Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

Needless to say, I was a touch surprised yesterday morning, walking around the club hamfest, when I spotted THIS T-Shirt...

2458.jpg
    Complete with manifesto... and yes, he was recruiting...
    2459.jpg
    Note the start date. I do believe that they're just a little late to the party...

And yes, K3PQ did acknowledge that there are "a few" groups using the IoMH name. But that they were first. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

...on edit... forgot to mention, if you go the website, they're the "Misfit Hams ARC. Hmmm. Wonder if someone said something to them...
    Last edited by W3WN; 02-26-2024 at 07:32 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Hey, don't let these guys get away with this stuff. Not that there is anything wrong with imitation, but I'm not keen on someone compromising the idea behind this place. They can join up or fuck off in my never so humble opinion.

But I'm a zed reject. Lol. What do I know.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

The REAL 'Island of Misfit Hams' was started on January 19, 2007 by Mike Wood, AL2N, on a dare from a misguided QRZ moderator.

It's possible that this group wasn't even aware of us when they started their club. They seem totally focused on promoting good will with amateur radio.

It's obvious who coined the name "Island of Misfit Hams" first. They should recognize that at the very least...

I think it's a rip off of Mike's work, posing as the IOMH. Probably not actionable, but it's something I will remember and if I got a chance, I'd be happy to remind them of this fact.

FFS, how hard was a web search prior to stealing the name.
    Last edited by WZ7U; 02-26-2024 at 09:26 PM.

Like that post was...

Is this what is driving traffic here?

I have no idea, but it would be nice if we had more traffic, no?

Not sure that is the right way to go, letting some name thiefs muddy the water.

Like that post was...

No issues with traffic. Just a question.
    Mambership has its pribble lidges.

Well, I do wonder if something like that would increase traffic just from the curiosity effect. It can't hurt, right? I guess I'm just bent over the reason behind it and don't want to see the site hurt for it.

Other sites have advertising and I see where increasing traffic in that model would be beneficial to the sites bottom line. Does increased traffic harm us here or is it a net neutral sum game?

Like that post was...

I can't imagine any significant impact... they only have a dozen or so members. I'm guessing most of their exposure is at/from hamfests.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Well, I do wonder if something like that would increase traffic just from the curiosity effect. It can't hurt, right? I guess I'm just bent over the reason behind it and don't want to see the site hurt for it.

Other sites have advertising and I see where increasing traffic in that model would be beneficial to the sites bottom line. Does increased traffic harm us here or is it a net neutral sum game?
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

By the way, Luke, I designed the radio dial logo years ago and still have all the original files if you ever need them.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.