Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Pulled the Trigger…

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    No sir. I mean the 7300. I see the link to the cable.
    Oh, sorry. I got mine from Gigaparts but the price is pretty much the same everywhere. Except HRO, of course. They were a few bucks higher.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by NQ6U View Post
    Oh, sorry. I got mine from Gigaparts but the price is pretty much the same everywhere. Except HRO, of course. They were a few bucks higher.
    That's what I see. I'm wondering about Gigaparts rep as a retailer etc. HRO and Amazon are selling for about the same price except HRO offers to remove a diode for $45.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002065

Diode disposal service: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002337

I could also drive down to HRO in Atlanta or stop by next time I'm in the area. Last time I was there it was literally half the size of a Radio Shack™ and I had to present ID to make a purchase.
    The Amazon linkus: https://www.amazon.com/7300-02-Direct-Sampling-Shortwave/dp/B01C95F56M/

ID to purchase? Huh.....
    Selling guns at HRO now?
    Was there a waiting period to pick up the radio?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I would never buy anything like a ham radio transceiver from Amazon; they seem to have problems with fragile, big ticket items like that, plus there’s always the possibility of getting a used or counterfeit item from them. They’ve gotten really bad in that respect. You should see some of the crap people bring into the store that they bought on Amazon. My “favorite” was a fake Racor fuel filter/water separator. The hard plastic sediment bowl had become a more or less melted into a soft, rubbery thing from contact with gasoline. It almost certainly would have failed catastrophically before much longer and probably caused an engine room fire.

I’ve bought a few items from Gigaparts and it’s been fine — reasonable shipping cost, the 7300 came double boxed, maybe not the quickest order turn around out there but fast enough.

I probably would have paid HRO’s premium and bought it from our local store, except I couldn’t because they closed it last year. Closest HRO is now in Anaheim, about two and a half hours away.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 02-13-2024 at 06:13 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    ID to purchase? Huh.....
    Selling guns at HRO now?
    It was 1999. No waiting period. I don't have any jokes for it. It was like, back in time, even for back then.
    Ah, they still had the brown wood paneling for the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    ID to purchase? Huh.....
    […]
    “When radios are outlawed only outlaws will have radios”

“You can take my radio when you pry it from my cold, dead hands”

Quote Originally Posted by NQ6U View Post
    I would never buy anything like a ham radio transceiver from Amazon; they seem to have problems with fragile, big ticket items like that, plus there’s always the possibility of getting a used or counterfeit item from them. They’ve gotten really bad in that respect. You should see some of the crap people bring into the store that they bought on Amazon. My “favorite” was a fake Racor fuel filter/water separator. The hard plastic sediment bowl had become a more or less melted into a soft, rubbery thing from contact with gasoline. It almost certainly would have failed catastrophically before much longer and probably caused an engine room fire.

I’ve bought a few items from Gigaparts and it’s been fine — reasonable shipping cost, the 7300 came double boxed, maybe not the quickest order turn around out there but fast enough.

I probably would have paid HRO’s premium and bought it from our local store, except I couldn’t because they closed it last year. Closest HRO is now in Anaheim, about two and a half hours away.
    ATL is roughly 2.5 hours. I go to Atlanta all the time it seems. Often to the other side of it in Union City.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    ATL is roughly 2.5 hours. I go to Atlanta all the time it seems. Often to the other side of it in Union City.
    I never go to Anaheim if can help it unless I have to pass through on my way to somewhere farther north. Although it’s become more purple than red over the last few years, I still tend to think of all of Orange County as enemy territory.

FWIW, I’ve been dealing with Gigaparts for over 20 years, never had an issue.

Although it was first as a computer vendor. Didn’t find out ie was owned by hams until I placed my first order over the phone and talked with one of them.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati