Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s geekier than ham radio?

What’s geekier than ham radio?

Setting up a Mac-Linux client-server arrangement so you can control your ham radio with your computer remotely over a wireless network, that’s what.

I used some free, open source software, vfview, which is available for Windows, Mac and Linux and will work connected directly to the radio for rig control as well as remotely. It’s very slick and professional. Its only drawback, if you can call it that, is that it only works on Icom radios.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Icom only?

Lucky me. I am Icom only.

System latency is my only concern, albeit a small one. If I can mount the radio in the tree with the antenna and only have a B+/- going up the tree, I'm in.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    And use remotely with your phone?
    No, no version for Android or iOS yet.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Adult men playing with trains int he basement?
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Icom only?

Lucky me. I am Icom only.

System latency is my only concern, albeit a small one.
    There is some latency, but it's not terrible. I was able to have a successful FT8 QSO and, as you no doubt know, timing is critical in the digital modes.

If I can mount the radio in the tree with the antenna and only have a B+/- going up the tree, I'm in.
    The only problem involved with mounting your radio in the tree would be that unless you have a rig with built-in Wi-Fi, you’d need to have a server up there as well and it would need power and some sort of network connection. Power is not much of a issue — the Linux version will run on a Raspberry Pi, which could easily run off a battery that’s hooked up to a solar charger. Connection that server to a network is not quite so easy to solve, though.

I wrote the IC-751/R-71 drivers for flrig. This system (Mint Uma) is connected to those rigs and I can control them with flrig when running fldigi. wsjt-x has IC-751 support built in.

Server-client connectivity is done by NoMachine. Remote control is via a Galaxy A7 and HT-820 headset for audio duties, though I may replace the Motorola with a Jabra 75.

I need to make a PTT connection in the 751A to enable flrig to put the transceiver into transmit remotely, but everything else works. I can run wsjt-x from the tablet as-is, as the Signalink uses VOX to control T/R.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    Adult men playing with trains int he basement?
    Geeky. But not geekier.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

D & D?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Harry Potter binge watching?
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"