Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Pulled the Trigger…

Well now, true as that might be, it's only 13 on a good day.

I am being optimistic about my ability and should have said 8-10. I stumble quite a bit still.

Some day I will hear fast. I insist

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

A screenshot of my PSK Reporter page from yesterday:

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I am approaching the time when I too will pull the trigger on a 7300. I will pair it with my old OCFD after I inspect and rework some of the wire.
    Any recommended accessories?
    Does it come with a cable to pair it with your computer?

I spend 99% of my time on amateur radio just listening. I will not be using using it on 10m. I have a dedicated 10m rig and a dedicated 10m dipole that covers the planet.

I am also a MW (AMBCB) DX'er. Just one of those things I've been doing since 2nd grade. Has anyone tuned in on MW with a 7300?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I am also a MW (AMBCB) DX'er. Just one of those things I've been doing since 2nd grade. Has anyone tuned in on MW with a 7300?
    We have a large 10M group in the area.

95% of its members have a 7300; one has two. They occasionally show up with other rigs but it's a favorite. Next time I'm on frequency I'll pop the question and see the responses.

My current weapons of choice for MW are a Drake R-7, JRC NRD-515 or Mackay Marine 3031A. The FT-980 doesn't do bad there either.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

My current weapons of choice for MW are a Drake R-7, JRC NRD-515 or Mackay Marine 3031A. The FT-980 doesn't do bad there either.
    I was looking at a Kenwood 570D like I had back in the day. Did the jumper attenuator "mod" to open up reception for everything below 1.8 Mhz. I actually received 2 longwave broadcasts one night. One out of Germany and one out of Saudi Arabia. So, we're talking 20 years ago. The 7300 has a simple attenuator in the menu that is defaulted to on below 1.8Mhz and only requires a couple of touches on the touchscreen.

I was looking at some of this era of Kenwood radios on Ebay. Still selling for the same price I paid 20 years ago on the used market. The thing to consider is that it is now a 30 year old radio. Getting long in the tooth as we like to say. The new stuff is just amazing and for the price range of the 7300, the receive quality can't be beat.

As I was looking into getting more information on the 7300, one of the places I checked out is HRO. Yaesu is offering rigs in the price range we're talking about but I know zero about them ... even after reading all the sales hype. I had an FT-100 25 years ago. Amazing receive for a rig of any size and this was a compact mobile. Problem was the SWR mod that had to be done after you ran into the issue and while it helped, it was only a band-aid to a design flaw they should have fixed early on, not let the buyer/user be their beta testers.

I have heard the 7300 on the air. Clean, clear audio, not too sharp, not dulled out. Perfect range and tonal quality.

(Of note with regard to MW DX) I bought a Ray Jefferson DF 640 a number of years ago. It is made for use on your sea faring, small pleasure vessel, fishing boats, what have you as long as it is indoors in the bridge or cabin. It has the rotatable double ferrite bar antenna on top. One night while sitting in the front yard I picked up a low power, Vietnamese language station at 1600 or 1610 out of Texas. I don't speak Vietnamese but I listened for a good 40 minutes until I could come to this conclusion just by listening. Later I looked it up online. Pretty impressive for something without a longwire strung up in the trees!

The 7300 does not come with a computer interface cable but all you need is a USB A-B printer cable. One caveat, though: cheap USB cables are poorly shielded. I had a lot of trouble at first until I purchased a Triplite cable with ferrite chokes at both ends. At a whopping twelve bucks on Amazon it was a little more expensive than most but it was worth it.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I guess the next question is, where is the best place to order from?

I have heard the 7300 on the air. Clean, clear audio, not too sharp, not dulled out. Perfect range and tonal quality.
    One of the locals owns every high-end transceiver made in the last 20 years. Flex, Electraft, YaeComWood...name it.

He did an A/B comparo one night with an IC-7851 and the 7300; these used the same equalization settings and mic.

Vast majority in the group told him to keep the 7300 and lose the 7851.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I guess the next question is, where is the best place to order from?
    I got mine from Amazon. There’s a link in my previous post.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 02-12-2024 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NQ6U View Post
    I got mine from Amazon. There’s a link in my previous post.
    No sir. I mean the 7300. I see the link to the cable.