Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Just Pulled the Trigger…

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    The Yaesu.
    Gesundheit.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I saw a lot of really nice 30 year old radios on ebay. But that's just it. They're 30 years old. I even saw a lot of 20 year old radios on ebay. Again, they're 20 years old. I mean, if they were selling for a couple of hundred bucks, that would be one thing but they're not.
    Would I love a Yaesu FT-920? Yes, but it will need another however many hundred $ to do a full cap replacement and then alignment.

I am not of that frame of mind.

Why not buy a brand new radio? For the price of the Icom 7300 or the Yaesu 710 plus the performance of newer technology, the only reason for an old rig has to be nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I saw a lot of really nice 30 year old radios on ebay. But that's just it. They're 30 years old. I even saw a lot of 20 year old radios on ebay. Again, they're 20 years old. I mean, if they were selling for a couple of hundred bucks, that would be one thing but they're not.
    Would I love a Yaesu FT-920? Yes, but it will need another however many hundred $ to do a full cap replacement and then alignment.

I am not of that frame of mind.

Why not buy a brand new radio? For the price of the Icom 7300 or the Yaesu 710 plus the performance of newer technology, the only reason for an old rig has to be nostalgia.
    I agree with you completely, which is why I sprung for the 7300. With the rebate, it didn’t cost that much more than I paid for a used 746PRO about ten years ago and the receiver is worlds ahead.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Some things to know before connecting a new Yaesu FT-DX10 or 710 to a monitor.

To PRESUME IS the MOTHER OF ALL Fxxx Uxx,

Quote Originally Posted by K8PG View Post
    To PRESUME IS the MOTHER OF ALL Fxxx Uxx,
    Please don't troll the technical forums. Thanks.

There's a good reason for buying vintage gear of certain time frames:

One can usually get parts. If the rig in question doesn't use a lot of custom/bespoke components, or if the aftermarket offers suitable replacements (e.g., Drake 7-line digital displays)...or if a model was so popular that the required spare can be sourced from the various eBay parts sellers and the like, you're probably okay to purchase.

I'm set up to do high-pin-density QFP and BGA rework, so performing brain surgery on a late-model SDR-based rig isn't that big of a challenge. If Icom won't sell me the parts, I'm SOL just like everyone else.

That said, I'm still going to get an IC-7300, IC-9700 and R-8600 at some point; these for remote control (for when I'm not physically in the main shack). I also realize that purchase may be considered disposable if Icom stops service support of them at a future point.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I did not mention that. Yes, there is that. Parts and restoration.

First notes on receive audio.
    The Yaesu FT-710 AESS (Acoustic Enhanced Speaker System) is simply the best audio coming from a dedicated ham radio I have ever heard. I have in the past experimented with many speaker configurations with my Ten-Tec Corsair, Kenwood 570D, Ten-Tec Argonaut V and various receivers and it just literally blows everything away.

The external speaker is 2.5 by 3 inches in diameter and 12 inches long. It works in conjunction with the radio's built in speaker and can be adjusted so the user can decide how much sound comes out of each speaker as well as listener frequency range. You can go from beautiful full range audio to narrow voice range and balance how much audio each speaker gets. It makes the guys on SSB sound like AM broadcasters during a ragchew and contesters sound like they're sitting right there next to you speaking in a normal voice.

If you're a fan of good listening audio then I think the FT-710 AESS is something you will want to add to your list when shopping for a rig in this class.

Next up: Getting the OCFD back up in the air and doing a real receiver signal test. Right now I'm using one of the 10m dipoles I have up and so far receiver performance is above par across the bands. Thus far, it beats both the Ten-Tecs on the same antenna. I no longer have the 570D but I think it would have come in 2nd place but that's based on old memory.