Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ham

New Ham

So, I'd like to pass along a little bit of good news, and maybe a little serendipity, to all...

For background, my wife is a Coach and Manager for the Miracle League of the South Hills. Her team is composed of adults with, well, physical or other difficulties, and this gives them an opportunity to play a little baseball as a team... as much for the social aspects as the athletic ones. (Her record? 0 - 0 - 148. Seems every game manages to end in a tie, but I digress)

Last fall, they had the usual "end of season" party for the benefits of players, coaches, and their families. Of course we went.

The Boss introduced me to a fellow coach of hers. She introduced us to her husband, Sam, who is also in IT, so we got to talking. And when it came out that I had an Amateur ticket, he got VERY excited, because he had been studying and was looking for a little help -- and a test session.

Last week (04/18) he tested at the Steel City ARC VEC session... passed his Tech and General.

FCC posted his new call online today: KC3YZM (Yeah, we gotta work on THAT mouthful)

I have a Radio Shack HTX-10 to loan him, and 80/40 dipole left to me by a ham leaving the area to give to a newbie... it's his... and offers from members of the WASH club for an HT and a mobile/base rig. We'll get him setup!

BTW, Sam is in his late 20's or early 30's... and one of the reasons it took him so long to get tested, well, his YF was about 8 3/4 months pregnant when we first talked, and he now has a daughter!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Congrats to him, and you for helping him there, i hope he has lots of fun and will go on learning to get the full license ;),and have lots of fun.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

so, what you're saying is that he's not going to have time for ham radio for the next few years :)

still, well done!
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

My nephew and his wife may be joining Sam. He's also in that particular field (Seems Uncle Fred was a bad influence... ).
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Are we breaking out the good china?

If it's good china, why break it?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Tradition!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

↑↑↑
    ↑↑↑ Why do I feel like that is analogous to erecting antennas?

Quote Originally Posted by kb2crk View Post
    Sacrilege! Using a clip of Topol!

Zero Mostel was the first, best Tevye!

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!