Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loop project

Loop project

Hey gang, am working on a loop antenna this time. Another project where I have no experience, so lets get ta learnin!

What I want to do, is remove my 320' dipole at the farm, and in its place make a nice big loop.
    I have a vertical down there for DX, and am looking for something that will work great for stateside for contests and just ragchew every now and then.

Some info:
    I can feed it with 450 ohm ladder line
    The feed point will be roughly 50-60'
    The lowest point one of the legs might get would be 30'
    My primary focus is 40 and above
    I have a Dentron MT-2000A to tune it with
    ----

So what do you guys think? What suggestions might you have for me in terms of length, or anything really.

I am all ears :geek

Re: Loop project

Another birthday and there you go getting all loopy on us...
    Happy Birthday OM.

We use 2 full 160M loops every year during field day (about 520, or so, feet of wire each) and I always enjoy using those antennas. We usually pull these up a little higher than most people could get them, stadium lighting can be very handy.
    If you have no interest in 160 or 80, make one for 40m and you might get a more reasonable radiation pattern on the higher frequency bands. A little antenna modelling on this might give you insight as to what you could expect, we modelled our loops at a club meeting using various heights, on various bands and it was interesting to see the changes in radiation patterns, on 40, 20, 15, and 10.

A full wave on 80m is slightly shorter than your dipole, you could probably just attach the ends together on it and see what happens. You might like it, and it is almost already completed. If your feeding it with balanced line, the dfference in length may not be a significant problem.
    Sounds like a happy accident waiting to happen.

Good luck and I;m interested in some of the answers to this as well.
    Trey-

edit:whoops

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Forum Addict

560 feet. Feed it in the corner. Your going have to tweek it to get it resonant wherever you want it on each band. Someday if you can have a relay in the opposite corner from the feed point. Then you'll really have a bomber... P.S. If you can find a copy of William Orr's antenna book. Get it ...

Sounds like the loop I have here. Dentron Supertuner with 450 Ohm balanced line. I added about 100 feet of wire to it about a week ago from about 350' feet to about 450'. It works great, and it's fantastic for SWL. Even AM Broadcast Band DX.

Definitely make it shorter than this if you want 40 and up.

With the shorter length version, I played with lowering the west (feed point) side of the loop, as a sloping loop. It helped to kill the QRN a little, and I was louder on the left coast.

Called it the Sloppy Loop.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

All good points and ideas, keep em' coming!

Are you using trees? I use the "Hyperdog" tennis ball slingshot with fishing line to get the wires up there. I still want a PVC cannon though.

Tribal Warrior

KU0DM,

I put up my first loop a few weeks ago. It's a 40 meter full wave at about 40' high fed with ladder line.

The bottom line is it's working amazingly well on all bands > 40, not so great at 40 & pretty crappy lower than that (but I really don't care about 75 & 80).

If you have the room, build out a full wave 80 meter loop, and you'll have a great performer on 40 & up. If you model it out, you'll see as the frequency increases, you start getting nice lobes forming off all sides of the loop in an omnidirectional patter. The higher the frequency gets, the more lobes form & they can give you some nice gain.

Here is a thread I've been writing in to discuss this antenna:
    http://www.eham.net/forums/TowerTalk/15519

& here http://w9pds.org/loop.jpg is a pic of the feedpoint. I'm on a pretty small city lot but the loop just fits inside my property. It's damn near invisible & you would never notice it from the street unless I pointed it out to you. It is impossible to get a picture of the whole thing, it just doesn't show up on camera.

You won't regret putting one up. I'd like to hear your experiences if you do.

W9PDS

http://w9pds.org/loop.jpg is a pic of the feedpoint.
    Same ladder line, same color of shingles... What are you doing on my roof? :shock:

And you're sure right about the lobes, with the multiple wavelength loops... purpose built, there is serious gain in those flower petals. I'm concerned that adding the extra wire to my loop changed the lobes on 10 meters to something resembling a Chia-Pet's hair do. :roll:

Tribal Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by KCØTLW
    I'm concerned that adding the extra wire to my loop changed the lobes on 10 meters to something resembling a Chia-Pet's hair do.

Hehe, Exactly. I wish the higher bands were open, I'd love to see how this thing is working.

What is really intriguing to me is I'm getting great SWR untuned on 6 meters. Like 1:5 or better across the whole band. It will be very interesting to see what this thing does on 6 when it picks up again.

Tribal Warrior

KCØTLW:

I know you recently mentioned in another thread about how quiet your loop is. I'm curious what your overall impression of it is?

What size did you build your's?, How high? What do you think of the performance?

I'm probably still in the honeymoon stage with mine, but the more I use it, the more I like it. I've yet to see it beat my inverted V, Alpha-Delta DX-EE dipole in any tests I've run (I have both antennas hooked up via an AB switch). My main criteria for testing is using the internet beacon receiving stations & the automatic PSK reception report system. I constantly get 50% more stations responding to beacons on the loop than I get on my dipole.

I have some issues with the lower bands (my loop being cut to 40m), but the more I play with 30 & 20 meters, the more I'm starting to love this antenna...