Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 meter band plan question

Banned

2 meter band plan question

We have a group that regularly meets on 146.56 FM simplex.
    On occasion we get interference from 146.55 FM which seems to be a popular freq for some reason.
    According to my understanding 146.55, although not illegal to transmit on, is definitely not a legitimate freq according to the ARRL band plan.
    I've already told this to some hams using that freq and now have a few hams visiting here from Arizona using the annoying 6.55.

With either 15 kc spacing (suggested for the east) or 20 kc spacing (suggested for the west) 146.55 comes up in neither.

Re: 2 meter band plan question

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty
    We have a group that regularly meets on 146.56 FM simplex.
    On occasion we get interference from 146.55 FM which seems to be a popular freq for some reason.
    According to my understanding 146.55, although not illegal to transmit on, is definitely not a legitimate freq according to the ARRL band plan.
    I've already told this to some hams using that freq and now have a few hams visiting here from Arizona using the annoying 6.55.

With either 15 kc spacing (suggested for the east) or 20 kc spacing (suggested for the west) 146.55 comes up in neither.
    I guess it really depends on which "gentleman's agreement" you want to listen to.. Here in Orlando, 146.565 is a very popular simplex frequency... so by my day to day usage, I'd say you're out of bounds. But the ARRL band plan makes no specific reference to channelized (for lack of a better word) simplex frequencies.

It's really something that should be resolved locally and with the parties involved. There's no reason why they can't QSY down 5 or you up 5. I'd spend less time arguing about band plans and more time just eliminating interference. It's not entirely dissimilar to 28.400, though not a "calling frequency" recognized by any major organization, why fight it? Just QSY.

If I recall, 146.52, 146.55 and 146.58 are all national simplex frequencies (30 KHz spacing). 146.56 is not on a 15KHz mark, so you'd be the oddball where the plan is concerned. It's all legal, though. The plan is "just a plan."

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL
    It's not entirely dissimilar to 28.400, though not a "[highlight:19grihyd]name[/highlight:19grihyd]-calling frequency" recognized by any major organization, why fight it? Just QSY.
    Edited for reality in light of today's donnybrook between a group of 5-landers and a group of 8-landers.

If this is what's going to go on when the spots return...I'll kindly see all of you below .100, on 29.0 MHz AM or on 29.600 FM simplex. :roll:
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

here there is a group on 146.565 and another at 146.58

then there is another group at 144.94.

but hard telling if they are still there these days as i have no way to check in on them
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Banned

According to the ARRL repeater directory 15 khz spacing in the east and 20 khz spacing in the west (where the dividing line is I don't know, maybe the Mississippi?). 146.52 is the call freq and 20 khz spacing = .52, .54, .56

I never heard of 30 khz spacing

This might be a question for the magnificent ZED.

By all means, be mature about it.

According to the ARRL repeater directory 15 khz spacing in the east and 20 khz spacing in the west (where the dividing line is I don't know, maybe the Mississippi?). 146.52 is the call freq and 20 khz spacing = .52, .54, .56

15 KHz is the norm here.

.52, .535, .55, .565 and .58 are this area's most often used frequencies. A bunch of us hang out on .58.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Never heard of that before. East/west dividing line usually means the Mississippi River. Spacing has always been 30KHz everywhere as far as I know.

Back in the "old days" (mid-1970's and before), all repeater allocations were at 30KHz intervals. Many of the older repeater groups around here have held their original frequencies for 40+ years now. They only started going to 15KHz intervals when they ran out of 30KHz "slots." 20KHz spacing doesn't work real well when you started with 30KHz. Keep in mind that back before 15KHz spacing started, all 2m rigs used crystals. If you wanted to use a new (to you) repeater, it might cost you $20 for the "rocks." Even then, a number of repeater pairs were more popular. For instance, if you used a 146.34/.94 repeater locally, you at least had a decent shot that your rig would work elsewhere because it was one of the more popularly assigned repeater pairs.

OK, then! Let me know how that works out for ya ...
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?