineup in the next few days to include an FT726R and FT-901DM w/ transverter. Either rig can do the simplex bit.

My friend Marty, N8XPK has a high-profile 6M repeater on 53.17; it's PLed but all are welcome on it. AFAIK, the PL frequency is 110.9. If you're near the northern shore of Lake Erie you ought to be able to hit the machine via your -8900.
    Dude, I have not talked to Marty in months.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Hmmm...nowhere near the north shore of Erie. Trenton is on the Bay of Quinte, an offshoot of Lake Ontario. The antenna and rig are set up mobile, as I mentioned. <sigh> I'll have to get that 706 working. Oh, for another 20 feet of tower height...
    Breaker, breaker
    Got a picture taker
    On Smokies at 43

{Homer mode on}
    ...mmmmm....smokies!
    {/Homer mode}

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ
    I saw him a few weeks back - he got a Gold Wing last year and was wondering how to integrate his VX7R into the bike's electronics. 'DSG's bike has all the neato goodies mounted on it, so we went over and showed him what to get. The ladies chatted by the hot tub, and the three doodz checked out the bikes, Marty's radios and other assorted man-cave stuff... ;)
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by radargrrl
    Hmmm...nowhere near the north shore of Erie. Trenton is on the Bay of Quinte, an offshoot of Lake Ontario. The antenna and rig are set up mobile, as I mentioned. <sigh> I'll have to get that 706 working. Oh, for another 20 feet of tower height...
    You're close enough that you should be able to hit the 29.620 machine in NYC, right?

I saw him a few weeks back - he got a Gold Wing last year and was wondering how to integrate his VX7R into the bike's electronics. 'DSG's bike has all the neato goodies mounted on it, so we went over and showed him what to get. The ladies chatted by the hot tub, and the three doodz checked out the bikes, Marty's radios and other assorted man-cave stuff... ;)

By the hot tub, why not in it?

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

By the hot tub, why not in it?
    Wasn't heated up enough. 'DSG has an aversion to 50-degree water ...