Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-stroke Oil

2-stroke Oil

My garden machinery tools all require slightly different 2-stroke mixtures. With one hedge trimmer exception, which I am selling soon because it's a pig anyway, they will all run on a 33:1 mixture but some end up very oily at the exhaust end. (I am playing safe). I am now using a Husqvarna low-smoke oil but know little else about it, the label proclaims nothing.

There are some oils available to equipment hire agencies which are not only low-smoke but still claim to protect and lubricate 2-stroke engines with all sorts of mixture ratios. This is to safeguard tools which often end up being used by lunatics.

Has anyone experience of various 2-stroke oils, the internet does provide lists of ISO and American "ratings"?

Re: 2-stroke Oil

Let me do a little digging on some of the motorcycle boards I frequent and see what I can dig up for you...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned

I have to ask... Which is more manly, a two stroke or a four stroke? :think

Quote Originally Posted by K2KLI
    Only if it has a kick starter. :dance
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

An easily starting 2 stroke pull start... may cause premature feelings of inadequacy?

Well, there is a solution: :twisted:

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by K2KLI
    HAAH!

Banned

I vaguely remember a 33:1 mix ratio being popular but that was over 25/30 years ago. My Polan chain saw uses 40:1, as did the 2 Husqvarna chain saws I owned before the Polan. If you are getting an oil build up on the muffler you could go to a quality 40:1 oil (mixing it at the 40:1 mixture) without any problem. The oil DOES make a difference.
    If you have an antique 2 cycle engine that was recommended to use with the old oils at a 24:1 ratio, going to a modern 40:1 oil at a bit less (your 33:1 would be a good bet) would be no problem.
    There are also synthetic oils on the market here but I never tried them since they are so much more expensive over the regular oils. Maybe they have a higher oil burn characteristic which would eliminate your oil build up problem.

...but yes, if you are getting an oil build up definitely reduce your oil to gasoline/petrol ratio. I've done it with older chainsaws I owned over 30 years ago without any problems.
    If an oil is rated 40:1 you should be able to use that mix ratio with confidence in any modern piece of equipment.

I had 2 Evinrude outboards years ago which ran on a 50:1 ratio using special oil, but marine applications are different because they are water cooled. Never use a marine engine oil in an air cooled engine.

I bet your Husqvarna oil is a 40:1 ratio, use that mixture and forget the 33:1.

I have a new Craftsman weedeater that calls for 50:1. Pour one tiny little container marked 50:1 in per gallon of gasoline. Fine business right?
    Last season, the electric fuel pump on my scooter started to fail with only 5000 miles on the clock. I suspected that the gasoline had too much detergent in it. I've been wondering if I needed to add 50ml of prepared 2 stroke gas from the weedeater, per gallon of gas for the scooter to counteract the excessive detergent action of the gasoline in my area. The compression ratio for the scooter is 12:1 so aside from using racing fuel, I must run premium from the pump. I have not run racing fuel in it but the bike shops sell it in 10 gal. cans for $130+ LOL!
    Any petrol experts?

I found both Oregon and Stihl 50:1 oils in my nearest cut-price mower shop, both oils claiming to exceed ISO EGD, both pink, possibly made by the same company. The "extreme" oil I found on the internet said 100:1.

The lesser 40:1 oils are also pink, there are a few of those which all seem to originate with the Husqvarna group who also own Partner, Flymo and McCullough brands, and the Husqvarna I have is green. It'd be nice if the labels had more details. There's no blue oil for boys however.

I'll follow the 40:1 advice immediately to start and see how it goes.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman