Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GE Appliances & "Acts of Nature"

LG is GTG these days.

Many other things are not. I'm looking for the so-called "smart" appliances to adopt the "-as a service" model. You pay a monthly or per-run fee for the privilege of using something you bought.

I'd rather cook over an open wood fire if it comes to that, and one still can in my current surroundings if need be.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    Ron,

Just replaced the magnetron in my GE over the oven microwave. For informational purposes, GE microwaves are built by either Samsung or Goldstar, later years say from 2018/19 made by LG.

They slap a GE label on them.
    Had to have 3 magnetrons replaced in the Samsung Microwave we used to have. Luckily it was under warranty all 3 times. Sold it right after the last repair and bought a whirlpool gold. that was 11 years ago and its still going strong.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

I have a Panasonic that just turned 37. Had to put a new motor to spin the platter maybe 15 years ago? Have it in my office at work and it's used by many every day. Fingers crossed it'll make 40!
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

didn't ge license their name out a while back?i don't think they make consumer goods anymore...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

GE (the conglomoration, or what's left of it) sold off GE Appliances. Separate owner now. Explains a lot.

So, we never heard from the 3rd party. I called Service back. And waited on hold. For almost an hour. That hold music I think is DESIGNED to drive you away... did try the "call back" option, but they called the house, not my cell phone, since I was at work. (The ~hour hold was the 2nd attempt)

Actually spoke, finally, to a very nice lady. Explained that we'd never been contacted. Turned out that the 3rd party had logged that they tried to call us, and tried to visit on the scheduled day, but the door was locked and no one was home. Nice try. The Boss is now semi-retired (she's working part time again, but wasn't that day) and was home all day, with the front door open and the screen door with the screen open. You couldn't miss that someone was in the room watching TV, waiting for them.

Grrrrr.

So long story short, we're rescheduled for the 8th. THIS time, though, it won't be a 3rd party, it will be GE Techs themselves. Allegedly worth the wait. We shall see.

Meanwhile, our 6 year old GE washing machine just developed an issue with the tub. Something is catching and grinding. Long out of warranty, of course... the Boss went with a Whirlpool, it's being delivered on Thursday morning. We explained why we were tired of GE (washing machine makes 3/3 failures in a row) to the sales lady, she mentioned that NOBODY makes them to last like they used to anymore... except Speed Queen, which are still made of "all steel" and should last 25 years -- and are priced accordingly (exceeded our budget, sadly). She recommended the extended warranty, for $200 for 5 years, on the grounds that if the motherboard goes (and they all have motherboards these days), the replacement cost is at least $350 plus labor. Fair enough.

We shall see.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Received an email this morning at 0804. GE Technician arrived at the house.

Received an email this morning at 0836. Service Receipt from GE Technician "Roxy 785". 1 Diode & Cable Assembly, 1 High Voltage Capacitor, and a "TCO+MGT" screw kit. No charge.

What do you know? Once I finally got the right people involved, they honored the warranty after all! I'd say "yay!" but that really shouldn't be something to be celebrated, it should be expected.

(I'm still not inclined to buy another GE Appliance in the near future.)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Old whirlpool washing machine 19 years young heavy use no repairs done or needed, doesn't want to die.
    Candy tumble dryer 12 years old just keep clean remove lint works like new.
    Magnetron cheap Aldi own brand Medion, thing 20 years old still goes like new...
    Samsung fridge/freezer large one 10 years old, only problem Led numbers in blue for temperature going on the blink.
    LG 4 K Telly used 12 hours daily 4 years old as new, that one was a bit more expensive, 50 Inch model with all fancy stuff from 4 years back.
    Oldest in the house? Heathkit SB 1000 30+ years one rebuild and new 3-500ZG tube...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Well, the Boss gave me an earful when I got home.

The GEA Tech was rude, Curt, and totally ignored her. He did fix the thing in a half hour... and left a box full of parts in a box in the kitchen when he left, just told her to throw it out. ( Box has a brand new magnetron in it. Hmmmm... ). He clearly resented being there. Nice.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!