Thread: "You're Going To Need A Bigger Boat (Anchor)!"... so I got one...

"You're Going To Need A Bigger Boat (Anchor)!"... so I got one...

Like I need another project. [ I may have to retire just to work on all of these... nah... ]

Was contacted a few weeks ago by a local ham about my age. He's retiring from his job at local municipality, and it just so happens that he has a couple of old rigs that were his father's (who I knew many, many years ago from one of the local clubs). One of them was a Hallicrafters SX-117, and he'd heard that I liked and sometimes collected Hallicrafters...

We met up tonight... and the municipal building, seems he has a trailer parked in the back. Got the SX-117... and an HT-37 transmitter, a couple of DowKey relays (including one in a "wiring harness" for the equipment), mike and manuals. He figured I might want the whole package. Couldn't pass it up...

I'd forgotten how heavy an HT-37 is.

Gear looks to be in decent shape, though the transmitter case could use some rust removal and a fresh coat of paint. Glenn told me the equipment was last on the air about 8-9 years ago, before his father passed; Seth used them on a regular basis until his passing. Not to worry. I have a variac.

Well, now I've got to find some bench space, and then we'll see.

I always liked the HT-37. I traded a troublesome HW-100 for one, also got an SX-101 in the deal, back in the late 1970's. That was the equipment that composed my first real working HF station. My last one was paired with an SX-111... plus a modified HT-41 linear, 6 and 2 meter transverters, TO keyer, and I had to sell all of it off after I got laid off and needed the shekels. So I'm glad to have one back.

But what do I do with the Swan 350, currently sitting in the garage, waiting for restoration?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

CongratS!
    Sometimes there are days that I miss my old SP-600.

I like boat anchors too. Here’s one of mine:

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Helluva air brake there.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Like I need another project. [ I may have to retire just to work on all of these... nah... ]

Was contacted a few weeks ago by a local ham about my age. He's retiring from his job at local municipality, and it just so happens that he has a couple of old rigs that were his father's (who I knew many, many years ago from one of the local clubs). One of them was a Hallicrafters SX-117, and he'd heard that I liked and sometimes collected Hallicrafters...

We met up tonight... and the municipal building, seems he has a trailer parked in the back. Got the SX-117... and an HT-37 transmitter, a couple of DowKey relays (including one in a "wiring harness" for the equipment), mike and manuals. He figured I might want the whole package. Couldn't pass it up...

I'd forgotten how heavy an HT-37 is.

Gear looks to be in decent shape, though the transmitter case could use some rust removal and a fresh coat of paint. Glenn told me the equipment was last on the air about 8-9 years ago, before his father passed; Seth used them on a regular basis until his passing. Not to worry. I have a variac.

Well, now I've got to find some bench space, and then we'll see.

I always liked the HT-37. I traded a troublesome HW-100 for one, also got an SX-101 in the deal, back in the late 1970's. That was the equipment that composed my first real working HF station. My last one was paired with an SX-111... plus a modified HT-41 linear, 6 and 2 meter transverters, TO keyer, and I had to sell all of it off after I got laid off and needed the shekels. So I'm glad to have one back.

But what do I do with the Swan 350, currently sitting in the garage, waiting for restoration?
    Ron, I smell the bait! Right now I'm picking up a complete Swan 500 so I'm kind of Swan'd out! Hang on to it and when I get the other stuff settled I'll contact you.

"Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    Ron, I smell the bait! Right now I'm picking up a complete Swan 500 so I'm kind of Swan'd out! Hang on to it and when I get the other stuff settled I'll contact you.

”Smelled” the bait? That hint wasn’t exactly subtle!

i had a shot at a Swan 700, belongs to a member of my club. Still thinking about it...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati